Painting Dog

Shaking Bottles of Paint

It seems like a bit of an extravagant thing to spend money on. RMS aren't too demanding in their shaking requirements, but the last time I did my yearly paint check to add water and such, my weak/slightly injured wrist protested quite strongly the next day. So I'm feeling it's less of an extravagance now. ;->

I have three of the best (and therefore, the most relatively expensive) paint shakers ever made!  *pssts, (insert child's name here), Come shake this for Daddy!*... 

• Like 7

It's a little pricy, but for me, there is a convenience factor.  And I don't paint as often as I used to, so my paints tend to settle quite a bit, so I want them really well mixed.  And with 8 at a whack, I can throw the paints I am planning to use for a session in all at once, let it run while I get the rest of my stuff out.

Plus, if I plan to do a massive shake up, I am free to do other activities while the machine does the work for me.

I also bought it quite awhile ago, looks like the used prices have gone up about $25-ish bucks.  More the $75-100 range.

These are designed to work in a lab, and do lots of work, so they are amazingly sturdy and well built.

I would NEVER pay for a new one.  That is far too extravagant.  Okay, if I was independently wealthy, I probably would.  But I am not even remotely close to that.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I think the Vortex sounds like exactly what I'm looking for -- and you're right, Qwyksilver, there are quite a few on eBay for reasonable prices.

The 8-at-a-time method appeals to me mainly because painting is something of a boom-and-bust activity for me.  I'll have the time to do all kinds of painting for a while, then months might pass before I can get to it again.  Having to spend the first 40 minutes of a session picking out my colors and shaking them is a drag!

Thanks again!

As someone who used to work in a laboratory, I would be reluctant to buy a used vortex mixer without knowing exactly what it was used for, or at least how well it has been cleaned.  It's not uncommon for distinctly unpleasant things to get spilled on them in the lab, especially if used by students.

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 4

Haldir suggested I post my paint shaker and how I made it.

post-1846-0-25851200-1429918251_thumb.jpg

It's not fancy but it gets the job done.

Electric knife from the thrift store - $2

Large pill bottle - free

Gaffer/Duct tape

Foam

The most difficult part will be cutting the blades down to size.  I used my Dremel with new cutting wheels. Do this outside - there will be sparks.  I made sure mine would fit under the safety tab on the bottle.

Then I used a redstone grinding bit to dull the remaining blade and smooth out any burrs on the cut end.

A couple of swipes with sandpaper gave me a flatter, rougher surface on the pill bottle where I was going to attach the blade.

Superglue to hold the bottle to the blade while I worked.  And it might make it a bit more secure when it's used.

Gaffer/Duct tape in 2 stages - small pieces to secure the blade about half way around the bottle.  Then large pieces to completely wrap around the whole thing.

I had a nice piece of blister foam from a Dystopian Wars mini that fit inside perfectly.  My dropper bottles will stay in place no matter what.

Something that's not in the picture is what I did with the second blade.  I was worried about torque from the bottle so I cut that blade off at the bottom so both pieces can be inserted into the knife.  Now I don't need to worry about the blade coming loose inside when I'm using it.

And that's how I made a paint shaker.  I'm pleased with the results and no more sore wrists.

Hopefully this helps people make their own. :B):

• Like 7

My paint shaker is a drill attachment that holds the bottle horizontal and spins the bottle.  I made it with a 1" pvc end cap that I drilled a hole into the center of and then put a bolt through and is held by a nut.  Inside the cap I have a couple pieces of the Velcro to keep the bottle inside.

4llEAPS.jpg

• Like 6

I love all these devices people have made for paint shaking!  It makes me feel not so weird for having this be something that's been on my mind, now that I know it's considered an issue all of us think about and deal with.  :)

Thanks for sharing, everybody!  Lots to think about.

• Like 1

Robert brought a Vortex Mixer to ReaperCon, and was so kind as to show me how it works and let me try it out. Very convincing demonstration! I probably didn't get the best deal, since I'm not an expert Ebayer, but last week I got one that wasn't too beat up looking, and which included the touch option. So you leave it on, but it doesn't do anything until you hold a bottle on the pad.

Years ago I had a Robart's paint shaker. The strap broke pretty quickly, and I put it aside. When I dug it up again a little while ago, the place where you put the bottle had separated from the machine, and I did not see an easy way to repair that. (Though I am like the least handy person ever, which is one of the reasons I didn't go homemade shaker solution.) I did a web search and a few other people had had the same problem. Ditto with reviews on the nail polish shaker I found in the same price range. Plus both require extra time/bother to insert and remove the bottle, compared with just holding it in place for 30 seconds or so. 

• Like 3

Robert brought a Vortex Mixer to ReaperCon, and was so kind as to show me how it works and let me try it out. Very convincing demonstration! I probably didn't get the best deal, since I'm not an expert Ebayer, but last week I got one that wasn't too beat up looking, and which included the touch option. So you leave it on, but it doesn't do anything until you hold a bottle on the pad.

It's wonderfully effective.  Glad you like yours.  Definitely not for someone on a tight budget, but if you can afford it, yeah, definitely worth the money.

• Like 1

Hehe, Robert's mixer convinced me to buy one as well.  I got a good price ($52 incl shipping), but the Touch function doesn't work.  Oh well, still works well enough overall for what I need even if it isn't quite as convenient.  

I think that mine has seen much use.   ::):

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 1

Pegazus posted a WIP thread recently about his efforts to 3D-print a hand-cranked single-bottle paint shaker... It's still in the prototype stages, but looks promising.

• Like 1

Can't get a used vortex shaker here, and you all know I am a bit obsessed about shaking paints.

Mum works in a lab and said they have one laying there, unused, for ages... they don't use it anymore. So I asked her if perhaps I could borrow it for testing? And who knows, if nobody uses and it is just laying there, then I can keep it until somebody remembers it's gone  :;):  :devil:

• Like 10

While I'll completely agree that the Vortex is probably the best option, I'm still a big fan of the ProShaker.  I've had mine for almost a year and it's still going strong, hasn't missed a beat.  The only real issue with it is that it shakes a single pot of paint at a time.  However, now I think of it it should be simple enough to build a holder for multiple pots at a time and anchor it in place.  I might look into that.

[Edit]Now I think of it, the mechanism is so simple you MIGHT be able to shake 3 pots at a time simply by using a few rubber bands.  I might give that a try tonight.

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1