Sign in to follow this  
Spritz

Found some oldies

I've started painting minis again, since this winter. I used to do some in my twentys but did not take the hobby seriously as i do now. For the last few months i've been furiously looking for my old models without success, until today! They are ral partha pewter models from the 1990's. I did not remember i had the rats , the neanderthal and the rhino, it was quite a surprise when i found them. The paint is chipped but i will remove it & redo'em.

The wizards and the storm giant were done without primer, had no idea i should do that back then. All the models were done without the use of a magnefying glass, wich i do now. It's interesting seeing one's past work from 20 years ago. I wonder if i should repaint my very first ones or keep'em as is?

This is a trip!

post-14038-0-40608500-1437426519_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-28416600-1437426538_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-19447600-1437426555_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-24669700-1437426578_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

20 years is a long gap in between and it probably isn't worth keeping them painted "as is" for the sake of comparison and what not..especially if you're taking painting seriously now and weren't back then; your entire approach/attitude was different. Take a few mug shots and save those as comparison but salvage the miniatures and begin your new 'serious' painting journey in earnest with some figures you already know and love. 

• Like 2

Unless you really want to paint them, I say keep them as is. (I guess I disagree with Adrift :lol:). Most of the time, I have some new hotness I would rather paint than my old guys. So I have left mine painted as is. But if there was ever a day when I really wanted to paint them, I would strip them and paint anew!

• Like 2

Either the photos you have are enough, so afterwards you can strip and paint them, or get new copies. The druids and storm giant can still be purchased on line without any problem, don't know about the other ones.

someone else recently made the comment that you should keep the early stuff as is so down the road you can see how far you have come as a painter.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... So many different opinions on this. I kept wizards and the giant as is for now, the others have been soaking for two days, most of them were unfinished anyways. Even thought i did not do highlights then i really love my storm giant and the red wizard. Pictures are taken and i ever feel compelled to i' ll repaint them. I have enough on my plate for now i can wait. And the bones kickstarter in autumn will add plenty more to do.

Nice job and a similar story to my own.

I stopped painting around 1985 and started again in 2014 after finding some old figures while cleaning up storm damage

Now I have done about 25 reapers

5 old figures I finished, the rest I left as is. I replaced a few oldies on ebay.

They have a charm but they just cant touch todays Reaper designs. I do wish Reaper would use some of the old school poses

Edited by uber-stooge
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this