Sign in to follow this  

Doing a quick experiment with using a bleach scrub to 'prime' a polyvinyl plastic figure. Won't know if it really works until after the mini sees a few gaming sessions.

First washed the fig with soapy water then used a toothbrush to scrub some plain bleach (not the concentrated kind) all over the fug, washed off the bleach and dried the mini

Second experiment was starting off with a Drybrushed Folk Art 2558 Cinnamon topcoat over the brownish reddish plastic. Missed a few spots but those won't be seen from when the mini is on the table.

post-12161-0-79043500-1436416508_thumb.jpg

Then a Magic Wash* with Folk Art 504 Van Dyke Brown to cover the whole of the fig.

post-12161-0-22332100-1436416712_thumb.jpg

letting that fully dry now.

*1 part future floor finish, 4 parts water.

• Like 10

I'm curious about the "magic wash" -- You're mixing up Pledge Future Finish with water *and* the paint and then pouring it over the base-coat of cinnamon-brown acrylic paint?  Is this to give it a shine, or to adjust the way it flows, or ... ?

(I'm just not familiar with this technique -- never heard of it before, actually -- so I was curious as to the rationale.  I love the end results, so I am certainly eager to learn.  :)  )

• Like 2

I'm curious about the "magic wash" -- You're mixing up Pledge Future Finish

No, Future Premium Floor Finish, bottle with the atom like logo, not Pledge's reissue.

a4286638-197-FutureFloorWax.jpg

No clue if that Pledge branded stuff is the real McCoy or not, I'd suspect it might be a touch thinner than the old stuff, though others are less paranoid than me. I've made it a point to buy old bottles of Future at garage sales when I find em.

I got a bottle of the wash 1 part future : 4 parts water, I mix that with the paint or ink i want to use for a wash.

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/paintingclinic/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm

It seems to nicely adjust the flow and i love how tough it is. Not sure how well it works on bones yet, mainly due to flexing issues.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 2

I'm curious about the "magic wash" -- You're mixing up Pledge Future Finish

No, Future Premium Floor Finish, bottle with the atom like logo, not Pledge's reissue.

a4286638-197-FutureFloorWax.jpg

No clue if that Pledge branded stuff is the real McCoy or not, I'd suspect it might be a touch thinner than the old stuff, though others are less paranoid than me. I've made it a point to buy old bottles of Future at garage sales when I find em.

I got a bottle of the wash 1 part future : 4 parts water, I mix that with the paint or ink i want to use for a wash.

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/paintingclinic/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm

It seems to nicely adjust the flow and i love how tough it is. Not sure how well it works on bones yet, mainly due to flexing issues.

Looking good. Future is fairly flexible when watered down. I use a similar formula for some of my washes. I have not painted any bones yet, however....

Looking good. Future is fairly flexible when watered down. I use a similar formula for some of my washes. I have not painted any bones yet, however....

The New pledge stuff might be fine, It's just there seems to be multiple types now and I don't have any experience with those.