just got an email from Grimfrost, and thought it it looked pretty neat:

Exploring the Cuisine of the Viking Age

An-Early-Meal-cover.jpg

Of all the books I’ve read about cooking, An Early Meal: A Viking Age Cookbook and Culinary Odysseyremains a favorite of mine. A combination of history book, archaeological study, and treasure trove of interesting recipes, An Early Meal covers the cooking techniques of the Viking Age alongside evidence found in the ancient sagas and stories of the time. The first portion of the book is dedicated to exploring seasonal foods and regional styles, as well as customs and recommendations for replicating the recipes. Culinary history has always been a fascinating topic for me, but this book reaches the top of the list because of its meticulous detail. If you’re a writer and your thing is historical fiction, this would be the book to use.

Much of what has been learned has come from grave offerings. The types of cooking pots and types of bread have shown not only the social class of the person who had been buried, but they’ve also indicated the beloved traditions of this culture. We know what grew naturally in the area, and can help build the cookbook from there.

An Early Meal offers a range of interesting facts about everyday cooking. Salt was not widely available, so curing was common. Vessels were typically made out of pottery, wood, or leather. Beer was flavored with meadowsweet, gale, rose hips, yarrow, or juniper. Sugar was sourced from fruit, honey, and malt. Hops came on the scene around the 14th century. In addition to curing, pickling was also common.

As the hearth was the heart of the home, the cauldron was the central feature. They were usually made of pottery or soapstone, and richer households used iron or copper. Pithouses (or firehouses in Iceland) were built next to longhouses, and were used for baking, smoking, and curing. Some things, like turnips, were cooked directly in the ash.

While the below feast is based on some of the recipes in the book, I took some liberties with them. Years of cooking and watching shows like Chef’s Table (Netflix) got me beyond following recipes to the letter, in favor of a bit of experimentation, depending on what’s seasonally available, and frankly, what simply inspires as I go along. What I made was sirloin tips with a drizzle of the berry sauce found on page 100, with my take on a combination of two other recipes—boar stew and frumenty—and making sautéed kale and leeks with farro, and a loaf of Danish rye berry bread. It didn’t take much for me to convince my Renn-fest-loving husband to play the part, complete with a drinking horn from Grimfrost. 

The first step was to make the berry sauce. This turned out to be the most finicky aspect of the meal, but well worth the effort! Using a sturdy sauce pan that has been in the family for generations, I began by combining the fruit and heating it until it soften, then it was time to add the mead. The rest of the mead wound up in the drinking horn, as it should.

you can find it at the Grimfrost website if anyone is interested...

• Like 5

I actually have that book...  

And many others...  

Today's delikacy is pickled onions. 

I grew a few Shallot onions in the flower pots on my verandah this summer, and to preserve them I decided to be 'fancy'...  

Slice the onions very thinly. 

Mix 1 part vinegar (I used clear 7% 'pickling vinegar) with 2 parts of sugar and 3 parts water, and whatever herbs or spices you want. Bring to a boil.

Clean and heat glass jars, stuff with onion slices, fill with boiling hot liquid mix and close the lid.

Leave to sit for a week or two.  

Tastes GREAT on top of roastbeef... 

• Like 2

Meat Loaf

Mix together (using your hands) roughly equal parts ground beef and Italian sausage. Add in one egg per pound of meat (round down), a fistful of bread crumbs (somebody else's fists please ::P:), and 1/4-1/3 cup of beef broth per pound of meat (round down). Salt, pepper, herbs to taste.

Cook at 350F for one hour. Make sure the juices are boiling and the top is nice and browned.

Consider changing the recipe a bit by adding in some onion chopped fine or by changing the spice levels of the sausage. I tend to use sweet sausage or mild sausage but I've had this with a pound each of hot and mild in a 4 pound meat loaf.

Do not cover the meatloaf with tomato sauce and/or ketchup during cooking, it doesn't need it. It's moist enough without pre-tomatoing and this meatloaf can develop a decently tasty crust on its own. If you want a less substantial (more crumbly) meatloaf consider reducing one egg or increasing the amount of beef broth.

There will be an inch thick (minimum) layer of liquid at the bottom of the pan. Someone dare me to make ramen with it ::P:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Someone dare me to make ramen with it ::P:

I dare you to make ramen with it. ^.^

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

I dare you to make ramen with it. ^.^

@NebulousMissy you have received a quest to make Meatloaf Ramen. GO! 

• Like 4

I have been known to take a food processor to a carrot and an onion to add to meatloaf; for larger batches, you may wish to go with more than one carrot. Garlic is also a functional addition; I hadn't thought of adding sausage, though. I /have/ sausage. Perhaps, an experiment of my own is in order......

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have been known to take a food processor to a carrot and an onion to add to meatloaf; for larger batches, you may wish to go with more than one carrot. Garlic is also a functional addition; I hadn't thought of adding sausage, though. I /have/ sausage. Perhaps, an experiment of my own is in order......

Carrot, onion and celery in the food processor is a great way to get a little more veg into meatloaf and meatballs. As for ketchup, to each his own.  We make ours topped with bacon and ketchup, served with mashed potatoes. 

• Like 2

I don't cook (much). There have been attempts. I have survived them?

But I will share a small LifeHack. Only useful to anyone who likes commercially made pot pies but hates the way they stick to the pie tin you are supposed to cook them in. These:

chili-pot-pie-63809.png

...or other (lesser) brands. 

The hack is to add one step to the hearing heating instructions on the box:

Cut a square piece of parchment paper big enough to fit the pie tin. Lift the frozen pie out of the tin. Put the parchment paper between the tin and the pie, mash back together...

...then bake or

...microwave per box instructions. 

With the parchment paper it is possible to lift the pie out and achieve a result similar to the box art above.

(I hate when the crust sticks to the pie pan.  I only bought parchment paper because I was considering constructing a wet palette for painting. This is a moment when I don't know whether to feel like a genius for employing parchment paper for its on-label use OR an idiot for not having figured this out ages ago.) :mellow: 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

Great tip!  I like their chicken pot pies.  I keep a few in the freezer in case of emergency. Too much sodium to eat them too often. 

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      Last summer Bad Squiddo Games had an eyeblink of a Kickstarter (I think it might have been one week) for a line of Gothic horror minis, called "My Last Sunrise". Annie the Dice Bag Lady specializes in realistic non-objectified female minis from manufacturers worldwide and has a pretty good sense of humor about it.

These are three vampire brides from the assortment. They have a classic Hammer horror look to them. They were introduced in the Kickstarter as "Get married, they said. Best day of your life, they said."

Anyhow, I figured I would paint them up. 

As ever (though I don't think I have mentioned it lately), comments and critiques are most appreciated. I'm always learning and glad to hear other perspectives.

Normally I prime my minis white and wash them with Burnt Umber, a rich, dark brown. But I wanted these to look more chilly so I washed them with a cold grey mixed from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna. It does not enhance the details as much as the darker Umber.

Ultramarine Blue tends to dry with a grainy texture in thin washes.  In passing, I note that this looks like a pretty good crystalline rock texture and would be a fairly fast method for painting statues.

C&C welcome!
    • By Pingo
      Last year PingosHusband, after noodling around Exalted (2nd edition) and World of Darkness rulebooks (Vampire the Masquerade 2nd edition, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Mage the Ascension, etc.), announced that he'd like to run an Exalted game set in the World of Darkness.

We, his friends and loved ones, said “What, are you crazy? Have we not long joked about how unplayable and internally inconsistent the World of Darkness is; how its timeline makes no sense and its rules and worldbuilding are buried and often mutually contradictory; how foolish and suicidally incurious the various groups are regarding each other; and how so many of its many tragic angsty world-destroying problems could be solved if only each isolated group got its head out of its backside and actually talked to one of the others?”

He said, “Hear me out,” and since we have long experience of his keen ability to run entertaining campaigns, we heard him out.

See, PingosHusband has a knack rather like Alan Moore's ability to take unpromising old third rate comic book series and turn them into fascinating multifaceted mythic dynamos, or Neil Gaiman's ability to mine world mythology to create astounding and consistent and multilayered worlds, or James Burke or Kenneth Hite’s ability to take fascinating historical and technological developments and spin them into stories of human interconnectivity or disturbingly deep illuminati conspiracies for game use, respectively.

More than once PingosHusband has taken historical oddments, played “What happens if this is taken seriously and assumed to make sense somehow?” and produced some wonderful story or game setting or world.

(One of them won awards.)

So apparently he did this with Exalted and World of Darkness, getting under the hood, finding the core of what worked and what didn’t, seeing what could be connected to what else and what made sense, what was clearly absurd, what needed tweaking, what could be fun, what couldn’t be possible, why things happened, and who could have done them. He looked keenly at characters, places and situations, saw potential for fun in a campaign, wrote up background, and presented us with an introductory players’ handout.

I’ll get to particulars later. The simple version is that the world looks basically like the World of Darkness, except that all of a sudden a tiny number of people have Exalted with memories of the world of Exalted (“Creation”) and powers derived from it. There are five to begin with (the PCs), although more will come soon enough.

I have to say, this game has so far been tremendous fun. Our group has been playing together for over thirty years and I have rarely seen all of us this excited about a game. Our teenage / adult children are also involved and we have been having vivid family conversations over meals about history, strategy, and characters.

I’ve (of course) been painting up miniatures for the game. I’m having a lot of fun with these too. I’ll put links to Show Off threads when I have them up.

• By GreenBeams
      Just got back my Chaos Marauder sculpt from Shapeways. 

The primer is showing the print lines that were hidden when it was frosted. To be honest though, i can't really see that much wrong with it with my eyes, only when zoomed in.

I've included the original sculpt  for comparison

• By Inarah
      It needs no words. I couldn't pronounce them anyway....

• By Pingo
      This is from the latest Randomness thread (I can’t seem to quote directly into a “Create New Topic” page):

Notes are cribbed from Wikipedia and other places because I am not an expert on this music. I just enjoy it.

I expect to add more songs later. Here’s one of my favorites first.

Ríu Ríu Chíu
      (Spanish, 16th century)

Notes (cribbed from online sources):

This is a Spanish villancico (a type of song popular between the 15th and 18th centuries) attributed to Mateo Flecha the Elder (d. 1553). It is known from a single manuscript presently in Uppsala, published in 1556. The Monkees, of all people, did a cover of it (this is not that version).

The phrase Ríu Ríu Chíu is said to be the cry of an attacking Kingfisher guarding the riverbank from wolves (Sorry, Glitterwolf and Chaoswolf ...).

Lyrics:

Riu, riu, chiu
      la guarda ribera /
      Dios guardó el lobo
      de nuestra cordera /
      Dios guardó el lobo
      de nuestra cordera.

El lobo rabioso
      la quiso morder /
      Mas Dios Poderoso
      la supo defender /
      Quizo la hacer que
      no pudiese pecar /
      Ni aun original
      esta virgen no tuviera.

Riu, riu, chiu...

Este que es nascido
      es El Gran Monarca /
      Cristo Patriarca
      de carne vestido /
      Ha nos redimido
      con se hacer chiquito /
      Aunque era infinito
      finito se hiciera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

Este viene a dar
      a los muertos vida /
      Y viene a reparar
      de todos la caida /
      Es la luz del dia
      aqueste Moçuelo /
      Este es el Cordero
      que San Juan dijera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

Yo vi mil Garzones
      que andavan cantando /
      Por aqui volando
      haciendo mil sones /
      Diciendo a gascones
      Gloria sea en el Cielo /
      Y paz en el suelo
      pues Jesus nasciera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

Pues que ya tenemos
      lo que deseamos /
      Todos juntos vamos
      presentes llevemos /
      Todos le daremos
      nuestra voluntad /
      Pues a se igualar
      con nosotros viniera.

Riu, riu, chiu ...

English translation:

Riu, riu, chiu
      The river bank is protected
      God has kept the wolf
      From our ewe lamb
      God has kept the wolf
      From our ewe lamb

The rabid wolf
      Wanted to bite her
      But Almighty God
      Knew how to defend her
      He willed to make her
      Unable to sin
      Even original sin
      This virgin did not have

Riu, riu, chiu...

The one who is born
      Is the Great Monarch
      Christ the Patriarch
      Clothed in flesh
      He has redeemed us
      By making himself small
      Though he was infinite
      He became finite

Riu, riu, chiu...

He comes to give
      Life to the dead
      He comes to repair
      The fall of all mankind
      This Child
      Is the light of day
      He is the Lamb
      Of whom St. John spoke

Riu, riu, chiu...

I saw a thousand Angels
      Who were singing
      Flying around
      Chanting in a thousand voices
      Saying to the shepherds
      Glory in Heaven
      And peace on earth
      For Jesus is born

Riu, riu, chiu...

Now we have
      What we desire
      Let us go together
      To present him gifts
      Let us all give him
      Our will
      For he came
      As our equal

Riu, riu, chiu...

• Who's Online   30 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)