fanguad

2015 Summer Exchange - Chatter thread

the word Reaper tends to figure prominently on the old label of most of the boxes I use to ship minis in... 

I wish I still had access to a blowfoam machine, wrap mini in plastic, blow goo into box, seal box against escaping foam.  Wish the PO luck with destroying whatever is inside. (yes I was a smartelf and challenged a few postal clerks in my day)

• Like 4

Could I PLEASE ask that in future exchanges, when people ship, DO NOT use thin pasteboard boxes!!!!  Perhaps it is just the gorilla that are working for the POs in North Carolina or perhaps just my mail, idk.

Pasteboard is EASILY crushed to the point that one end of the box opens up.   The results can be bases split in half, the minis bent, paint rubbed badly, and in some cases parts missing though the open boxes.

If you mail Priority, the boxes at the PO are FREE!!!!   I have also heard they were free if you wrap them in plain brown paper to cover up the priority marking when mailing first class or PP, but as this is not the PO's intent I would not have any ideas on this subject.    Otherwise, hit your local store that deals in Magic cards..the white storage boxes tend to run only a dollar or two.

I know that for the minis that I paint and the effort they take me are worth a little extra to get them to their destination in one piece (Callindra Silverspell arm not withstanding because that thing breaks loose if you just stare at it too long!!)

You bring up a good point. 

Everyone should try to wrap their exchanges up securely and with plenty of protection (foam, newspaper, plastic bubble wrap) in a normal box. We know that the gorillas at the USPS like to be rough with packages, so take the extra time and do it right with something that you've spent 3 months painting up for someone. The Flat Rate boxes are free, the USPS will even deliver you a stack of 10 of them (FREE and any sizes), they also pick up your package at your front door/mailbox if you pay for the postage online and choose the option (labels are even at a discount if you print at home). 

• Like 3

I have received my surprise from VegasCat today.   A very well done mini.  For those of you with a clown phobia you may want to close your eyes.. this dude is one twisted and possessed court jester!

or to be more precise  02106 Hecklemeyer, Jester

I really like the dark nature of this guy and the glowing eyes of both him and the staff clearly shows the maniacal inner chaotic soul possessing them!

He has now been added to my display shelf in his own place of honor.

Thanks VegasCat!

Glad you like him!  I've had him for quite some time to paint and so this gave me an excellent reason to paint him!

• Like 4

Got a little package of AWESOME from FireElemental!!!! :D There was very much squeeing and happiness when I opened it. Everything was very well packed and arrived in perfect condition! I will post pictures in a bit, need to find my camera cord. :bday:

Thank you sooooooo much!!!! ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

You're welcome! Glad you like them. I've posted pics of them in the show thread, so you don't need to deal with pictures unless you want to.

Couatl

Pudgy Tree Fairy

And kitty in the spoiler because she doesn't really deserve her own thread.

post-13159-0-23189300-1437595422.jpg

• Like 4

Okay. According to tracking both packages are delivered. So I am now hopeful on the matter....

And anxious again...

• Like 5

Received a very nice mini from Fremen. The color combination is very nice. The sword and the shield are especially good.Really like the design on the shield.

post-13422-0-71024000-1437680105_thumb.jpgpost-13422-0-75800700-1437680107_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Could I PLEASE ask that in future exchanges, when people ship, DO NOT use thin pasteboard boxes!!!!  Perhaps it is just the gorilla that are working for the POs in North Carolina or perhaps just my mail, idk.

Pasteboard is EASILY crushed to the point that one end of the box opens up.   The results can be bases split in half, the minis bent, paint rubbed badly, and in some cases parts missing though the open boxes.

If you mail Priority, the boxes at the PO are FREE!!!!   I have also heard they were free if you wrap them in plain brown paper to cover up the priority marking when mailing first class or PP, but as this is not the PO's intent I would not have any ideas on this subject.    Otherwise, hit your local store that deals in Magic cards..the white storage boxes tend to run only a dollar or two.

I know that for the minis that I paint and the effort they take me are worth a little extra to get them to their destination in one piece (Callindra Silverspell arm not withstanding because that thing breaks loose if you just stare at it too long!!)

You bring up a good point. 

Everyone should try to wrap their exchanges up securely and with plenty of protection (foam, newspaper, plastic bubble wrap) in a normal box. We know that the gorillas at the USPS like to be rough with packages, so take the extra time and do it right with something that you've spent 3 months painting up for someone. The Flat Rate boxes are free, the USPS will even deliver you a stack of 10 of them (FREE and any sizes), they also pick up your package at your front door/mailbox if you pay for the postage online and choose the option (labels are even at a discount if you print at home). 

Priority boxes are for Priority rate mail only. They are pretty strict about that, and the clerks around here are very good at spotting those boxes.  

I don't favor newspaper (or tissues or paper towels) for packing, as it tends to flatten and shift during shipping. Bubble wrap and packing peanuts are the way to go.  I save the blister packs from minis to use as the first layer of protection.  You can also get small plastic storage containers at dollar stores, which are pretty good. 

• Like 2

I'm talking about the flat rate boxes. They are for whoever wants to use them and I've had them delivered to me with no problems or questions asked. I've also gone into the post office and grabbed armfuls of them as they are out and anyone can take for free.

ETA: I also always print labels from home. There's no rule against using the 2-3 day priority mail. If there was, I'd have not had a ton of packages delivered or shipped without problems. I think Inarah has a post office that's just lazy hehe

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Yay. I'm glad it arrived in one piece. I admit I was freaking out over doing that one. I kept making mistakes as I did it. I'm glad you liked it.

And yes pictures would be great. i forgot to take them before I packed them,,.

Well beyond a couple of terrible shots as NoZ asked to see it

• Like 6

Yup it made it here in one piece, I was a little worried about it as the box was a bit beat up but it made it fine. Oh and the frosting doesn't look bad the two places where it's notable it kinda works for the figures. On the harpy' tail it gives the feathers a shimmering effect and on the other guy it kinda looks like water droplets on his skin.

• Like 4

Thanks. That is a relief and I am glad they look pretty good for where it is noticeable. I am still glad you like it

Some of the beat up was likely due to my cats thinking it was their toy and the dog chasing them over it...

Animals can be crazy.

• Like 3