Painting Dog

Shaking Bottles of Paint

Robert brought a Vortex Mixer to ReaperCon, and was so kind as to show me how it works and let me try it out. Very convincing demonstration! I probably didn't get the best deal, since I'm not an expert Ebayer, but last week I got one that wasn't too beat up looking, and which included the touch option. So you leave it on, but it doesn't do anything until you hold a bottle on the pad.

Years ago I had a Robart's paint shaker. The strap broke pretty quickly, and I put it aside. When I dug it up again a little while ago, the place where you put the bottle had separated from the machine, and I did not see an easy way to repair that. (Though I am like the least handy person ever, which is one of the reasons I didn't go homemade shaker solution.) I did a web search and a few other people had had the same problem. Ditto with reviews on the nail polish shaker I found in the same price range. Plus both require extra time/bother to insert and remove the bottle, compared with just holding it in place for 30 seconds or so. 

I always leave mine plugged in and ready to go.  But I've got the attachment on mine that let's you put up to 8 bottles in it at once and then I just flip the toggle switch.  When I pull some new paint out, I just put them in there first and they are shaken, not stirred.

While I'll completely agree that the Vortex is probably the best option, I'm still a big fan of the ProShaker.  I've had mine for almost a year and it's still going strong, hasn't missed a beat.  The only real issue with it is that it shakes a single pot of paint at a time.  However, now I think of it it should be simple enough to build a holder for multiple pots at a time and anchor it in place.  I might look into that.

[Edit]Now I think of it, the mechanism is so simple you MIGHT be able to shake 3 pots at a time simply by using a few rubber bands.  I might give that a try tonight.

Just be careful, the extra mass on the tip of the arm will increase the fatigue and force on said shaker "arm", and thus the device might break sooner.

• Like 1

While I'll completely agree that the Vortex is probably the best option, I'm still a big fan of the ProShaker.  I've had mine for almost a year and it's still going strong, hasn't missed a beat.  The only real issue with it is that it shakes a single pot of paint at a time.  However, now I think of it it should be simple enough to build a holder for multiple pots at a time and anchor it in place.  I might look into that.

[Edit]Now I think of it, the mechanism is so simple you MIGHT be able to shake 3 pots at a time simply by using a few rubber bands.  I might give that a try tonight.

Just be careful, the extra mass on the tip of the arm will increase the fatigue and force on said shaker "arm", and thus the device might break sooner.

While this is true, it's also designed for nail varnish pots which tend to mass a lot more than plastic dropper bottles, it's a very simple, robust design, and it's ridiculously over-engineered.  Shouldn't be a problem.

I always leave mine plugged in and ready to go.  But I've got the attachment on mine that let's you put up to 8 bottles in it at once and then I just flip the toggle switch.  When I pull some new paint out, I just put them in there first and they are shaken, not stirred.

It's a tempting thought to buy the attachment, but I think I'll stick with one at a time for now. At least until the extravagance of the first purchase fades. ;-> 

• Like 1

It's a tempting thought to buy the attachment, but I think I'll stick with one at a time for now. At least until the extravagance of the first purchase fades. ;-> 

I had the same thought, but the attachment for multiple bottles would have been about $120 on Amazon.  At that rate, I'd probably better off getting a new one on Amazon (but a different brand) for about $200 and selling my used one.

Ron

While this is true, it's also designed for nail varnish pots which tend to mass a lot more than plastic dropper bottles, it's a very simple, robust design, and it's ridiculously over-engineered.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the Robart small box with a flailing arm on top, which is reported to break easily, not the big-elf nail polish shaker. Yeah, I would not hesistate overload that one LOL

• Like 1

Yeah the tray and foam inserts direct from Scientific American is $117.

Don't recall where I got mine.  But I know I didn't pay near that amount.  And you can always get some foam and make your own!

Yeah the tray and foam inserts direct from Scientific American is $117.

Don't recall where I got mine.  But I know I didn't pay near that amount.  And you can always get some foam and make your own!

I didn't either.  The price I mentioned was brand new, direct from the manufacturer.  I didn't pay $117 for my vortex mixer with the attachment.

So how noisy is the Vorex or Proshaker vs the micromark one?  Its pretty noisy.

All I can comment on is the noise level of the Vortex mixer.  And I don't think it is a problem.

Edited by Harrek

It's been so long since I used the Robart's (which is the one I see in stock at Micromark), that I don't think I can 100% compare them. The vortex mixer is mostly the sound of the motor, especially if you use it with the touch feature so it only operates when you hold a paint bottle to it. It's industrial strength, so that's not a puny motor, but it's heavy so it's not shaking all around the desk or anything. The Robart's has a much flimsier casing, so it did shake some IIRC. It also operates by shaking the arm that you strap the paint into, so there's more physical shaking noise potential on top of the motor sound.

The vortex mixer is louder than my husband's electric shaver, but quieter than our Dyson vacuum. I try not to use it when he's asleep, but my paint room is directly across the hall from the bedroom.

So how noisy is the Vorex or Proshaker vs the micromark one? Its pretty noisy.

I can't really compare them - I only have the ProShaker and its been a long time since I heard a test-tube shaker. But the best way to describe the ProShaker in use is to say "walk without rythym and you won't attract the worm".

It's effectively a thumper. The noise of the motor isn't bad but the motion it uses gives a thumping vibration, and the sound of metal on metal from the flywheel gives it a sussuration. It's not overly loud, I can watch a show or listen to music with it on, but it is distinctive and I wouldn't run it while people in the same building were trying to sleep.