Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane's OSRIC PbP.

159 posts in this topic

The Elves hold fast to their forest realm, dwarves are holed up in their fortresses of stone, and the Halflings well the Halflings are snug in their boroughs.  From their homes, very few of any of the races dare to venture. There is a feeling in the air, one of strife, it is whispered that the four horsemen are riding fourth to spread their malcontented ways. It is a time of uneasiness and unsure ness. It is time of Adventure.

It is the first day of Gateway in the year 1086 and the first day of the 6 days festival month of Portunes, god of new beginnings, gateways, ports and harbors. Everyone hopes that this year’s beginning will bring about changes, more so than in pervious years. For the past three years Castra Isca has been self-ruling and things have not gone very well. While the Elders, that were elected to the council, have made some good choices, it is the things beyond their control that have sent the town and surrounding country-side in a spiraling decent into chaos.  Some of the more violent tribes of the local barbarians have been raiding more of the smaller villages in the area. Orcs and Goblins and others of their ilk have slunk down from the mountains and threaten to over run many of the towns and villages. Castra Isca is filled to almost bursting with refugees. The elders held a town meeting a few months back and it was decided to send for help from Duke Hessian ruler of Hessianburg. The duke sent his second Legion and the Baroness Victoria Lacroix. The Baroness ’rules’ with help from the council over Castra Isca. In her two months of rule, things have quieted down some, but not completely.

You are all training to be adventures of your chosen professions. You rise early and train hard. You have all trained well enough to called adventures in your own right, but you have yet to take a contract. You all have decided to go to The Sapphire Candle, the town’s only Inn, and have lunch. Castra Isca has a tavern, The Thirsty Dog as well as the Inn; The Sapphire Candle is bigger, also has more lively entertainment and it has the best food. The owner, a Halfling named, Burris Surefoot is a well-known cook and is has a reputation for making even the most inedible thing, edible. His Roast Gorgon Steak is all the rage and farmers come from miles around. It is even said that Surefoot caters to the new Baroness.

Ever table in the place is packed full save one and a solitary figure sits there, Jordel “Jinx†Jenkins. Jinx, it is what everyone calls him, is in training to be a scout at the Adeventurer’s Guild. He sees you and motions his hands to the empty chairs.

As you sit at your table, you see the Oldhef family make their way down the stairs and take a table. The Oldhef family, Jeb, Helen and their three children, Jessica (age 9), Jod (7) and John (5) order food from their waitress, Leigh. You have all heard the story about the Oldhefs, about a week back, they abandoned their farmhouse because ghosts were making them sick and had killed the family’s dogs and cats. The Oldhefs are a very reputable hard-working family. The local clerics haven’t been able to detect and evil or magic and haven’t been able to dispel any possession.

“I heard Jeb say that if the ghosts are still haunting his house in a week's time, he and the family will have to move down to Hessianburg, to find work. It is a shame too, as you know that house has been in Jeb's family for three generations. Well I should get back to training and besides Leigh is hard at work. At the mention of her name Leigh Jinx's girlfriend and waitress at the Sapphire Candle, comes over, "Yes, you had better get back to training if you want to be a scout, so you can earn enough money to pay for my hand." she says with a grin on her face. She turns to you, "May I take your order?" 

After a short wait time, Leigh brings you your order, "Here you go. Enjoy your meal.â€

She leaves you to your meal coming back ever once in a while to see if you need anything.

(You are free to talk amongst yourselves and get to know one another.)

1 person likes this

Gayle Garnett, a young woman recently turned 18, acknowledges Leigh's service with a brief nod, then glances around the table, and offers a brief, "Enjoy your meals." She picks up her spoon to dig into the stew set down before her, using her other hand to fight off strands of her strawberry blonde locks. Trainers must have told here dozens of times her hair might be a bit impractically long for a warrior, but apparently, tending her locks is the one vanity she absolutely refuses to deny herself.

Her preoccupation with beautiful hair is a bit remarkable considering Gayle isn't training to be a mere fighter, but a proper paladin. As such, despite hailing from a minor noble family, she usually forbids herself unnecessary luxuries. For example, it'd never occur to her to shed her heavy armor during lunch hours like these, because "in times like these, a true warrior must be prepared". As much as this sounds like a true holy warrior's statement of principle, to Gayle, it seems to be more of a simple dictate of logic, grounded in a faith promoting knowledge and learning.

In this regard, Gayle just digging in silently suggests her stew is beyond reproach, or at the very least too thick to truly benefit from education. After all, the young woman does like to talk to (or, failing that, simply at) anyone she feels might benefit from and be willing to accept a bit of extra education, which happens to include most humans, demi-humans, and even the occasional more-attentive-than-average dog or mare. (Presumably, Gayle also thinks most people in the inn know how to eat functionally, as in simply moving food from a dish to their mouth. Good thing it's not a banquet at some noble's residence. She might go out of her way to find someone willing to learn which fork to use first.)

Surely Jinx must realize that once Gayle has finished her meal, there's bound to be a lecture on what she thinks is going on at the Odhelf farmhouse?

1 person likes this

Taking a bite of the soup he ordered, Anthyrll Sylverglayde ponders the taste. It was good, simple but tasty. Since leaving his forest home for the training grounds, his diet has changed from a normal elf routine to more of a human's.It's not that there are aren't elven foods here he just wanted to fit in more. Anther spoonful before he says

"So Odhelfs, hmmm I recall hearing something in regards to the Jeb. He seemed to be a good man. I'd be a shame to see him uproot his family due to the problems at his house."

Anther spoonful before he says

"Maaaaybe we should investigate?"

He finishes with a smirk. 

1 person likes this

Gayle glances up from her stew. "Investigate what exactly, pray do tell? Given the information, or lack thereof, so far, it might be good to know on what suspicion one would be acting. Were one to assume, for example, that there is indeed a haunting by an entity so powerful as to be able to mask its presence even from experienced clergy, it would seem foolhardy at best for young, inexperienced adventurers to investigate, and I would absolutely caution against going through with such a plan.

Of course, one might instead propose that the so-called hauntings and pet killings might be more indicative of nocturnal humanoids, creatures that would not emanate magic and go into hiding upon seeing clerical investigators approach. Why, a band of goblinoids might actually go deep enough into hiding for spells intended to verify supernatural presences in the house to miss mundane ones under, say, the barn. If investigating the possible presence of such rascals happens to be what you are proposing, I might be all for it. Particularly if you could get, say, a scout, who'd be much more want to spot the typical traces such beings might leave than clergy intent on driving out ghosts, to come along on this noble quest.

Hmm, I do wonder where one might find such a young scout, willing to venture along on such an undertaking not for the promise of riches or some such, but out of kindness and his heart-felt desire to alleviate the Odhelf's heavy burden?"

Gayle has turned to look at Jinx, smiling.

Edited by Arkady

After finishing his meal Rolf slides a coin next to his dish for Leigh. Human chairs are not very comfortable for his halfling legs, so he tucks them underneath him. Turning an ear towards the others at the table, he glances over at the Oldhelf family. While studying them he pulls a copper out of his pouch and rolls it back and forth across the knuckles of his right hand.

An elegant woman walks into the Inn. Everyone stops and turns toward her. It is Baroness Lacroix, beside her, as always, is the new sheriff, Penn. The Baroness scans the room seeing the Oldhefs she marches over to them. The Oldhef rise and do a half bow, as if unsure if they should or not. The sheriff leans a bit closer to the Baroness and whispers in her ear.

“Jeb Oldhef, your farm will be cleared of these ghosts. I will post a contract at the Adventurer’s Guild this very day. You will not have to leave your farm. I will post a reward of 200 Gold Sovereigns total to the person or persons who clear the ghosts out.â€

She turns to leave the Inn.

Gayle, who had risen to stand at attention, frowns slightly and mutters in a low voice, likely inaudible for most of the many humans in the inn, but clearly understandable for keen demi-human ears close by, "Great. That'll have every hothead in town trample around the place, presumably finding absolutely nothing and destroying any tracks there might be. I could've done that myself, quite without the aid of any scout I'm sure."

The young woman sighs, looking around to gauge the reactions of patrons, then turns to Anthyrll. "I'd still be up for investigating whether these 'ghosts' are something rather more mundane, but the fact remains that would best be done accompanying a skilled tracker. I'm afraid that is not quite my area of expertise."

Brother Duero Olyr wakes from his unintentional nap with a snort. He gives his empty tankard a quick search and then scans for the waitress as he ask "What did I miss? Do we have a job?"

"I for one would rather see us get there before she posts that "help wanted" sign. Why let someone else take the glory & defeat whatever might be causing the problems at the farm. I for one would rather not sit & spend the rest of my natural life at the training grounds."

Just as the Baroness reaches the door, she hesitates, as if she just had a thought. She turns back to the crowd;       “ANY unsanctioned adventuring will be meet with HARSH penalties up to and including imprisonment.†She turns and walks out. With a hard glare at everyone, Penn follows. 

Gayle sighs again, then shrugs. "Well then, first in line at least. Anyone with me?" She walks toward the door, apparently to follow the baroness, setting a brisk pace.

After glancing around at the others, Rolf hops to the floor and follows Gayle.

"Sigh..."  Anthyrll  is about to say something but instead just finishes the meal & gathers up his belongings & follows the others out the door.

As he leaves he mutters to himself

"Good thing, elves live long natural lives....."

Duero makes sure that all the tankards are properly emptied before before leaving his usual generous tip. He tosses his pack over his shoulder, gathered up his robes, and shuffles after the others.

As you exit the Sapphire Candle, you see the Baroness and Sheriff headed down the street,obviously headed to the Adventurer's Guild. Being near lunchtime the streets are mostly deserted. You all notice that up ahead in the street are a couple of overturned carts with crates scattered in the street, which completely block the road. Seeing the blockage,the Baroness and Penn change direction and head down Dowery Lane. Dowery Lane, as you know is where the Thugs of Doome, charge passersby a ‘toll’ to go. As you get closer to the overturned carts you notice five of the men helping clean up slowly make their way down Dowery Lane.

1 person likes this