HeroQuest Minis

19 posts in this topic

Cool set.

1 person likes this

Great job!

1 person likes this

Very nice.

1 person likes this

Awesome! Your color scheme for the gargoyle is the same as mine! Go Ultima 6!

1 person likes this

Excellent work, I like what you did with the crystal ball on the wizards staff.

Nice.

I still have the gargoyle/balrog thingie from years ago. I really should find another copy of that game...

2 people like this

I actually stumbled across a 95% complete set, along with a couple of the expansions for something like $5 or $10 at a tag sale a few years ago. I grabbed it with a quickness!!

2 people like this

I've given up on finding a copy of this game. I was just wondering a couple of nights ago how tough it would be to make something like this using the RAGE ruleset. I mean obviously miniatures are not an issue, given Bones.

1 person likes this

Well you can find enough bits and pieces to reconstruct it, start by looking at the non-commercial http://english.yeoldeinn.com/links.phpto get a list of components.

The Swords and Wizardry rules are no more complicated in play than HQ was, you'd just need to trim the spell lists down, streamline leveling, and arbitrarily declare every square to be 5, 6 or 10 feet, according to taste.

From my experience hacking ARES wargames rules into dungeon crawling, I would say using RAGE or Warlord would be, actually, super easy.

2 people like this

In theory, my brother will be eBaying this set along with the complete game. If he does, I'll post a link to the auction.

Very nice!  They work well with the Hirst Arts dungeon pieces.  Did you put some sort of little plastic orb on top of the mage's staff?  Seriously, it looks like it's translucent in the photo.  :D  Also, I like that "Eye of Sauron" type of look you've got going on with that weird suspended eye thingy on the top of the Chaos Sorcerer's horned helmet.

Ah, nostalgia!  I thought it amusing that the Bloodthirster became a "Gargoyle" in the Milton Bradley/Games Workshop partnership version.  It made much more sense than assuming that the weird Warhammer mythos regarding Chaos would be common knowledge or acceptable for general audiences.  (In "Advanced" HeroQuest -- something sort of like a more complex sequel to this, but only put out by Games Workshop without the Milton Bradley partnership -- they were not the least abashed about having Chaos Daemons everywhere ... but of course that was something I could only find as an import in my Friendly Local Game Store, whereas the MB HeroQuest and Battle Masters I could actually find at my local Wal-Mart circa the mid-1990s.)

I've still got the pieces, thanks to my attempts to cheapskate myself an army for a local Warhammer Fantasy tournament, where they begrudgingly let me use Battle Masters and HeroQuest minis (with specific exception of the Ogre, who was grossly out of scale) as long as I bought bags of the proper plastic bases to put them on.  Once upon a time, after the games had vanished from the clearance aisles in the stores, you could actually write to Milton Bradley and order parts from the Battle Masters and HeroQuest board games by the sprue.  I ended up getting a lot of extras of the plastic furniture pieces for HQ, and I still use them (with some stand-ins for the cardboard inserts -- which were actually a separate parts order item) for fantasy games to the present.  :)

I really ought to run some more Advanced HeroQuest games.  That game is pretty fast-paced as far as fantasy quasi-RPGs go, and as long as you have someone acting as the GM and taking the time to write up an adventure (rather than just relying on random tables for everything), it's great for a quick pick-up game with simple role-play elements and an easy learning curve at conventions.

2 people like this

@Jordan There is a plastic bead on the staff, yes. I thought it looked more wizardly. Here's a closer view:

IMG_3020.JPG

1 person likes this

In theory, my brother will be eBaying this set along with the complete game. If he does, I'll post a link to the auction.

Posting commerce links is a violation of board rules, however convenient it might be for all involved.

Posting commerce links is a violation of board rules, however convenient it might be for all involved.

Ah ok. Thanks for the 411. Perhaps I can at least let people know once it's out there sans linkyness and they can look for it themselves?

2 people like this