7 posts in this topic

Was asked by mods to start this Air Brush thread to be pinned and I'll keep it up to date with links/tutorials as we go along. Keep the chatter/off topic to a minimum please. 

Feel free to add links/websites/tutorials/videos/books/articles in this thread and I'll compile them here in the first thread post (just no commerce links per Forum rules).

Here we go!

Forum Threads:
Airbrush Compendium
Airbrush Masks
Airbrush for Hubby
Care & Feeding for Airbrush
My Next & Last Airbrush
Airbrush Assistance
Airbrush & Paint Question
Airbrush Cleaning and Advice
Airbrush Newb Help
Help Setting up First Airbrush
Cheap Airbrush and Cheap Paints
Learning to use Airbrush
To Brush with the Air
Airbrush Equipment & Recommendations
Airbrush & Thinning Reaper Paints

Website Tutorials:
Airbrush Cleaning Tutorial from Massive Voodoo

Video Tutorials:

Awesome Paintjob

Awakened Realms

Kostasii Miniatures

Airbrush Troubleshooting

Books/Magazines:

Painting Miniatures From A to Z: Masterclass Volume 1, By: Angel Giraldez (linked image)

• This book provides pictures of step by step of Airbrush and brush painting. Not as through as some other airbrush books, but still good.
Edited by ub3r_n3rd
15 people like this

Books:

Painting Miniatures From A to Z BY Angel Giraldez. Masterclass Volume 1

• This book provides pictures of step by step of Airbrush and brush painting. Not as through as some other airbrush books, but still good.
Edited by Arc 724
4 people like this

This is a great video on what to check when things aren't working right. The guy is a tshirt artist, but many of the tips still apply to minis or even cars.

1 person likes this

Just a heads up, I just finished using Reaper Grey Liner, thinned 2-1 with a water / Windsor & Newton mix onto the tower from DDS 2. Worked well.

8)

George

2 people like this

Setting up an air compressor and airbrush

https://youtu.be/Rh9MTd9w7mY

Badger Needle Juice

https://youtu.be/b2VfgVH9524

Basic Fading

https://youtu.be/-qU-Fe8K5ps

Vallejo Surface Primer

https://youtu.be/MmUngqRfm48

Review Harder & Steenbeck Infinity airbrush

https://youtu.be/kPx6MUjb8Yw

Tiger Stripe Tutorial

https://youtu.be/H9GEqShSPmc

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rfusca
      So, I've just started recently and after much research, I figured out that I'd need a few 'throw' away brushes for dry brushing, gluing, etc, and then at least one decent brush.  I picked up a cheap variety pack of brushes from walmart for $3 and a winsor newton #1 .  My expectations on the WN were...not met.  It doesn't hold a tip well at all, the moment I touch it to anything, it starts to splay out. In fact, the cheap brushes from Walmart seem to do better. 
      Bad brush possible? Or bad technique? Am I expecting too much?  I've definitely not let paint into or dry in the ferule, I rinse often, and i tend to twirl the edge of the tip to bring it to a point on the pallet.
    • By emmagine
      We are doing a video tutorial series on how we have been painting figures.   The past couple years we have been working out a way for those who are inept (like me) and those who are adept (like Christie) to be able to paint figures fast, and well enough that they look good in person and in a photo.   We have made substantial progress incorporating and modifying techniques we have learned from others (many on these forums,  classes at reaper-con, etc.) Here is out latest video,  step two of our pre-shading process.  Feedback and questions always welcome! 

• By Baldur8762
      Hello all,

After watching many painting tutorials I have noticed that it seems like many more professional artists use somewhat larger sized sable/kolinsky brushes than what I expected.  I am currently using a size 0 and a size 000, but it looks to me like people are using sizes 1 or 2 and they are able to maintain much finer points when painting. I am struggling to maintain a fine point while painting with both brushes and I was wondering if the larger brushes were better for that?  Maybe I am just actually painting wrong?   I am still learning a lot about paint consistency too so can that be a factor? Learning to paint with real hair brushes is much different than learning with synthetic ones. I may be the only one who thinks that, but to me, the brush just behaves differently. Thanks for your input!
    • By knarthex
      So,
      Our own Wizard most Wild mentioned getting this stuff and finding that it worked for him, so I ordered a bottle of it, as I do a little airbrushing from time to time....

I spent 2 hours or so looking at videos on youtube about how this stuff is used, and decided that the Wolf Demon (77307), that I used for the Hangout Airbrush tutorials last year, would be a good test subject for it, as I was not going to jump straight onto Nathvarr...

The first recommendation I followed was to spray the model with Glosscote, to protect the paint underneath.

I then, again following a tutorial, I daubed the stuff on with a semi junk brush, and let it dry,

I then did another coat, and this is what it looked like after it dried...
      (Taken at the end of my paint session last night)

so tonight will see if it works....

ALSO, in one of the tutorials, the artist was coating his W&N SERIES 7 (!) brush with brush soap before painting this stuff on....
      The brush I used was one that I liked to use for painting bases and such, and it is pretty much trash by now, even after rinsing often and an overnight soak in W&N Brush Cleaner & Restorer...
      RIP>>>>
    • By Genghis_Sean
      So I'm gradually gaining some confidence with this hobby, but I'm abusing and ruining my brushes.  I just broke out a 1-Reaper Pro Paint brush that I got at my FLGS and was painting some more Zombicide figures.  I was dipping and painting, and dipping and painting, and basically never rinsing since I was using the same color.  Now, I've lost my point. The brush separates at the end which makes it next to useless.  Was this from my failure to rinse?  How often do you need to, particularly when you're not switching colors?

Also, I thought I read someone talk about brush soap, preservatives, etc.  Would they have this at my FLGS?  Please tell me what I need and some brand names so I can stop going through brushes.  Thanks.
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)