Sign in to follow this  
Jaws

Narthrax: 77279, Aina: 77052, Gift Diorama

The girl next door requested a dragon for her birthday, after she saw me give one to somebody else. I really hate giving away miniatures, because I feel my painting is not good enough for displaying to random people. But.. What can you do? :P

Soo.. I figured I'd give it a go. 

Been working on these two on and off since yesterday evening:

post-13938-0-22576000-1431827209_thumb.jpg

Based one black, the other white:

post-13938-0-83881600-1431827211_thumb.jpg

The Valkyrie stood very low, so I sculpted a stand for her with a cork and some Fimo:

post-13938-0-29070300-1431827220_thumb.jpg

Didn't fit perfectly with the ridges, but I think I can get away with it as a whole:

post-13938-0-61292900-1431827222_thumb.jpg

And this is just about how it stands at the moment: 

post-13938-0-82792800-1431827228_thumb.jpg

I'd happily take some advice on base clutter. Something to make it more interesting.. I figured I'd just add some stones?

• Like 16

Looks good!

Ideas:

Stones, ruins, broken columns, tree stumps, taller grasses, flowers, treasure horde for dragon...

So many things you could add easily, what does the scene or figures inspire for you when you see them and think about it? What story do you want to tell and where are they?

• Like 4

Definitely more stones, and it might be worth your while to do a bunch of rubble around the base of the large rocks jutting from the ground, smoothing the transition from rock to pristine grass.  A mix of different sizes of basing grit and talus.  Get it all primed a dark grey or dump a bunch in a container with a bit of dark paint and shake it up, then pour it all around the base of your large stones.  Cover it in watered-down white glue to affix it, then wash/drybrush it up to match your other rocks.

Shrubbery is good, too.  I love shrubbery.

• Like 4

I like the grassiness of it all. I would just put in some raised areas of bare light-brown earth. Maybe a small felled tree.

EDIT: Not to be a jerk, but I would not add a lot of rubble/talus. The base is already busy with a lot of grass and other grassy bits. Too busy. You want to break the busyness up so the eye is not distracted by so much little stuff. That's why I mentioned raised, bare areas. Also, whatever you do to the base, do not make it darker. It's already dark.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 2

Wow.. That's a lot of feedback in a short time. It's almost six am here and I can't sleep anyway.. :) 

The darker earth around the Valkyrie should symbolize burnt ground. But it's not dark enough. I sort of want it to seem like the dragon has just used it's fire breath to try and burn her away. I also wanted the dragons side to be vivid green. As to symbolize that it's a part of nature. The Viking lady is the one invading here. Stirring up things best left alone. 

I'll definitely add bush and growths to the dragons base. to integrate it more with the green. The base does feel flat, though. So I'll add more rock. At least one pile. I had not thought about adding another small hill. Trees I don't have, and I don't think I have the skill to sculpt one. So that I cannot do. I think. 

Edit: I also know the 'dirt'/'burnt ground is not in the right angle. That also needs to be fixed. 

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 3

There's not that much empty space on the base, as it appears on the previous picture.

This is with attached wings:

post-13938-0-28288800-1431842251_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Love it.

Now maybe.. just maybe...

If you want some "burnt"ground.  add a few small flames there as if it is still smoldering.

• Like 6

Looks good!

Ideas:

Stones, ruins, broken columns, tree stumps, taller grasses, flowers, treasure horde for dragon...

So many things you could add easily, what does the scene or figures inspire for you when you see them and think about it? What story do you want to tell and where are they?

I agree.

• Like 2

Looks cool.

Add some red/orange to the flames to depict them more as such?

• Like 2

Looks cool.

Add some red/orange to the flames to depict them more as such?

Agreed!

Add more depth and color to those flames. They'll be hotter / lighter colored towards the ground since that's now the fuel source.

• Like 2

They are already orange. The phone just doesn't catch the color. :)

The dragon is also red, not brown. The wings have a purple hue. This is when I miss my SLR..

Edited by Jaws
  • Like 1

Valkyrie's done: Posted in showoff.

Here is a closeup of the flames, so you know I'm not talking out of my behind: 

post-13938-0-32067100-1431977918_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile.. the bird is brooding:

post-13938-0-08647500-1431977958_thumb.jpg

No reason.

• Like 9

Valkyrie's done: Posted in showoff.

Here is a closeup of the flames, so you know I'm not talking out of my behind: 

attachicon.gifWP_20150518_20_26_50_Raw.jpg

Wow, what a great effect!

It's cotton. Ear-pins? I dragged off the ends, dipped it in watered down paint, and pulled off little pieces once it was dry. Glued down, and washed the top with orange wash.

• Like 4