Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I picked up an airbrush kit on sale back in November. It came with two brushes, a compressor, and some other stuff.
Here is a picture:
The brush that I have been using mostly so far is the Badger Patriot 105. I say mostly because I have sprayed paint through it more than once, lol. I started with the bottom fed one (the 350) for one sitting of like 30 minutes, then tried another sitting with the 105 for like 30 minutes.
I have since used the 105 for something like three sittings of 30-60 minutes. My total airbrush experience is something like 2.5 hours plus another 1.5 hours of cleaning and practice assembly.
I have primarily just tried primers. The latest attempt has been applying Vallejo Surface Primer (black) to some of the graveyard set, namely the crypt and the fencing.
Here are those results (minus a rogue golem arm that missed being airbrushed until I cleaned up and was later brushed with the same color in order to prevent having to clean the airbrush for one piece):
I am thinking that I might try and use my Dwarven Forge paints to make this match the Dungeon terrain I have, but am not sure yet...and if I do go that route, would it be better to go with my typical dry rush route or should I be trying to apply colors on top of this with the airbrush? Or is there a different approach that I should be taking?
So my lovely bride got me an airbrush setup for Christmas, and I played with it for the first time last night. Over all, it worked out ok, but left me with some questions that the Airbrushing: The Compendium thread didn't answer:
1. I "prime" my Bones with Brown Liner. When I tested on some Orcs last night, this seemed to work pretty decently. But given the hydrophobic nature of Bones, I didn't thin the Brown liner at all at first, then started adding a bit of water. It definitely seemed to help with the spraying as I thinned it, but I was worried about it beading up. So how do you deal with that on the first layer on Bones minis?
2. how do you guys tack down your smaller Bones minis to prime with an airbrush? I found that that the pressure (around 18-20psi) was blowing the orcs all over the place, which led me to having to prime them individually, which defeated the purpose of being able to do a bunch at once.
3. I got a sample bottle of the Stylenz primer at ReaperCon - I tried it on some CAVs, but it just beaded up. Was that an issue with me and the airbrush, or just an issue with Stylenz and Bones?
As my first airbrush attempt on the Roman centurio was halted by the fact that the figure is so small, I decided to use a different figure, which would be ... bigger.
So in Japan I got me a number of garage kits. One of them was a figure of a nun or mage (I don't know the figure, so I have no idea) and as it was some kind of a miscast or so, I got it for the cheap price of around 6 Euro.
She's big enough to do some airbrush work. And as I want to train airbrushing, I don't want to ruin my first attempt by choosing wrong colours or too difficult painting concepts.
Therefore: YOU CAN CHOOSE THE COLOURS!
NO! I really mean it! Gimme some colours, people.
Oh, yeah - That's the figure:
So today when I started airbrushing, I noticed that after I sprayed a bit the pressure on the tank was dropping, which made it difficult to get an even coverage. I'd start at around 15psi, and it would hold for a couple seconds, then drop steadily until it was down at 5psi. Turning up the pressure did not help, it still dropped psi. I took out the needle and checked and cleaned it and the rest of the ab, then tried just shooting air through, without needle or anything but the nozzle lever. Same result. Seals are airtight at least until I start shooting air through. I have a Paasche TG-3F, bought it with the compressor in a package deal, compressor has a humidity filter on it.
EDIT: Just noticed that while air is going through the airbrush, adjusting the pressure does nothing at all. I can turn it up or down and it stays at 5psi. Unless I reduce the pressure below 5psi, then it goes down. Adjusting the pressure when I release the airbrush changes psi normally.
Finished Cthulhu on Saturday, I think I'm learning to overcome my fear of highlighting too far, I still didn't go as light as people said I should. Some say you can go practically to white, but I am very hesitant to try that. I think I've made progress though. C&C welcome!
Harsh Lighting, to show detail----
And WIP thread if anyone is interested...
Who's Online 38 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Froggy the Great
- Original Timmy
- Grumpy Cave Bear
- Colonel Kane