Dontfear

54mm challenge discussion

Draco hits the weights room, eh?

Doug, like which kind of figures? I don't think I ever saw those... unless you are talking about some un-detailed truck driver or such. But my knowledge of military models is little.

I will search for stock pics of the ones available and let you know.

• Like 1

HelllooooOOOOooooo Draco! Sexy sexy!

Are the reaper bones giants 54mm? I am currently painting one.

If not I am pretty sure I have some reaper metal in the "but I'm not good enough to paint this" box.

• Like 1

So I have:

Cazador%2B(2).jpg

Argentinian Superheroe "Cazador" resin figure, by local artist, scale known as "Huge" (like, I have no idea how big but 100mm big).

Same artist (Ariel Bernachea), one of his first works, a dwarf's bust:

dain3.jpg

Leogante, by Andrea miniatures (broken sword, intended to sculpt a torch and do OSL on him:

WS-08.jpg

Amelia, by Scale75 (if the wife allows me to paint it):

amelia_scale75_P-290x370.jpg

Operator 79, by Scale75

Operator_scale75_01P-400x520.jpg

What should I do?

Edit: fixed Cazador's image

Edited by Willen
  • Like 7

Doug, like which kind of figures? I don't think I ever saw those... unless you are talking about some un-detailed truck driver or such. But my knowledge of military models is little.

Tamiya, Dragon/DML, Airfix, ESCI, etc. WWII styrene figures/models are probably easiest to find, but I have quite a few 100YW figures in a soft plastic as well.  Infantry model sets (usually four figures) are typically available in the $6-$12US range here.

• Like 2

Nice choices willen!  Amelia is my choice among those.  Or the Andrea fig, I love Andrea minis.

fan38-excelsy.jpgI'll be painting this gal from Ares Mythologic.  I love that she is in practical armor and not in some kind of strange stripper pose. 

• Like 7

Leogante is pretty sexy too. :)

Everyone else is painting resin or metal... I wanna too!

I can take a bones break after my giant. I will got hru the stash when i get home.

Edited by Bathory
  • Like 3

Draco hits the weights room, eh?

Yes, you know my barbarian kick that I'm on...

HelllooooOOOOooooo Draco! Sexy sexy!

Are the reaper bones giants 54mm? I am currently painting one.

If not I am pretty sure I have some reaper metal in the "but I'm not good enough to paint this" box.

Draco is awesome, one of my favorites that I've gotten I splurged a bit and got him even though he was on sale for $30.

We were thinking true 54mm+ scale such as the 54mm + figures like Draco and Monique (that Cash was talking about in the Acquisitions Thread) rather than "giants" and busts are big enough of course.

It's an opportunity to challenge yourself to go bigger and do something you've been afraid of doing. Paint it up to whatever level you are comfortable with.

So I have:

Argentinian Superheroe "Cazador" resin figure, by local artist, scale known as "Huge" (like, I have no idea how big but 100mm big).

Same artist (Ariel Bernachea), one of his first works, a dwarf's bust:

Leogante, by Andrea miniatures (broken sword, intended to sculpt a torch and do OSL on him:

Amelia, by Scale75 (if the wife allows me to paint it):

Operator 79, by Scale75

What should I do?

I like in this order:

1) Amelia, by Scale75

2) "Cazador" resin figure

3) Leogante, by Andrea miniatures

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

We were thinking true 54mm+ scale such as the 54mm + figures like Draco and Monique (that Cash was talking about in the Acquisitions Thread) rather than "giants" and busts are big enough of course.

It's an opportunity to challenge yourself to go bigger and do something you've been afraid of doing. Paint it up to whatever level you are comfortable with.

I was going through bailey03's blog today (http://powellminipainting.blogspot.com/) and he talks about how different scales challenge you differently, I say go out and try to find a true 54mm figure if possible, not just a big monster... bigger eyes, bigger skin to soften, etc. 

The consensus seem to be Amelia but since I bought that one to entice the wife... I might have to break the GS out, finally model that torch for him and fix other dints and breaks on the figure, get it done.

I am so afraid, I truly think I cannot get smooth enough blends for that scale.

• Like 2

Sooo tempting....ok, ok, I'll give it a shot. I have Monique on the way (Christmas gift certificate!), plus I know I have a couple others around. Miniatures seem to multiple when you don't paint for more than a month.  ^_^

• Like 3

I was going through bailey03's blog today (http://powellminipainting.blogspot.com/) and he talks about how different scales challenge you differently, I say go out and try to find a true 54mm figure if possible, not just a big monster... bigger eyes, bigger skin to soften, etc. 

The consensus seem to be Amelia but since I bought that one to entice the wife... I might have to break the GS out, finally model that torch for him and fix other dints and breaks on the figure, get it done.

I am so afraid, I truly think I cannot get smooth enough blends for that scale.

Exactly.

Hey, it's worth a challenge isn't it? Paint it up to tabletop or display, totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I also look at it as a way to break the mold out of the 28-32mm scale and move up to some of the bigger figures to paint up for my own enjoyment rather than gaming with.

Re blends: You can do it!

Sooo tempting....ok, ok, I'll give it a shot. I have Monique on the way (Christmas gift certificate!), plus I know I have a couple others around. Miniatures seem to multiple when you don't paint for more than a month.  ^_^

Yay!

• Like 1

Not sure if I have a 54mm (or larger) scale figure lying around.  I am entering the birthday season (my daughters were born in June, July and August) and we have the FL summer vacation coming up so I wasn't planning on buying more minis for a while (Bones 3 non-withstanding).  I'll have to see what I've got available.

• Like 2

Not sure if I have a 54mm (or larger) scale figure lying around.  I am entering the birthday season (my daughters were born in June, July and August) and we have the FL summer vacation coming up so I wasn't planning on buying more minis for a while (Bones 3 non-withstanding).  I'll have to see what I've got available.

Still plenty of time to get one (if you don't have one) and get it done.

I'm not starting for probably 2 months from now as I have other projects on my desk.

Sounds fun. Need to go through my stock and see if I have any 54mm

Yay! I thought you might have a few with your recent acquisitions.  :;):

Hm don't know if I can make it on time.

But I've got a Master Series Maria Roseblade waiting for some paint.

When should it be ready?

• Like 1

Doh, I just finished a 54 mm figure, not sure I am up for another one so soon  ::P:

• Like 1