510 posts in this topic

OK, this is what I did tonight, with a few things in the house, it's a dish with meat, so you tree-huggin', granola crunchin', Green Party votin' hippie freaks can meditate for my tree-burning, meat eatin', Republican soul....

--I kid, of course.

I entitle this: "What the hell is this?"

One chicken breast, diced

1/2 cup onion, diced

2 carrots, diced

1 medium-sized potato, diced

2 celery stalks, diced (do you see a theme here?)

5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

1/4 cup egg noodles

one 14.5 oz can veggie broth

fresh herbage, whatever's handy.

First, set a pot to boil.

Heat a pan, add a little olive oil.

sautee the chicken, veggies, and herbs until everything looks nice and evenly cooked. (chicken should be browned, onion should be translucent, you should start smelling the carrot and celery.)

Add potato and the broth. Add more broth if needed

Add noodles to the now-boiling water (you remember, the one you set to boil when you began this?)

Make a cornstarch slurry (not much)...

..what's that? You don't know how? Alright, grab that old salsa jar and the lid from the back of your cupboard, the one you swore you'd have a use for, but never did. OK, add a rounded tablespoon of cornstarch in there, and add about the same ammount of water (about 1/8th cup, for those of you who still use measurements). Close the lid (VERY IMPORTANT) you must have a tight seal.

Now that you have that tight seal: Shake the bejeezus out of it. Make that stuff look like milk.

Open jar, pour contents into pan with chicken, veggies, and broth. Stir for a few minutes, remove whole concoxion from heat.

Drain your pasta. Hey! Check it out, now that the pan with your meat and veg is cooling, the broth is turning into gravy. Slick! Add the noodles and stir around, make sure there's plenty of everything mixed in.

NOTE: this should, by now, look like the inside of a chicken pot pie. This is a GOOD THING!!!!

Set the whole thing aside, set the table (this is an important step, as you don't want people burning their mouths, now do you?)

Place pan on table (with a pot holder under it) call your animals over, let feasting begin.

A veggie version of this would omit the chicken, add tofu-based chicken analog, and might be just as good.

--lstormhammer.

1 person likes this

Mmmm... like Chicken pot pie noodles...

Reminds me of a soup that the church ladies  made at the church picnic when I was growing up:

Chicken Corn Soup

Chicken parts- boil in water with a bay leaf to make stock, remove meat from bones and cut into bite sized pieces.  Half a chicken and guestimate enough broth to feed 4-6 people.  Remove bay leaf after stock is ready.

3 hard boiled eggs

1/2 bag of Egg Noodles

1 can corn kernels (preferably sweet corn)

celery

carrots

onion

Dice onion, celery, and carrots, sautee in a tsp or two of canola oil.  Once onion is getting translucent add chicken broth and meat.  Add corn.  bring to boil, add egg noodles.  Dice Hard Boiled eggs, add eggs (whites and cooked yolk) to the mix.   Cook until the egg noodles are nice and soft.  Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.  It should be about the same consistancy as chicken noodle soup but a hint creamier because of the egg yolks.  It sounds weird, but trust me, this stuff is good tasting and great for the soul!

double chocolate pudding

1/2 c sugar

3 T baking cocoa powder

pinch salt

2 1/2 T cornstarch

large egg and 2 extra yolks

2 c milk(not skim/fat free milk)

4 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken(the better quality, the better the end product)

2 T butter

1 t instant coffee(espresso powder is best)

1 t vanilla

combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in bowl. †beat together egg & yolks, and add to the sugar mixture to form paste. †scald milk over medium heat, remove from heat, whisking continually, add small quantity of milk to the paste, whisk until smooth, then slowly pour the whisked paste into the rest of the milk, again whisk until smooth. †Over medium heat, cook the concoction, whisking constantly until thickened and starts to boil(large bubbles) usually about 6 minutes. †remove from heat, add chocolate, butter, coffee, and vanilla. †whisk until smooth. †transfer pudding to bowl (large or serving) and allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in fridge after covering with plastic wrap. †

best served with whipped cream.

cbs

LS: Can you use cold coffee fromyour pot? Or would the liquid content throw off the solution? I personally despise powered coffees, as they all taste like the underside of a troll's foot, but if it's required, then I'll use it.

--lstormhammer

use the powder, it makes a difference.  I keep a small jar just for these kinds of recipies.  Hate the stuff in any other incarnation, but for recipies, gotta insist on the powder stuff.

cbs

Alright, I'll pick some up. Any you reccomend for such an occassion?

Mind you, I'll have to pick it up, disguised, under cover of darkness, at a store two towns over. On a new moon, and with someone elses credit card. Then I have to hide it from my snoopy housemates, and so on and so forth....

--this is what happens when I know what coffee should taste like.

--lstormhammer

I have a jar of powdered espresso, found in a clearance bin many many years ago in California before the transcontinental relocation.  Label is long gone, but the language was in spanish if that helps any.

:) cbs

Hey there. Here's another one from the Cucini D'lstormhammer.

Rotisserie Chicken.

One chicken, fryer. About 3-4 lbs, after plucking and prep.

Salt

pepper

hungarian paprika

thyme

6-8 cups veggie broth

One apple slice

one onion slice

one sprig of Rosemary

butcher's twine

--Special equipment: The ability to spit and turn your chicken, aka Rotisserie-- I happen to have a BBQ with a rotisserie moter attached.

OK, this assumes you have a nice, fresh chicken, and it's ready to go.

Get your largest mixing bowl, place in your kitchen sink. Add (I'm not kidding here) 2 CUPS of salt. and the 8 cups of veg broth , stir until salt dissolves. Add your chicken, making sure it's complely submerged. Leave it like this for an hour.

Science time!

OK, the salt is going to leech out the moisture in the chicken, but don't worry. Out will go all the fluid, then do to osmossis (and keeping a balance between the salinity outside the bird, and inside,) the yummy broth will begin seeping its way back into the chicken, bringing all that flavor back in with it. It's like injecting the meat with flavor, without poking unnessassary holes into it. See? Science is cool when you know the secret.

OK, back to your bird. Drain him off, pat him try. In the cavity of him, put the onion slice, the apple slice, and the rosemary. Those are all great aromatics, and will bring a nice flavor to the dinner table.

OK, trus the bird up with the twine. I usually bind the legs together, make a loop around the 'Pope's nose', and bring that snug with the legs. Now the wings: Flip the bird over, bring the wings behind it, and put one loop of twine at it's elbows, tight enough so it's touching. To that again at the next joint down. This should make the wings go down the back. This way, when you put it on the spit, and turn it, the center of balance is more along the center, as opposed to being front-heavy.

OK, slide the skewer in, push the spikes into the bird and make sure it's not going anywheres. A nice, tight grip is required here. Also, make sure the bird's positioned in the center of the spit. These little double-checks will help you later, trust me.

OK, bird on spit, take it out to the heating place. Bring along all those other spices I mentioned earlier, but didn't tell you what to do with. (you'll need more salt, but not much.)

Oh, and once you're done with the brine, toss it down the sink, there's so much salt in there, you can't use if for anything. I tried once. Eeck.

Right, begin your bird to spinning, and them begin adding all those spices. You want a nice, even coat of all the spices, but not too much, it's for two reasons: it looks good when you're done, and it does bring spice to the meat. (not that you'll need it, you did the brining, remember?

OK, a medium-low heat for 90 minutes, checking every 30 to make sure all is well with it. Now: Even though you're only going to open the lid every 30 is no excuse to wander off and go play Volleyball. Bring a book along, or if you have company, bring them out and have a conversation nearby the fire. The weather's finally cooling down in my neighborhood, so spending time outside doesn't sound insane. Bring a timer so you can know when it's time.

Bring a thermometer with you. At the end of 90, the thigh meat should be a toasty 180 degrees or so (I don't know the metric, sorry) and everything should look GBD (Golden, Brown, Delicious). Plate the beast, and bring it inside.

It needs to rest for 10 minutes or so (15 is better, IMHO) but if you're like me, you've got poachers who will nibble at the bird before hand. I have sharp knives, and have told my family I will use them. Use some aluminium tented over the top, it doesn't stop the die-hard poachers, but will deter the casual ones. The die-hards you've hopefully set to doing something else. Even if it's just handing them a beer and telling them to go. (you'd be suprised how well this works)

OK, carve that badboy up however you do. I tend to make 6 or so pieces (leg/thigh combo, wings on their own, and two breast pieces) You could slice up the breastmeat as you wish, but that's only if you have a lot of people who like the breastmeat.

--Enjoy! And don't hesitate to experiment with what spices you use!

--lstormhammer

So there you are, after feasting on chicken/beef/pork and you're wondering to yourself 'What the heck do I do with all these bones?' Well, never fear, lstormhammer's here!

Basic Chicken Stock

7-8lbs of chicken bones, leave any meat on them.

One large onion

Two carrots

Two stalks celery

Rosemary

Thyme

Oregano

First, collect your bones, I have a zip-lock bag in my freezer, just for such things. I make my stock when I have three filled bags.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (again, I don't know the Metric), array your bones in a single layer, and roast them for, oh... 15, 20 minutes. They should look nice and golden brown (and if you had raw bones, this is a good way to cook them).

You can skip this browning stage, but it really does something nice to the broth, so I highly reccomend doing this.

Pull out your biggest pot, prolly called a 'Stock Pot' See? You're going to use it for its intended purpose! Drop all the bones, veggies, and herbs into it, fill with cool tap water (if your tap water comes out brown at first, I highly reccomend using bottled water)

Set this (now heavy, so be careful) pot on your burner, on LOW for about 5 hours. Stirring once in a while. DON'T LET THIS BOIL! Boiling lets the fat molecules mix into the broth, making the broth a: not healthy for you, and b: cloudy and not very appealing. A nice, low simmer is what you want. Just a little steam coming off the top of the liquid.

...5 hours later...

turn off the fire, and take your best 'remove things from hot water' devise (I use my  pasta spoon, the one with all the fingers on it) remove said bones. They have served you well, and may go off to their final resting place: the garbage can

Now: when the liquid calms down (and cools slightly) you'll see all the fat has risen to the surface. While fat=intense flavor, it's not that nessassary for the broth. Spoon it out carefully, and discard. Getting most of it out is great. If you want to get out every little speck, then break out the paper towels, gently let them touch the top of the water, the towels will soak up the last of the fat.

Once that's done, /now/ it's boiling time. A long, slow gentle boil is what you need now, You want to get rid of about 30% of that water. Not that water's bad, but you want the intence flavor, don't you? I thought so....

Note: I have two pots, one is the stock pot, the other for the finishing boil. But one pot will do the trick. I like another for the cooling down process which I'll describe later.

OK: More science. The reason you use bones (besides the flavor they bring) is the cartilege on the bones. After that long, slow boil, they release their glycerine into the water, which is what brings that lip-smackin' goodness to a properly done stock.  

OK, so you've reduced the stock, and it looks great. You've put it in a smaller pot, and let the whole thing cool down to room temp: Stick the smaller pot into the fridge overnight.

In the morning, remove the lid, and take a look inside. Give the pot a little jiggle. Does it move like water, or like chicken Jello? If you did it right, you're in Jello-land.

Take your favorite 1 Cup measuring devise, scoop out two cups worth, and put into a sandwich-sized ziplock bag. Flatten it out slightly, and put into freezer. Alternativly, pour the concoction into ice-cube trays, freeze and put cubes into one big ziplock. (Warning: Label well, I had a friend ruin a perfectly good whiskey sour by putting a beef broth ice-cube into his drink. Don't let this happen to you).

This recipe works well with any kinds of bones you have. Foryou veggie types, use the ends and stems and odds and ends of your veggies, don't just chuck them into the conpost heap, wait until you've extracted the flavor, then let them compost.

Now you're asking yourself "Great, but what the heck will I ever do with 18 cups of chicken broth?" Water replacement. If your rice recipe calls for water, use broth. If you need to make chicken soup, use some of the broth, and it will taste fantastic.

--iron chef lstormhammer

This one is not as simple as my last one. †It's something I like to make in the fall and winter which are soup and stew times anyway. †This is the recipe I follow for New Mexico Posole, though I have used some variations.

3 lbs Pork Loin (or boneless pork chops)

2 cans white hominy (32 oz each)

1 large white onion, diced

16 oz of diced green chiles, (I like mine fresh, which is roasted, peeled and diced by me, but you can get it canned as well)

Spices: †2 tsp oregano

† † † † † †1 1/2 tsp galic powder

† † † † † †1/2 tsp thyme †

† † † † † †2 Tbs salt

† † † † † †1 tsp black pepper

(I like to put the spices together in a small container and shake them up, kinda looks like New Mexico sand)

Boil the pork until tender. †Cool and cut into cubes.

Drain the canned hominy and rinse. †Place in a large stew pot with 2 quarts of water. †Stir in the seasoning and the onions. †Heat for one hour (simmer, don't boil) then add the cubed pork and simmer for another hour before adding the green chiles. †At the end of the third hour the stew is ready. †It tastes even better the second day.

(One variation adds less green chile and adds one cup of tomato juice and one cup of red chile and tomato puree. †And another adds a finely diced almost minced green or red bell pepper at the same time as the diced onion is added.)

Serves about seven people or three people for a couple days. †Best if eaten with tortillas, tortilla chips or corn bread.

Gwangi:

Can you, after you boil and cube the pork, toss it into a skillet with a dab of olive oil to brown it up a little? I like to do that with my stew meat, and it gives it a little something extra.

--lstormhammer

HERBED FILLET with RED WINE REDUCTION

4 (6 oz) beef fillets

salt and freshly ground balck pepper

4 tablesppons grainy mustard

1 cup herbs (such as sage, thyme,rosemary, basil, and parsley) finely chopped

1/2 shallot, finely chopped

1/4 cup white wine

1 tablespoon butter

Season fillets with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy sauce pan over medium high heat. Coat edges of fillet with a thin layer of mustard, approximately tablespoons. Dredge edges of fillet in herbs to coat evenly. Sear fillet, 4-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness of meat.

Remove cooked fillet. Lower heat to medium. Add shallots and saute until translucent. Deglaze pan with white wine. Add 2 tablespoons mustard. Reduce wine to consistancy of a rich sauce. If desired, remove the pan from the heat and wisk butter into sauce. Serve immediately.

And the best part about this "recipe" is it is low cholesterol! So for those watching your colesterol, or have family members doing so, it is a great meal!

Lady Tam

Hey! Anybody have a good minastrone soup recipe? I doubt I spelled that right, but that's o.k. I am not going to worry about it!

lady Tam

Anybody have a good minastrone soup recipe?

yep. let me find it, its around here somewhere

c

Mmm, Weather's cooling down. Time to break out my favorite

Chow-DAH! Say it, frenchy! Chow-DAH!

Shau-Der.

Mmm, clam chowder on a cold day. Sounds like a plan and a half.

--lstormhammer