Colonel Kane

Colonel Kane's OSRIC PbP.

The last of the rats and the creatures fall, the battle is quick and mostly painless. Desmond is the only one who wounds and they are only some superficial bites on his legs. Upon closer inspection of the small armored humans, show they have rags of grey and brown that match their warty and lumpy skin. Their small dart like weapons would be useless to any creatures bigger than they were. You hear a cat yowling at the door.

{Everyone add in 132 XP}

When Rolf opens the door the large house cat which is now very wet, slinks inside looks up at Rolf, then makes its way over to the fireplace, It sits down and starts to groom itself. If approached it will stop grooming and hiss when anyone gets within sword reach of it. If it is pressed further it will take off up the stairs and hide under a bed.  

"Well, I guess the house is officially considered pest-free, unless you have issues with felines", Gayle said, watching the cat. "Though this does beg the question, weren't the family's cats and dogs supposedly killed? Is this a lone straggler, then? Or something else? I'd imagine we shall have to check the barn to see if it offers any answers in that regard."

While the others decide the next course Rolf will try to calm and comfort the feline inhabitant. "We should probably give the house a good once over too, ayuh? Just in case. Don't want to overlook anything potentially helpful."

• Like 1

Rolf attempts to calm and comfort the cat, but the cat will not let you get with arms reach, hissing and slapping you with it's paws, though it does not use it's claws. It looks at you as if to say' “Leave me alone and I will leave you alone.

The house contains everything a farm house would need to survive. Kitchen utensils, beds and the chest at the foot of the beds have blankets, the dress is half-filled with clothes. There is nothing really of “value†to anyone other than a farmer.

“Well it seems that the house has been “exorcised.†Nero giggles, “I suggest we have a meal and bed down for the night and wait till morning to head back to town. I can not wait....†He cocks his head to the side a bit and stares off into space, his eyes roll back into his head, a voice that is deeper and more commanding than anything you have heard from Nero says, “The fish will die.â€, Nero shakes his head a bit,â€to get back to the comfort of the Sapphire Candle. It is such a wonderful place, Don't you think?â€

"The fish will die" As in he is possessed voice or just him saying something oddly?

If it's the first, I'm intrigued & alert for anything out of the ordinary in this house. 

Also I don't trust the cat.

& finally was there a trap door in the floor? I thought I spotted one earlier but was interrupted by the rats.

• Like 1

"The fish will die" As in he is possessed voice or just him saying something oddly?

If it's the first, I'm intrigued & alert for anything out of the ordinary in this house. 

Also I don't trust the cat.

& finally was there a trap door in the floor? I thought I spotted one earlier but was interrupted by the rats.

{Yes as in a a possessed voice, The 'trap door' you spotted was actually where the floor was weakened  as a trap (which Desmond fell into). As for the cat, well too bad. Due to Rolf's attempts to befriend it, it might stick around for a while, then again you may bore the heck out of it and it will leave.}

• Like 1

"You find some good stuff that you're not sharing there Nero?" Sniffing the air for any hint of alcohol and finding non, Duero busies himself with making the most of the food supplies to concoct a hot meal for the party.

[All of the food in the house is rotten. The only thing that might be edible, beside the trail rations you have with you, are the rats and while the cat will happily eat one or two of the rats I doubt that any of you would want to.]

The cat remains aloof, it will eat as long as you lay the food down and move back. if you move towards it, it will back away hissing. 

Nero gathers all the rotten food onto the table, then starts to mumble under his breathe, then he randomly waves his hands over the food and all the food is now not rotten. There is enough for each of you to have two meals, tonight and in the morning. 

Nero looks up and smiles at each of you, "Sorry I could not do more." 

Desmond comes into the house and sits down at the table. He starts eating, “Neo, thank you for this wonderful meal. Why don't you finish eating and head upstairs and pick a bed and I will wake you in the morning.

“I am feeling very tired all of a sudden.†He finishes off his plate, puts it in the sink and heads upstairs. A few minutes after a soft snore can be heard from upstairs.

“Please forgive my brother. I heard what he said as I came up to the door. Many years ago when we were kids we were playing in a tree in father's grove, Neo fell out of one of those trees. When I got to him he said 'the grove will burn.' When we got home I told father everything. Father questioned Neo and Neo said he had never said anything. Well two days later the grove burned. Father figured it was me who set the fire, just to prove myself right. I could not sit for a week. Three weeks after the grove burned Neo made another prediction. Said a neighbor's wife would die in childbirth and the baby would not live long after her. Two days later it happened. He hears voices in his head and after he hears them is when he makes a prediction. Those predictions always come true. He has never done so in the presence of anyone other than me and always what he predicts come 2 to 3 days after he predicts them. Please Do not tell our secret. I am afraid the church would see it as Neo is possessed and would try to rid him of his demons. I suggest we all head to bed and get uop in the morning and head back to town so we can bring the news to Jeb that he and his family can move back in.

Rolf will take the first watch. "Nothing against you fine folks, or the cat, " nodding to the cat, "but I find that luck favors those prepared."

Desmond says" I will take the second watch." with that he draws his long sword and sits down near the foot of the stairs and leans against the wall. 

The cat stretches and then curls up near the fire and seems to fall asleep. 

Gayle, who had returned from a brief visit to the barn along with Desmond, also sat at the table and happily partook of a rather better meal than she'd have expected given the circumstances. She slightly quirked a brow at how quickly Neo seemed to fall asleep, but then shrugged it off. This first not-that-great-but-still adventure might have been a bit much for a young cleric.

At Desmond's explanation about his brother, Gayle frowned slightly, then muttered, "I am not certain that is a secret to keep. It might be wiser to consult senior priests and mages who might be learned in the why and wherefores of oracular abilities. Myself, I wonder if this prediction was metaphorical and if so, what it actually means. After all, anonymous fish die every day..."

When the men started assigning watch shifts, Gayle glanced in the direction of the cat. A cat that seemed to feel right at home, even though the family's pets had supposedly been killed. She still didn't quite like than. "I'll take third watch then. Feel free to wake me a bit early, Sir Desmond. Watch passes faster if you have someone to talk", Gayle offered, with a hint of a girlish grin on her usually earnest face. 

Desmond wakes Gayle at the end of the second shift and stays awake to chat. The sun rises up and Desmond wakes Neo. Breakfast is left overs from the meal the night before. The cat has disappeared during the night. No one remembers seeing the cat leave. The walk back to town in the brisk air is almost enjoyable. Neo chatters the entire way home, mostly about nothing in particular. Sometimes he ventures off the road to inspect something that has his interest.

In one of these forays, Desmond tells you, “This is typical behavior for Neo after a prediction. He is almost child like and the strangest things catch his attention. Do not worry about him getting lost, even as a children when we played hide and seek he would find me right off, course if I am close enough I can find him. Benefit of being a twin I guess.†