56 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

No idea. I haven't had her cookies in several years now but there's a distinct something missing...

Maybe cloves? Dunno.

Maybe.  There usually is some clove in pumpkin spice though.  Curious. 

• Like 1

I make mine with a half can of pumpkin (no pie spice! NO! Bad pie spice! Bad!) and half a bag of choc chips, and half a cup of chopped pecans.  They get the same reaction from people who try them.  And it's getting to be about that time of year...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I make mine with a half can of pumpkin (no pie spice! NO! Bad pie spice! Bad!) and half a bag of choc chips, and half a cup of chopped pecans.  They get the same reaction from people who try them.  And it's getting to be about that time of year...

Ooh... that means Andi can't have them, but.. I might try one, if the opportunity presents. ^^;

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I'm writing these down to quantify the recipe. These cookies gave some co-workers religious experiences. I've been offered money to make these cookies for people and I'm still not sure why. They're a weaker version of the cookies my mother makes and she still won't tell me the technical details of her recipe. So instead I recreated her recipe from memory and from what I had lying around; I was not entirely successful. Still, here it is.

Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cup flour (err on less, yes, I said less)

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon (don't be afraid to add more)

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (maybe a dash more 'to be sure')

bit of salt (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tsp)

stir together, set aside

2 sticks (half a pound) butter

3/4 cup brown sugar (err on more, it has flavor)

1/2 cup ordinary sugar (err on less, it's just sweet and that's boring)

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla (or a pour of 'enough')

stir together until well combined

add flour mixture

stir

add

3 cups uncooked oats

half to 3/4 a standard bag of chocolate chips (semisweet)

stir

spoon wads onto cookie sheet

bake 10 or so minutes at 350F

Now, this appears to be the important part. Once they're cool but not too cool put them in a seal-able container and close the lid. Leave them there for a day. They stay soft that way while getting stale enough to stay together as coherent cookies.

Watch people go speechless and stare at cookies like they hold the secrets of the universe.

Interesting.  This is the recipe for oatmeal butterscotch cookies with a change of morsels and the addition of pumpkin pie spice.  If you add 2 minutes to the cooking time, they actually get crisp and a little caramelized at the bottoms, which is my preference.(really not a fan of soft cookies, that's cakes' job).

you can make another interesting variant by substituting  a teaspoon of lemon zest and a teaspoon of lemon extract for the cinnamon.  It perks up the flavor of the cookie and gives it a bit of a Persian flair.   

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      Apparently I never started a WIP thread for this miniature. This is Reaper's 50304: Rowena Von Graaf, sculpted by Julie Guthrie, which I started painting a long time ago. She's a fun steampunk figure.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I decided to paint her with a pretty black face.

Here's a close-up of her face. There are tiny white points which are microscopic unpainted pits in the figure. They are much smaller irl than they show up in the photographs. I am slowly (maddeningly) working to fill them in as I go.

I decided to paint her underskirt pink. This is Quinacridone Magenta lightened with Titanium White.

And the base coat on her dress and spats is straight Red Oxide.

And this is where I left her (cough) about a year and a half ago. More to come!
    • By Pingo
      Who says elves have to be sprightly woodland-lovers? (Oh, and hey, @Beagle, I'm painting elves!).

I spotted this recent Reaper release, sculpted by Werner Klocke, and thought he looked interesting.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I usually start with the skin on character minis. A good mix for Caucasian-type flesh in the pale ranges is straight Burnt Sienna and Titanium White, which is how I started him.

I laid in a wash of dark blackish mixed from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna over his hair and shaded his skin a bit with of Burnt Umber in the skin mix.

Went in and painted his face in some detail.

Later: More!
    • By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 60184: Meyanda, Android Priestess, from the Pathfinder line, sculpted by Bobby Jackson. I painted her up as a Jadeborn for a game of Exalted. The Jadeborn come in three castes, one of which looks like elves made of jade  and the other two look like dwarves made of earth tones. I used this as an excuse to paint up some dwarves, which I hadn't done much of, in the WIP thread, "Jade Green and Seven Dwarfs, here.

She was fun to paint. There is a lot of great detail on her.

• By Pingo
      Hasslefree has some fun sci fi characters, including quite a few space dwarves. This is HG405, Pilot Hayden. I'm not entirely sure, but I think she might be a tribute to Starbuck on the "Battlestar Galactica" remake. She has a cigar and a complex gun. It's the first time I've painted a gun where I'm reasonably happy at how the shiny look turned out.

• By Pingo
      I am almost certain this RAFM miniature, RAF02802, "Desirée Dark, Mercenary," sculpted by Werner Klocke, is meant to be the character Selene from the "Underworld" series. I painted her up, though, as a regular human.

To compare and for the amusement value, here's one of the first figures I painted after coming back to minis after a twenty-year hiatus, a few years ago. It's another version of Selene from "Underworld," this one from Hasslefree (Hasslefree HFA021: Dionne (B)).

I ... think my style has changed, some, the last few years.
  • Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)