Jump to content
Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane's OSRIC PbP.

Recommended Posts

You make it back to the Sapphire Candle without incident, Willip 'Bucky' Buckberry, the cousin to Burris Surefoot, the owner, meets you at the door, “ Oh, My. Follow me.†He escorts you to one of the private dinning rooms. He hurries out and soon brings in steaming mugs and hands one to each of you.

The Baroness, turns to Bucky, “Please, go get Jeb.†Bucky Hurries out.

Bucky comes in with Jeb and two others, both of which you recognize, Desmond and Neo Nucastle, both local youths who like you have been training to be adventurers. Desmond is training as a Knight and Neo as a Cleric. The Baroness eyes the two youths.

“Master Jeb, please tell these three where your farm is. They have taken the contract and wish to get started. “

“Well, your ladyship, it is aboput six hours travel to the east. If they wish to get there before nightfall they had better get to headed that way. These two younguns,†He motions toward the Nucastle boys, “they have been asking my questions about the farm as well and have indicated that they would like to help out.â€

The Baroness turns to toward you, “Would you mind, two others joining you three?â€

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolf looks around at the others, "No trouble to me if these two wish to join. What say yee?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle ponders for a moment, then nods. "I don't see why not. Should the trouble be supernatural after all, having a young cleric stand by our side might be just what it takes to deal with it. Well, there is one condition. Do you guys accept that once we get to the farm, it'll be the best tracker that calls the shots?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Barnoss turns back to Jeb, Would you please give direction to the party? I fear I must run and take care of matters. Please excuse me.â€. With that she turns and and leaves.

 

Jeb turns toward you, “Leave Castra Isca by the east gate and head due east. It is about 5, 6 hours travel. It is the only farm for miles. North side of the rode. House, barn, smokehouse, and a outhouse. It has the biggest pile of firewood by the rode. I hope that helps.†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I have no problem with either child wanting to join the group. We may need the manpower."

 

Looking at Gayle he adds. "I have no problem with that either."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle waits for someone, anyone, to voice an opinion, offer insights or ideas, anything. When nothing much else seems to be forthcoming, she shrugs and voices her own thoughts.

 

"Well, considering I doubt we all have mounts to call on, five to six hours travel would see us arrive not much, if any, before nightfall, were we to leave right now. But I do want to search the area of the farm for tracks, or rather I'd prefer to leave that task to anyone who might be more proficient at it, which in my case at least is much better done in daylight.

 

Considering that I do seem slightly worse for wear thanks to an unplanned scuffle, anyways, I propose staying in the comfort of this here inn overnight, and leaving tomorrow at the break of dawn. That should give us several hours' worth of tracking at the farm in daylight, maybe finding a clue or three before nightfall. As a side benefit, anyone who feels a need might stock up on supplies this afternoon, and I personally might look a little lesss battered come morning."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"That makes sense. Get a fresh start in the morning."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you make your decision to stay the night, Bucky enters carrying a tray of meat, cheese and bread. Hearing your decision, Bucky says, “ I will have rooms arranged for you. I would suggest you go and purchase any thing might need you need for this adventure. In light of your recent run-in if you would rather stay here and make me a list of needed equipment, I will get it and you can pay me, but that is up to you.†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I have all that I need."

 

"I suggest we turn in early & get a jump on the journey tomorrow."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle sighs. "Personally, I'd like to see about getting some salves and ointments, but my purse begs to differ. So unless any of you need ought from me, I think I'm going to turn in early. Sleep off what's gotten me rattled and try to beat the roosters come morning."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucky wakes the five of you in the predawn and leads you down to one of the private dinning rooms for breakfast. “Please eat what you want and when your ready to to leave, just leave everything.â€

There are scrammbled eggs, slices of ham, and fresh milk in a jug. You notice that all of your cuts and bruises have healed, (you all are at full hit points.). The NuCastle twins are local boys so you know some about them. Their father helped defend the town against a barbarian attack three years ago and when the Baroness moved to town, she elevated the family to nobles. Six months ago the father died. As the older of the twins Desmond became head of the household. Both are kind and curtious, they have never lorded their noblity over anyone. Both are strapping boys, Desmond has been training as a knight and Neo has been training to join the ranks of the clergy of Sporin, the goddess of healing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle offers a silent prayer over the food, then looks up, her gaze apparently incidentally falling in Desmond's direction, and proclaims with a smile, "Enjoy breakfast like a king, everyone. If my suspicions about the Oldhef farm prove correct, we're going to need all our strength. If you're concerned about being indulgent, just remember there'll be plenty opportunity to dine like paupers while we're on the road."

 

As she herself proceeds to take her own advice, Gayle is rather silent, appearing preoccupied with her own thoughts. The occasional glance in the young knight's direction remains the only outward hint at what her mind is racing with. Was it merely the baroness or possibly even higher powers that seemed to have conspired to offer her a chance at perhaps getting to know Desmond better? Either way, she'd have to get a grip on herself. It wouldn't do for her jeopardize the mission due to some girlish infatuation, no matter how perfect a potential mate Desmond was for a young woman from a minor noble family...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After breakfast, everyone is geared up and ready to go, you walk the short distance to the east gate and follow the east road. You finally arrive at the farm. It is the only abandoned farm on the north side of the road. It is a fairly typical farm, with a farm house, barn, well, outhouse, smokehouse, and there is a wood pile near the road. There are no animals present that you can see or hear. The only sound is the light wind through the grass. 

 

Tell where you want to start your investigation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gayle surveys the farm from the road, nodding slightly. "Alright. My suspicion is there's a rather more mundane explanation for dead cats and dogs than ghosts, considering ghosts are supposed to be spectral creatures that aren't particularly good at physically affecting the physical world. I would be rather more inclined to suspect some kind humanoids. Killing pets would seem right up their alley, given a mutt or tomcat might otherwise betray their presence."

 

She sighs. "That's why I rather hope one or more of you are actually good at tracking, because if I am correct, odds are the not-so-ghostly haunters left tracks, or rather, tired to cover tracks, that might betray where they came from and where they might still be hiding. After all, I'm pretty sure they'd have been all over the place, looting whatever they find useful. I shall try to search for tracks myself, mind, but the practical application of that particular art is not exactly my forte."

 

She takes another look around. "If it is any kind of subterranean humanoid, which certainly would facilitate non-detection, I suppose the critters might have come through the cellar. Still, odds are that in that case, cats and dogs would've alerted the family quickly enough for them to realize there's no ghostly haunting going on. I would think it is more likely they broke through somewhere else, maybe the barn. Or, quite possibly, the well. Tossing a few choice herbs into the well would be an excellent way of making the family sick, after all. So unless any of you have other suggestions, I'd propose we start by investigating the water supply."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×