Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane's OSRIC PbP.

Gayle, upon seeing the five men make their move, sighs once again. "Oh gods, does the sheriff plan on showing off, or is he actually still ignorant of the workings of his city?" She hastens her steps, heading toward Dowery Lane, careful not to break into too obvious a jog while the five men could still notice, but her hand grasping the hilt of her sword.

Un-slinging my bow & grabbing a arrow I will follow Gayle. Keeping my distance of course as not to engage in any melee if it comes down to that..........for now.

Surely the PALADIN doesn't expect the sheriff to turn a blind eye to lawbreakers!

Duero quickens his shuffle trying to keep up with the group.

With a sigh Rolf slides his hand axe from his belt and follows after Gayle.

A few minutes after the men disappear down Dowery Lane, you hear someone shouting and then you hear multiple voices chanting. It is hard to make out, but as you draw closer it sounds like the voices are chanting “Swede, Swede.† They must be trying to egg on “Swede†Johanson. “Swede†is a local thug, who some say had a giant for a mother. He dwarfs everyone and has only been beaten once in a fight and that was by Thulsa Doome, the leader of the Thugs. Swede is not a person one wants to get in a fight with.

Is this Swede person a villain (ie evil, wanted) or just a thug?

You enter Dowery Lane just behind the five men. You can see the Baroness and Sheriff just ahead of the five men. The Baroness and Sheriff are talking, when the Baroness suddenly stops and whirls toward the sheriff and screams " How dare you!"

The five men in front of you hesitate and then move to the side of the street.

"I cannot believe you said that!" She starts to slap him when "Swede" Johanson steps out from a dark alley. Standing just over 7' tall Swede dwarfs everyone. From what you can see around the animal skins he wears, his heavily muscled body has a yellowish tinge to it.

“Swede†is a local thug, who some say had a giant for a mother. It is rumored that he has only been beaten once in a fight and that was by Thulsa Doome, the leader of the Thugs. Swede is not a person one wants to get in a fight with. Swede carries a massive club. Swede's orangish teeth flash as he grins ear to ear. Swede's chuckle stops the Baroness' swing. She and the Sheriff turn toward Swede.

"Little woman slap little man." He chuckles again.

The men surrounding the street all start to chant, "Swede, Swede, Swede,Swede..."

Swede takes a deep breath and exhales, the smell of rotten fish and onions saturates the street, "Swede must fight little man. When I beat you, you leave us alone." With that he raises his club and advances slowly toward the Sheriff.

Gayle hesitates. Technically, one could interpret Swede's words as a challenge to a duel, and it is up to the Sheriff whether he wishes to accept. Interfering unbidden would be dishonorable, and in the case of a young, not-technically-even-adventuring-yet warrior, quite possibly suicidal. Well, unless the situation absolutely dictates it. Was the Sheriff even armed? If not, that would be due cause to do something. But what? She has just one sword, and there's more potential troublemakers.

Her gaze falls on the other five thugs. They would not feel bound by considerations of honor, and countering any attempts at interference on their part would most definitely be called for.

Gayle observes whether or not the sheriff is prepared to fight, if he does seem to plan on dueling Swede, and if the other thugs make any move.

Duero pretends to be only mildly interested in the events unfolding. He uses the paladin's large frame to loosen his weapon from his belt.

... just in case it's an unfair fight.

After glancing back and forth between Gayle and Duero, Rolph shrugs, and slides the axe into a more comfortable grip. Just in case.

I will be on guard in case there is trouble. I really don't want to shoot anyone that I shouldn't.

Penn draws his longsword. “ANHUR!†Penn charges Swede, club and sword meet. It quickly becomes apparent to all that are watching the dance, that while Penn is outmatched in strength,  he more than makes up for it in quickness. Penn is holding his own against the brute Swede.

While Swede and Penn dance, you notice out of the corner of your eye, that a few thugs are drawing weapons and one even pulls out what appears to be a sack and another, a coil of rope, all headed toward the Baroness. The Baroness appears to not notice the men surrounding her. One of the men reaches out and taps another and then motions toward you. Four men start moving toward you. The ‘leader’ puts on a friendly smile, as he moves toward you.

Seeing that the sheriff didn't need, and quite possibly wouldn't need her interference on his behalf, Gayle figured that what she should focus on was the matter of thugs swarming the baroness. The young woman supposed she could try honorably calling out something along the lines of, 'Halt, ye scoundrels, in the name of the law!' That, of course, would be as technically incorrect - she held no legal authority in the city, after all - as it would be fruitless, considering the towering-over-the-sheriff-in-the-shape-of-Swede evidence for these thugs not inclined to listen to reason right now.

As far as Gayle was concerned, her priority needed to be trying to keep the baroness safe. Certainly that wouldn't be possible without harming some thugs, but maybe she could minimize the overall damage through decisive action that might confound and intimidate some of these lawbreakers.

"Drop your weapons now and you shan't be harmed", Gayle intoned, calmly, evenly, with a determined expression on her face, while fully drawing her sword. Her plan was to go directly for the smiling 'leader', unless he complied of course, in an attempt to take him out so quickly and decisively it might actually give the other thugs pause. After all, even if they didn't actually yield, it might create an opening for her or her allies to slip by these five and confront the thugs surrounding the baroness.

Drawing my bow at full pull I aim a arrow at one of the grunts near the leader.