Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

Dirk The Ne'r Do Well - Red Box Games

I have gotten rather hooked on Tre Manor's sculpts.

I was given "Dirk the Ne'r Do Well", and I have been planning

on painting him.  Well, He has been washed, primed, and has 16 coats of

paint on him so far.  The two colors are not the easy ones, but I love how they

clash, I will be tossing some red in there also to make a good rumble.

I wasn't planning on making a WIP, but then I thought, Jay, you're using Orange

and robinh will be delighted.  So...I'll do the WIP.

Here are three photos of Hapless Dirk.

post-12655-0-70832600-1432573039.jpg

post-12655-0-26739000-1432573040.jpg

post-12655-0-81980300-1432573040.jpg

• Like 14

I am glad to see you have taken on the ORANGE mantle and challenge!  Ne'r do wells are the best PC you can be!

Now I just need the color to be a light bit more towards the red than the yellow... you know... ten mile hunter orange is the goal!  If you want I can post a picture of it so you have something to base it on...  (I do have a significant amount of clothing based on this color)

:devil:

• Like 2

ROFL.... So impatient.. eight coats of orange on that mini so far !

I just need to build it up so it is orange to begin with, then do the same with the purple.

Then we'll see how redish we want to make it..LOL.

• Like 3

Looking great!  Just an idea but to help with the separation between the colors you could add a very thin dark line (blue liner).  Will help with the contrast and show off your highlights even more.  

• Like 3

I originally planned for there to be a red line between the purples and the oranges.

I added that and some more details this morning.

I'm making him with grey hair, and beard, and just playing around with the color

scheme.  I do like the pea green too big pants !

So here is dirk looking a bit more...uhhh..Dirkish...LOL

post-12655-0-32622500-1432653625.jpg

post-12655-0-90285500-1432653625.jpg

post-12655-0-48447600-1432653626.jpg

post-12655-0-15265300-1432653627.jpg

• Like 5

I like Michael's (clever crow) advice about the blue liner. He's an epic pro painter and instructor, so whenever he pops into my threads I really try to take what he says seriously and apply it to my own work.  ^_^

• Like 3

I agree, however; the red is there for now...lol.

I'll have to see what blue will look best !

I do like the red though, and I have amped up the orange and purples.

• Like 2

Cool.  The red looks really good and the green pants go well with the composition.  Go with what you want.    

Thank You SOOOO MUCH.. The blue is brilliant (idea wise not color)..LOL

You saw exactly where I wanted to go on this, the blue not only popped the orange and the purple, it amped

the red that was in there, giving me the "fight" I was looking for.

Really Made a difference.

• Like 3

I readjusted my painting from this morning, and did some further development on the jug, gloves,

and put the blue lines in the Clever Crow mentioned...

I REALLY like what it did.

post-12655-0-11706700-1432658281.jpg

post-12655-0-74665700-1432658281.jpg

post-12655-0-28688000-1432658282.jpg

post-12655-0-80845000-1432658282.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that does look a LOT better!

See? He's frickin' brilliant, hence why I really respect his opinion on the colors front.

• Like 3

Wow, that does look a LOT better!

See? He's frickin' brilliant, hence why I really respect his opinion on the colors front.

I agree Ub3r;

The other thing that shocked me is the following photo.

When I did a black and white/grey scale it showed me so much detail and black and

white balance.  That pot on his waist, no doubt where the highlights go, same with the gauntlets.

It has balance, some harmony going on...

Too Kewl !

post-12655-0-54766500-1432663229.jpg

• Like 3