Maybe disappointed is the wrong word. I like him, but felt maybe there could have been more I could have done with the base other than use some scrap milliput  from filling seams. But it is still quite fun.

I love the deep green-blue look going on here.  I get a sense not only of the shark's own color, but that he's in an underwater scene to boot, as if the light is being filtered.

I love the deep green-blue look going on here.  I get a sense not only of the shark's own color, but that he's in an underwater scene to boot, as if the light is being filtered.

Thanks. That was really my goal with this experiment. Limiting my color palette to capture the underwater setting of some of the new Bones II minis.

• Like 1

Very good. I love the green, indeed it seems like an underwater light effect,.

Maybe shallower water, sunlight... very cool.

Surprising one's self is a wonderful achievement. 

Beautiful work, and the base is very suitable to the subject.

Grow into the hobby, if your perfect from the start, you learn little,

and satisfactions are few, and far between !

Agree with the other folks, love the blue-ish greenish tint to him that makes him look like he's walking around underwater. Shadows on him look great too. And I love all the little details you've added to his base. Did you sculpt those sand dollars? They look very nice.

Agree with the other folks, love the blue-ish greenish tint to him that makes him look like he's walking around underwater. Shadows on him look great too. And I love all the little details you've added to his base. Did you sculpt those sand dollars? They look very nice.

Yeah. I was gap-filling some of my larger minis and had some left over milliput, which I tend to use to sculpt base materials. So yes, I sculpted all the stuff on the base.

I think it looks very good indeed you absolutely captured the skin tones

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bluecrowlaura
      Hi there! I've started a diorama project, and I thought it would be good to post my progress here. This is my first diorama attempt- I have just been trying All The Things to see which ones I like best!- and so far, so good, I suppose. I'm one of those folks who learn best by doing, so here goes.

I'll be using Reaper's 03172 Hippocampus and Pegaso's Nymert, along with some Morland Studios Sea Accessories.  I've built the base from scratch using Excalibur casting stone poured into a laser-cut plywood disk, along with lava rock, bark chips, and some hydrostone...so far. I'm going to need to add some Milliput along the edges to finish the angle, and do a bit more work with the Dremel before priming.

I was having a hard time envisoning how the figures would interact, despite sketches, so I decided to go ahead and start attaching the one element I'm certain of: the hippocampus. After cleaning him up a little and using the Dremel to modify his base somewhat, I glued it in. I tried to twist him a little, to give some spiraling motion that would match the nymert, but this is one tough seahorse. I am going to do a little torquing when I pin to the tail, but that's it. The nymert was a little tougher; she'll have to be pinned to a coral tower in the back, so I had to add an extra pin. I did it before cleanup, and I am crossing my fingers that I can get it to look natural in the end.

As I was deciding on the final placement of the nymert figure, I realized that I hadn't thought enough about the most important element of the dio: the story. No matter how I placed her, she looked like she was attacking the hippocampus! Not what I want! So I need to add a third figure, some sort of baddy for the two of them to be fighting. But there's very little room in this design for any additions. Soooo.....

Tentacles. This is a Fimo armature for what I hope will be a few evil-looking tentacles trying to trap the two figures. I sculpted it onto regular armature wire, attached it with CA glue and 2-part epoxy, and carved back into it to whittle it down a bit. I will use green stuff to sculpt the final tentacles, maybe more wire if necessary.

(Also, if you look closely, you can see the hole I drilled into the lava rock 'coral' for the nymert's pin. More of the lava rock drilled out than I wanted- it basically disintegrated- so I'll need something fairly sturdy to fill it when I'm ready for final assembly. Maybe Durham's. Or more 2-part epoxy or JB Weld.)

And that's it! That's how far I've come. Next week I'm going to mount the hippocampus and the nymert, I think, even though painting will get trickier; I can't really finish the tentacles until I do.

Fingers crossed....

• By valkyriesinger
      Hello! I've recently started working on a diorama, and a friend of mine urged me to post here. The only thing that is missing from the pictures below is the kelp that will be behind the kraken (on the little pads on the back side of the base). It is some floppy aquarium kelp that I"m currently trying to figure out how to get it to stand up straight. Tips, tricks, C&C are all welcomed.

Here is the pre-primed coral wall in varying states of sand coverage. The coral is planned to be very brightly colored.

Primed base:

You can see the kelp pads in the pic above.

Base with Kraken for staging verification:

Here is the almost finished diver, who goes in the slot in front of the Kraken. This drab, dirty human looking down at his feet while the kraken looms above is one of my favorite parts, tbh.

Cheers!
      Valk
    • By Pezler the Polychromatic
      Alright, boys and girls! Due to some acquisitions during Christmas, I've come into possession of some older figures. While I could probably slog through all the internets to figure out what they are, I believe it to be far faster to harness your collective smartiness to ID them: Here are the figures in question:

What we have here is a 1979 Ral Partha, one unknown, and one 1984 Grenadier. I have absolute faith that the lot of you will be able to identify them. Feel free to ask questions about them if it'll help you. Time starts....*clicks stopwatch*....Now.
    • By Sushiroll
      Haven’t painted in a few months but here is my 3rd attempt at any mini’s. This is the Yeti from the D&D Icewind Dale collectors series. I started with a grey primer, then white base coat. Washed it with nuln oil then dry brushed a light blue and white over the whole thing. I need to add horn detail still and base detail. Any tips on painting realistic horns would be greatly appreciated as well as any other feedback! Sorry, in advance for poor lighting/picture quality.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 103 Guests (See full list)