510 posts in this topic

That sounds good. getting ready for cold weather here too. Did the first official batch of chili last week. Made a most excellent beef soup last night (and today) Just cut up some scrap raost and added veggies, noodles and a bunch of spices. Pretty tasty. Wish I had written everything down now! That's what got me thinking of minastrone soup.

Lady Tam

Storm Family Big Soup (minestrone)

Heat about 2 T olive oil in your soup pot, add to it a large chopped onion, a few minced garlic cloves, a chopped stalk of celery, some herbs(see note below). †Stir ocasionally, cook until onion is soft, add 1/4 C barley, 2 large carrots, 2 medium potatoes (I prefer red), a turnip, all peeled and diced, and about 8 cups stock (I prefer vegetable or turkey). †On high heat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about half hour. †Add a can of kidney beans and the liquid in the can too. a quarter cup of tomato paste, and 3/4 C small shell macaroni. †On high heat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until shells are tender. †Add about 2 C shredded Kale leaves, and cook until that is tender. †Salt & pepper to taste.

note: †I grow my own herbs, so I waffle on this part, my paper copy says 1 t basil, 1/2 t of rosemary, oregano, and thyme. †I use more of each when I use it fresh, and never actually measure what I use, depends on what is ready for harvesting. †I also have been known to skip the turnip and add zuchini and chopped tomatoes, your veggie choices are a matter of preference and what is in season.

I usually serve with homemade bread, preferably focaccia, and a hearty red wine (Salvatore Merlot) or glass of milk.

cbs

So when do you want me to show up, LS? Sounds de-lish.

Seriously, I have a crock-pot and I love making a slow cooked beef stew.

WARNING: No matter how cool it sounds, don't use London Broil for stew meat. It turns into greay rubber matter. As opposed to the lovely tri-tip that works adaquitly for the job. Made that mistake when I was trying to streach a stew for more people than I was expecting. But I've learned my lesson....

If I get off my rear tonight, I might have propane and I can roast some beef. Mmm, roast beef.

--lstormhammer, Kow Killer

I used to have a small "herb" garden. But there really isn't the "space" in my back yard. When the time comes and I can move out to the country, I plan on having a large herb garden and a food garden. Homegrown peas, green beans, corn etc. I miss the few herbs I did have, but they either thrived too well and were taking over, or didn't do well at all. So now it's all flowers, bushes and there are a few "practical" herb thrown in. I have Marsh-Mallow which is good for would care.  :) Yes, I am a budding "herbalist at heart!

Lady Tam

Barbecue Chicken Breasts, Oh Baby:

or, every other thread ands up mentioning breasts, why not this one?

This is a freakin delicious way to prepare chicken or fresh fish, Murray Cod if you can get it which I SO doubt.

Kay, get yer chicken breasts. Once you're done giggling, put each on a piece of aluminium foil big enough to wrap it completely, with plenty overlap. Don't wrap it yet, dude!

Squeeze aboot half a lemon on each.... piece of chicken, and crush a clove of garlic on as well. Throw all the clove in there, even the bits the mincer didn't pulp, garlic is a gift from GOD and not to be wasted!

Now drizzle a leetle bit of olive oil on each, and add a tiny bit of mixed herbs, whatever blend floats your boat. Wrap them, baby! Wrap them good! Then throw them on a nice fairly hot BBQ, turn twice or so until pleasing brownish shade is achieved and meat has all turned white right through.

Serve straight away, in or out of the foil, and be prepared to seriously blow a taste nerve in the whole multiple subtle flavours of delicious white meat area.

Go on. Try it. It's the only really really good recipe I know.

Good Lord! Didn't think I was ever going to find this topic! We have been lax in our recipe sharing! Anyway, here is a tasty apetizer for those little get togethers. (The ones where you actually want to "entertain" people")

Mushroom Squares

2 cups    Biscuit mix

3/4 cup   Mayonaise

1/2 cup   cold water

1 lb         Fresh mushrooms

1/4 lb      bulk sausage

2 cups     grates cheese

1/4 cup   chopped green onions

Paprika

Mix biscauit mix and water with fork; beat 20 times. Press into a greased 13x9x2 pan. Combine sausage, onion, and mayonaise. wash mushrooms; remove and discard stems. Fill caps with sausage mixture. Place caps in a row on dough; spinkle with cheese and paprika. Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 - 10 minutes longer, or until cheese bubbles. Let stand 15 minute; cut into squares/ Paprika for garnish.

(And if you guys are really nice, I will put up the lasagna recipee sometime. Three inches think when all said and done!)

Lady Tam

I'm glad you did! I probably would have never stumbled across it, and I love cooking and swapping recipes!

Today, because I'm feeling puny and attempting not to, I'll share a recipe from a friend who I wish wasn't half a continent a way, because I could use some of this right now...

ReaperIvy begins channelling Bronxelf

Chicken Soup, ala Bronxelf

Get a big pot.  no, a bigger one than that one.

Take somewhere between 6-10 chicken wings and about 2 tbs(thats tablespoons) of butter and 2 tbs of olive oil and put them in the pot. Add some garlic.  You decide how much. Add the following:  Thyme, cayenne, Rosemary and dill.  Lots of dill.  It tastes good with the carrots.  You decide how much is good.  Add black pepper.  Brown the chicken wings.  When they are brown, take them out of the pot.  

Cut up about 3 big onions into quarters.  Leave the skins on, they add color.  Fling them in the pot.  Add a small bag of baby carrots.  If you want, add some chopped celery. Personally, I think celery is nasty.  You may like it, what do I know. (Ed. note: Ivy likes celery, she adds celery).  Add the very same spices you added to the chicken.  When everything has cooked for a bit, throw the chicken back in the pot.

Add some chicken stock to the pot now.  I dont know how big your pot is, so I cant tell you how much.  Just make sure it covers all the ingredients.  Add water to fill the rest of the pot.  Cover the pot. In about 30 minutes, go and taste the soup and correct the seasoning. Add salt if you need to.  You may or may not, depends on how much salt was in the broth.  Add more garlic.  ####, add more of everything. You know what its supposed to taste like.

After the chicken has fallen off the bone (about an hour) go and get a box of Manschewitz matzo ball mix and follow the directions on the package.  MAKE SURE YOU PUT THEM IN THE BROTH or they are utterly tasteless. When you drop them into the broth make sure the soup is BOILING.  As soon as youre done dropping them in, COVER THE POT, and lower the heat so that the soup is simmering (otherwise it'll boil over).  *DO NOT UNCOVER THAT POT* for 15 minutes, even in the event of a nuclear episode.  Add rice or pasta if you want but I think if you make them separate it tastes like poop.

Uncover it after 15 minutes.  Eat it.  Don't burn yourself.

have fun.  No, no...I said a *bigger* pot.

---------

ReaperIvy

(will be having mom's homemade chicken soup in an hour or so instead)

Well, since we're on the subject of chicken, here's what I made for dinner today:

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken cut up

2 cups water (or however much you need)

2 cups white wine (although I tend to use the whole bottle. Nothing expensive, mind. Just for flavor)

Oregano, Bay Leaf, Salt, Pepper, Poultry Seasoning, Sage, Garlic, to taste.

1 bag frozen brocolli florets (if you get chopped it makes a mess)

See the chicken, all nicely cut up? Rinse it, drain it, and brown it (just don't completely cook it, just enough that it's partially cooked). Toss it in the crock pot.

Add wine. Add some more. It's my mother's recipie and she says to add equal amounts. I don't. Add the whole bottle and top off with water if you want.

Add the spices. It's good, add some more. MMmmm garlic.

Cook on high to get it nicely started then switch to low. Add brocolli about 2 hours before you're going to serve it.

Make some rice. Rice is good with this.

Serve it up. Chicken will be so tender it'll be falling off the bone.

Enjoy.

Want an awesome cheesecake? This is my Great Uncle's recipie. Very very good. VERY good.

Mmmmm cheesecake...

darn it, now I want some.

18 Graham Crackers or 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs (Crumbs are easier)

1/4 Cup Butter (I use either real butter or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)

1/4 Cup Sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Mix above to form crust directly in the pie plate and set in fridge until needed.

1 Pound (16 ounces) Cream Cheese at Room Temperature

2 Eggs

1/2 Cup Sugar

1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Mix into a creamy texture and pour into the chilled crust. Bake at 375 degrees for twenty minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for twenty minutes. Preheat Oven to 450.

1/2 pint (8 ounces) Sour Cream

1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla

2 Tablespoons Sugar

Whip the sour cream then add sugar and vanilla. Pour on top of baked cake. Bake for five minutes at 450 degrees. Let cool at room temperature for one hour, then refridgerate for twelve hours before serving.

today lstormhammer's kitchen produced chocolate chip cookies.

mmmm

and the Little said, "cookie, need cookie."

cbs

Damm Yankee Chili

OK, I made some chili last night and my wife liked it so I'm posting it here:

3 tsp shortening or lard

1/2 med onion, diced

1 1/4 lbs ground sirloin

28 oz light red kidney beans

28 oz tomato sauce

28 oz diced tomatoes

1/4 tsp ground mace

3 TBs Chili Powder (I used Simply Delicious Wahoo! Chili seasoning)

(optional- for spicier chili add Tabasco sauce or ground cayenne or habanero pepper, my friends dad makes a powdered mix from habanero and chili hots that he grows in his garden and I use that)

Sautee onions in shortening/lard.  When translucent put in crockpot along with kidney beans (and the juice from the kidney beans).  Turn crockpot on high heat.  Brown the ground sirloin in a pan, drain (rinse in hot water if you're health conscious) and add to the crockpot.  Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  Turn to low heat and add chili powder and mace.  Cook for at least 6-8 hours.  If adding cayenne or other spices add halfway through cooking.

As an option instead of using ground beef take a round steak and sear it.  Cut it into cubes or at least 8 pieces and add it to the crockpot.  Cook until the meat easily pulls apart into strands.

OK, that's damm yankee chili, why don't some of you Texas Reaper Peeps share some recipes for some real Texas chili!?!?!

Oh yeah, almost forgot... serve with oyster crackers or Fritos corn chips with shredded cheddar and/or diced raw onions on top!  It's even good on spaghetti noodles for those Steak n Shake Chili Mac fans.

Coming soon! Lasagna recipe! I just wanted to move this back where it would remind me to post the recipe. Yum-yum! advance warning here, you need a baking dish at least three inches deep minimum to make this!

Lady Tam

Mom's Italian Lasagna

1 lb Box Lasagna noodles

1 1/2 lb Box Lasagna noodles

15 oz tub Rigotto Cheese

12 oz tub cottage cheese

1 egg

1/2  tspsalt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 lbs hamburger

2 lbs Italian sausage

1 green pepper

1 onion

2 cloves of garlic

Oregano

Italian seasonin

Garlic powder

3 cans tomato paste

1 48 oz jar of ragu Traditional (Or make you won sauce from scrath like I do.)

2 28 oz or 1 48 oz ragu of a different flavor (Like garden Vegatable)

1  12 oz (6 cups) shredded Mozarella cheese

3 bags shredded Parmesan cheese

Romano Cheese,

1 bag sliced provalone cheese

2 bags sliced mozarella cheese

gratted Parmasan cheese (I like to buy the one that has the three cheeses in it romano and Asagio)

MIX: Rigotto w/ cottage cheese add some gratted pamasan, 1 egg, salt and pepper. Set aside.

BROWN: Hamburger, Italian sausage w/ green pepper, onion, garlic, Itallian seasoning, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Season to taste.

MIX Ragu with tomato paste (Or you homemade sauce. If sauce in normally think you can forgo the paste.)

Cook Noddles

Lay down a layer of noodle, then a layer of meat mixture. Sprinkle over top with grated/shredded Romano, shredded Parmesan cheese and shredded Mozarella cheese. Then lay a layer of sauce. Put on another layer of noodle. Then cover with Rigotta cheese cottage cheese mixture. Once again layer Romano, Parmasan, and Mozarella cheeses. Add sauce. Another layer of noodles, rest of meat mixture, Romano, parmasan, and mozarella cheeses, then sauce.

Cook at 350 for 2 hours covered. After 1 1/2 hours take out uncover, add sliced provalone and mozarella cheese and cook uncovered for last half hour. Watch to prevent cheese from burning. Cheese should be bubbling when taken out. You will need a 3" 9x13 inch pan for this!

O.K. I can not be the only person with good food to share with you all. And I just gave you the family recipe for Lasagna! So, let's see what you got!

Lady Tam

We do pizza, often, from scratch.  Fed it to LSH while out there.

Pizza Crust

makes 2 crusts

2 packages yeast

2 C warm water

5 1/2 C flour

1 t salt

2 T sugar

4 T olive oil

1/2 C vegtable oil

-------------------

Use water hot enough to put your finger in, about 90 degree F.  Dissolve yeast in water.  Set aside.

Measure flour into bowl, add salt.  Mix together.  Leave yeast water alone.

Mix together the sugar and the oils.  By know there should be signs that the yeast is awake (odor, bubbling, foamy) so add the sugared oil to the yeast water.

Now mix the liquid with the dry ingredients.  Knead it together until coherant.  (might have to add a tad more flour)  Turn into a well oiled bowl, cover with a towel and leave somewhere warm to rise.  Let rise twice, about 20 minutes each time.

Divide dough in half and press into cornmealed pans.

Top as you like and bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes.

(we use a pizza stone at 400 for 15 minutes)

If you just oil the crust and sprinkle some kosher salt, garlic, herb and/or parmagaen cheese on the dough you have Focaccia.

Otherwise, use any topping you prefer, be creative.

And this dough does make good Calzones as well, just divide into 6-8 portions and flatten out, add filling, fold over, seal edges and bake.

Took the base recipie from "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines" page 482.  We modify it regularly.

cbs