Dontfear

54mm challenge discussion

So Ub3r and I are doing a 54mm+ challenge after I finish what I am painting.  join us...... join us.....

• Like 9

EDIT:

54mm + WIP Group Thread is Open, feel free to add your own WIP pics or links to your WIP threads.

Since this is my first post in this thread, I'll take a moment to address a few questions that came up through the thread and highlight them here.

Q: What's this all about?

A: To challenge ourselves and break out of the mold of only doing 28-32mm sized models. Also, FUN!

Q: Who can do this?

A: Anyone!

Q: Is there a "deadline"?

A: The only deadline is that which you set. For DF and I, we are both going to try to get it ours finished by the end of the year (2015) in order to also enter into the End of the Year Large Figure Contest.

Q: What sizes are acceptable?

A: Anything that is at or above the 54mm size. So Busts, 72mm, and larger if you want to! 

Q: What about "giants"?

A: If that's the only thing you have, go for it, but the real "challenge" is to try a bigger figure that is 54mm scaled rather than a larger figure from the 28mm scale. There are some outlying cases where the figure is pretty close to being perfectly proportioned to the 54mm scale, but isn't "technically" 54mm, go for it, have fun!

Q: When are you/we starting?

A: Whenever you want to really, I know that DF and I aren't starting ours for a couple of months because we are working on other projects and exchanges right now.

Q: Will there be a "Group/Open" WIP thread?

A: Yes, we well set one up in a few weeks, probably mid-June for those of you who really want to get a head-start on it and work together in the same thread. If you get started before that, feel free to do your own WIP thread or save the pics to post in the Group thread when it is started.

Q: Will there be prizes or anything like that?

A: No prize support; this is for fun, a personal challenge, and the admiration of your fellow hobbyists. It does coincide with the 2015 Large Figure Contest which does have prize support, so that may be an added motivation to some, just make sure your figure(s) or piece(s) follow those entry rules.

Q: Should I do a single simple piece, a complex base, a vignette (2-4 figures on complex base), or diorama (5+ figures on complex base)?

A: Do whatever you feel you can do, challenge yourself, and have fun at. 

Q: How should I pick my figure(s)?

A: Go with what is your favorite, if you don't have a single favorite, please feel free to post pics or links to pics (not commerce links) to show us what you are stuck on and we'll all be happy to vote on it and help you narrow down your choice!

This thread is for chatter on this particular subject, lets try to keep the off-topic chatter to a minimum so others don't have to wade through too much of it.

Go forth, pick out your larger minis, and join in the adventure!

So Ub3r and I are doing a 54mm+ challenge after I we finish what I am we are painting.  join us...... join us.....

FTFY!  :;):

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 12

So Ub3r and I are doing a 54mm+ challenge after I we finish what I am we are painting.  join us...... join us.....

So we figure about 2 months from now we'll be doing this 54mm+ challenge. Both of us are actually doing Ares Mythological figures, wasn't planned like that, but that's the way it worked out.

Anyhow, anybody who'll want to join in, feel free!

Added bonus: try to get it done before end of year and you can enter it into one of the large figure contests!

Might finally kick me to do any of my 54mm figures... I have three of them.

• Like 4

So we figure about 2 months from now we'll be doing this 54mm+ challenge. Both of us are actually doing Ares Mythological figures, wasn't planned like that, but that's the way it worked out.

Anyhow, anybody who'll want to join in, feel free!

Added bonus: try to get it done before end of year and you can enter it into one of the large figure contests!

Might finally kick me to do any of my 54mm figures... I have three of them.

Yep! We both figured this to be the case for us. Wanted to try our hands at bigger figures and this gives some accountability to each other to actually do stuff with them instead of collecting dust.

I think we could even open a "Group/Open" thread on it to keep everyone going who is interested in doing them. Anything 54mm+ scale (including busts).

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

Sigh I have my share of picks, need to gather courage to actually tackle them.

Well if you need help narrowing it down, do what we did, show each other what your top 2-3 are and we'll say which would be cooler to see you paint up!  ^_^

Well if you need help narrowing it down, do what we did, show each other what your top 2-3 are and we'll say which would be cooler to see you paint up!  ^_^

Where did you do that?

Why is the GROUP thread not open yet?

Where did you do that?

Why is the GROUP thread not open yet?

We talked on Facebook PM's haha!

I just thought up the Group Thread here a bit ago, so that's why nothing opened yet. Was thinking maybe next month open it up to give people some lead in.

• Like 1

I've only started my on Monique and might get in on that challenge depending on how far along I get.

Even if you only basecoat, it's still good to join. We are doing this to push each other into intimidating factors, usually.

Thanks for moving us over Cash!

Stop licking Cash's brush, you... you... you FB user!  ^_^

Thank you Cash  :blush: 

• Like 2

Anyhow, here's the figure I'm going to be painting up for the 54+ challenge.

He's Draco The Barbarian from Ares Mythological. (stock photo obviously)

draconia_conan__47690.1405421115.1280.12

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 8

If you don't want to spend lots of money, 1:32 and 1:35 military figures (available in plastic, which the cool kids call "resin", nearly everywhere) are essentially 54mm.

• Like 3