A fellow player in a Reign of Winter game has been "tooling around"* with an unpainted strumpet miniature. I offered to paint it if she told me what she should look like, and so I was given an unpainted Bones mini and a quick watercolor sketch to work off of. This is the result, after a couple hours of work!

post-12889-0-73561800-1430931284_thumb.jpg

post-12889-0-02552800-1430931286_thumb.jpg

post-12889-0-50987100-1430931283_thumb.jpg

post-12889-0-51476800-1430931288_thumb.jpg

post-12889-0-20727600-1430931287_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with her! She is not great, but I'm improving. This is also some of my better work on hair, ever. That Jessica Rich DVD from the kickstarter is starting to pay off.

However, I still did just a quick paint up (probably 2 hours...) and the quality needs to be higher. Things I know did not go as planned:

• The blending on the dress was incredibly subtle--not sure what I was thinking here, exactly, but the contrast should be way higher.
  • The blending on the hair highlights looked so much better before it dried. Oops. So mental note: esp. for a display piece, let it dry and then really check it out before you seal it. The transitions are way too abrupt as it stands.
  • General smoothness of blending everywhere could be improved.
  • Still on broccoli base. Sad.

Any additional C&C? Beyond the paint scheme, I suppose, since I'm working with a player's desired colors, anyway.

* as the kids would say it **

** back in the 50s, maybe...

Note: this is a repost! It looks like three posts, two of which I finished writing, all ended up with the same post ID, which caused all sorts of mayhem. Attachments only worked on one of these posts at a time and it looks like all of the tags got thrown together. This should fix the problem...

• Like 16

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      My D&D group's cleric picked the torch and scythe wielding townsfolk from this pack: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/townsfolk/latest/03123

My D&D group's cleric is an herbalist cleric. He provides the.... healing... herbs. Medicinal use herbs. He's an exceedingly chipper and happy character, much to the annoyance of the emo necrobard. 

But he uses a scythe, and decided to go with this figure. I don't like this figure. It has an ANGRY face. Super grumpy. All of the grump. Terrible choice for that character. 

Player told me that I didn't have to go high on the detail with it, so I didn't do as much as my usual. I still practiced OSL and I tried to turn the frown upside-down. I think the result is that he now looks like a very happy mass murderer, instead of just generically pissed. 

Anyway, rip it to shreds, lemme know what I can do better in the future. I didn't do the most exciting blending or layering or glazing by any stretch deliberately, though. 

I also was using a different location for my camera and I didn't feel like getting a perfect setup, so stuff is crooked and I'm not going to go back and take more photos. *HARUMPH*. 

• By Maledrakh
      Today saw the completion of the three Void Sorcerors:

Womma Womma Womma!

All my thin pointy brushes have given up on life and chosed to split, so I am struggling abit with thin lines these days. While waiting for some new brushes I have ordred to arrive, we get a bit shoddy with the freehand symbols such as in these books. It should still be possible to make out which symbols I have tried to paint in each of them though. I hope.

These are from the “Masters of the Void Deluxe Enemy Pack” for Shadows of Brimstone, the Wierd West lovecraftian horror scifi mashup dungeon delver. This pack also includes the three Void Hounds I did a few weeks ago. So that completes the minis from that expansion.

The void sorcerors are on 30mm bases, and are made from HIPS polystyre aka “hard plastic”.

• By Jessie
      Wanted to paint up some halloween themed minis in October so I painted up Gauntfield. He's on a base from Secret Weapon. He was a lot of fun, thanks for reading!

• By Jessie
      Painted up Feiya for my tempest cleric and painted up this other miniature that I don't know the name or number of (unreleased as of now I think) for my husband's rogue. I tried to paint his poncho sort of like schemes from Clint Eastwood's characters in the Sergio Leone movies. Feiya's base is milliput using a Green Stuff world roller (aztec) and the guy's base is one of the (again, Aztec series) Dragon Forge pre-made bases. Thanks for reading

• By NomadZeke
      I'm kinda on time!

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72577-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2017-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      (Is this a re-hash? I don't recall.)
      Fall! Modify/paint a mini/minis to be falling/fallen. (Translate fallen how you will.)

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      December 14th is National Bouillabaisse Day.  For those unfamiliar, this is a Fish Stew from southern France. Paint a mini that incorporates a fish motif.

Hard Mode Challenge!
      Under Wraps:
      Paint a mini so that anything that any armor-weapons-cloth-etc looks like it's patterned wrapping paper. This is assuming a humanoid figure. Dragons or such apply the same challenge to the whole body.

Stop the presses!
      Bonus, The third!
      With the breaking news of our beloved space pope leaving Reaper - let's see what you can paint up as a tribute to him. Bonus points for actually making a "bryanzilla" mini accurate to the avatar.

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
  • Who's Online   38 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)