510 posts in this topic

Just be aware that sweet rice flour is probably not the same thing as rice flour.  Add water and it gets very gooey.  You can make some terrific mochi-like treats with it though!

Hmm... I'll have to get the mochi-cake recipe from my mom... It's awesome!  Slightly sweet and chewey gooey, great with green tea (or even brown tea for you round eyes...)

Hmm... I'll have to get the mochi-cake recipe from my mom... It's awesome! †Slightly sweet and chewey gooey, great with green tea (or even brown tea for you round eyes...)

You're going to have to watch that stereotyping! Just about all my roundeye friends drink green tea. I've got about 8 different green teas in my kitchen cabinets right now.

Of course I am part of the crunchy-granola-hippie-white-lesbian crowd. So don't you go around carelessly stereotyping! Make sure you're very specific and conscious about your stereotyping!  :p

gonna go make a pot of pu-erh for me & my lesbo friends now.

OK, but remember it doesn't count as green tea if you put sugar or lemon in it...  Actually the best green tea isn't the kind you brew with a bag or loose leaves, but the powdered green tea that you just add water and whisk.  It's bitter, but use it to wash down sweet pastries and the rush is unbelievable.  This is the tea that's used for tea ceremonies.  It's not cheap but worth acquiring a taste for.

I used to know how to make crunchy granola... I wish I would have written the recipes that I learned instead of just measuring intuitively, because I've forgotten how to make so much stuff...

We used rolled oats (not quick oats), almonds, walnuts or pecans, maple syrup, canola oil... and sometimes things like raisins, dried cranberries, rye berries, etc.  Mostly it involved mixing the maple syrup and oil in a BIG bowl, then mixing the other stuff in, and then spreading it out on cookie trays and baking on low heat and stirring frequently...  We used to make HUGE batches of this.  Man, I wish I had written the recipe down...  Homemade granola is so good.

Here's a good side dish to go with rice:

stuffaki Mushrooms sliced into strips (either fresh or dried and reconstituted)

Sesame Oil

Soy sauce

cayenne pepper (optional)

heat a frying pan, add some sesame oil, add the mushrooms and sautee.  During cooking add soy sauce and cayenne pepper to taste preference.  Good to serve with rice or rice gruel.

If you're a real tofu lover then serve the mushrooms with rice and cold tofu.  This is how I usually eat tofu.

Put the block of silken or firm (but not extra firm) tofu on a plate, cut it into large blocks or slices.  Sprinkle any of the following on the tofu: sliced green onions, dried fish flakes (bonito), gomashio (toasted salted sesame seeds), lightly toasted Nori sliced into strips (dried sheets of seaweed).  Sprinkle a little soy sauce on the tofu.

Eat with rice and fried stuffake mushrooms.  Also good along with this any variety of oriental pickles: Takuan, Kim-chee, etc...  A nice light meal.

For more protein serve with teriyaki chicken, broiled fish, or soft/hard boiled eggs.

A good fish marinade/glaze.  Try this with orange roughy or tuna.

1 can orange juice concentrate, thawed.

1-2 tsp. grated ginger

1 minced garlic clove

3 T Honey

1 tsp. soy sauce

fresh ground black pepper

Best if fish is broiled or grilled.

Alright, I was bored last night, and created this:

Chicken Burgers.

3/4ths of a chicken breast per person (one whole one each for the 'Hungry' crowd)

Buns, tomatoes, lettuce, the usual things you put on a bun.

Grill chicken breasts until done, season as you wish.

Let rest 5 minutes, thin slice the breast meat, apply 5-6 slices to a bun, add veggies and condiments, enjoy.

--basically, a burger, but you use chicken breast, much better for you anyways.

--lstormhammer

Variation on that:

Skinless Boneless Chicken breasts, one per person.  Slice into strips while raw.  Or use tenderloins and slice in half lengthwise.  Make long strips for grilling.  Marinate for at least 8 hours in Italian Dressing of your preference (not creamy though).  Alternately you can use a teriyaki sauce as marinade if you want.

Grill the chicken strips.  Serve on hoagie rolls with any or all of the following toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion, alfalfa sprouts, avacado slices, pinapple (good with teriyaki), toasted sesame seeds (good with teriyaki), mozzarella or provolone cheese, brie cheese, grated carrots, etc.

lstorm, tried your Chicken and 40 cloves the other night. Very good. †:D

Now, here's one I created on my own. Now, mind you, measurements are merely guesses on my part since I don't measure anything when I cook. For those who don't eat meat this is good even with the chicken not included, but no where near as spicy. You might want to mix a little of the marinade to the beans to spice it up if you don't use chicken.

Teriyaki Chicken Black Bean Nachos

2 lbs Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts OR Boneless/Skinless Chicken Tenders (uncooked)

1-2 cans Black Beans (I use Progresso or Ranch Style brands)

1 Bag Tortilla Chips (baked has less fat, I use the Thin Restaurant Style White Corn)

1 minced garlic clove

1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more or less as you desire)

2 cups Teriyaki Marinade

1 Large fresh whole tomato

3-6 cups shredded cheese (depending on how you're going to cook it, explained below)

1 tablespoon Cholula red pepper sauce (Tabasco can be used, but gives an odd flavor that Cholula doesn't. Again, more or less as you desire.)

2 tbsp fresh minced onion

dash of paprika

pinch of sugar

Sour Cream (optional)

Green Onion (optional)

(Sometimes I'll also add about 1 tsp of oregano, depending on my mood. As I said, I don't measure but cook by sight and smell, so spiciness is up to you)

In large bowl mix ALL spices, Cholula with the Teriyaki. Dice chicken into 1/2 inch squares and add to marinade mix. Allow to marinade for 15-20 minutes. (DO NOT marinade overnight. I've tried it and it will overpower the chicken).

Meanwhile dice up tomato and green onion. Set aside.

Use a cooking spray to coat a large wok (or really large frying pan if you don't have one) †and heat pan. Add chicken with marinade and allow to simmer over medium-low heat until chicken is thoroughly done. While chicken is simmering, drain and rinse black beans (if using cooking method 1, keep beans seperate).

Cooking method 1 will make more of a cassarole-style dish, while cooking method 2 will be more like nachos.

Cooking Method 1: Preheat oven to 350f. Line bottom of a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with tortilla chips. Sprinkle 1 can of beans over chips and add 1/2 of chicken (sans marinade now) over beans. Cover with cheese. Repeat for second layer. Add about 1/4 cup of marinade over dish too keep from drying out too much. Bake until cheese is melted (about 15-25 minutes). When done, sprinkle diced tomato and green onion over top and serve with sour cream. Will yield 6-8 servings. Also keeps leftovers well.

Cooking Method 2: Place amount of desired chips on plate. Using method like in 1, above, sprinkle on beans, chicken, and cheese for only 1 layer. Place in microwave until cheese is melted. Top with green onion, tomatos, and sour cream. Enjoy!

Originally I began making it as per Method 1, but Method 2 is easier to manipulate for more or less ingredients and the chips don't come out too soggy (from too much marinade - again, I don't measure) or too dry (from too little or none). One thing I noticed was that in the oven the chips do tend to give the dish a dry texture, which is why I go with Method 2 mostly now.

Maybe next time I'll post my full-blooded Polish grandmother's Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. †:D

Sound syummy and simple, 'Nun. I might do that tonight (too much to do after work).

I do have a non-dairy chocolate cake recipe that is my pride and joy (and I'm the fifth generation to recieve it, the first man to, and got one of my dearest female friends with it. Aparantly, she's completly lactose intolerant)

For those of you reading this, and wanting the recipe, you cannot have it. I will make the cake, even ship it with some frosting, but fergit getting the recipe. The next person to get it has to be related to me. Have a 95 year old great grandmother yelling at you sometime, you tend to believe them.

--anywho, nat-cho nat-cho nat-cho maaaaannnn!!!!

--lstormhammer

Dude!  I'm your long lost brother seperated since birth!  How are you doing?  It's been a long time.  Got any cake recipes???

So, Stormhammer...

you said something about catching a puddlejumper to portland? I could save you a lot of money on a taxi from the airport. Maybe I could pick you up. You'd have to give me something in trade of course, like a gauth or maybe just something chocalatey. I do love chocolate...

gee, hmmm, I have a no dairy chocolate cake recipe too.

want to compare notes?

cbs :)

I have a completely vegan chocolate cake recipe, but it's not much of a secret. Got it out of a cookbook. Still, I could share...

Anybody need vegan?

I would like some Veggie recipes. I'm currently working on changing my housemates from complete Carnevores to a little more well rounded in the diet department.

--lstormhammer

OK, here's a few veggie dishes that I can remember...

Herbed Polenta and Veggies grill:

Mix olive oil, minced garlic, and some herbs that you like (I use rosemary and basil) let the herbs and garlic soak in the oil overnight.  Slice Polenta in 1/2" slices(you can buy this at most stores, usually it comes in logs or blocks)  rub polenta liberally with the oil/herb mix.  Also slice veggies that you like and do the same.  Veggies I use are: zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, sweet potatos, yellow squash, etc.  Potatoes may need to cook longer unless they are cooked in advance.  Fry on griddle or stovetop grill (or George Foreman Grill) don't do open flame or it will come to a bad end.  Just get them browned and a bit crispy on the edges.

OK, the following is a dish that people are either going to love or hate.  If your target audience doesn't like Tempeh or Cabbage, don't even think about this dish!

Sautee a minced garlic clove in Canola oil.  Slice a red cabbage very finely (like for saurkraut or cole slaw).  Slice some Tempeh (it's a veggie protein type thing) into french fry like strips.  Heat some oil in a deep frying pan or deep fryer.  You're going to deep fry the tempeh strips until they are crispy/crunchy.  Sautee the cabbage in the oil.  Cook it to a consistancy that you like.  The less you cook it the more of it's color it will retain if you're going for color.  Sprinkle caraway seeds on the cabbage while it's cooking.  Once the tempeh is cooked mix it in with the cabbage.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Again, this dish is not liked by everyone, so be sure your audience likes cabbage.

OK, in my opinion soy dogs suck, at least as hot dog substitutes are concerned.  But they cook up nicely in Baked beans.  Get some vegetarian baked beans, add brown sugar and a bit of stone ground mustard.  Slice soy dogs up in little slices and mix in and cook.  You get lots of protein in this dish between the beans and soydogs and lots of flavor.

Another tip, if you're on a vegetarian diet and concerned about protein, substitute brown rice for white rice.  Brown rice has slightly more protein.  You can always add things to your brown rice when cooking it for more protein and/or flavor.  I've cooked rice with Azuke red beans (for a sweet rice), mushrooms (oyster, regular, stuffake, portabello, enoki) and peas (not all together mind you).  You can always skimp slightly on the water when cooking rice and instead put a dash of white wine in, it brightens up the final product.  Not too much, it should be a subtle difference.

For flavorful Basmati, cook it in a baking dish.  Wash the rice and put it in the baking dish, slice an onion in quarters and lay it on top of the rice, take a couple cloves of garlic and peel them and cut them with a single slice to let flavor out, lay a cinammon stick on the rice, put some whole cardamom cloves on teh rice, and a pinch of saffron.  Once herbs are on top of the rice carefully add water.  Cover the dish and bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes or until rice is done.  Stir once during cooking.  Be careful when removing the cover as steam will be dangerously hot.  Once done remove all the spices and seasonings so that only rice remains.  You end up with Basmati rice that tastes really good, but without having stuff in it.

this stuff sounds fabulous!!! I can't wait to try it!

so many good recipes, so little time....