Flamehawke

PF AP: Mummy's Mask

284 posts in this topic

"It speaks of being well defended. I would expect traps, so be on the look out for things that seem out of place." As he spoke, he put his words into practice, carefully studying for traps (16 perception)

Once Aakesh confirms there are not traps, Nikolis will size up the circular wheel-stone.

"Too'Rahk, Zak'Kell, Thorgrim...can you give me a hand trying to move this out of the way?"

17 + 4 STR check.  (+2 if able to use crowbar, but not sure we can on this thing).

No Traps yet.

Crowbar will not work on this...

1 person likes this

"Aye, just let me check and make sure this thing isn't wedged."

Thorgrim checks the tracks that the door runs in, making sure there is not debris or blocks to impede it's rolling. Then he requests Torag's aid in the endeavor (cast Guidance on all members attempting the task) and puts his shoulder to the task.

12+3 STR check

12 + 4 + Guidance(+1)  = 17 total

Aiding in turning the stone wheel & such.

Zak will help push the door. (D20 roll 16+ 3= 19...... That is correct is it not?)

Using Nikolis as the base to use and adding in guidance on his roll you just barely roll the stone to one side. There is almost no light in here. What little there is from the entry and this is set back far enough that only darvision or low-light will have any ease of seeing in this room.

This square room i s starkly devoid of any markings or adornment. In the center of the chamber's floor, a square shaft drops straight down into darkness. A faint musty odor rises from the pit. A single piton has been hammered into the stone floor by the northeast corner of the pit, and a dusty length of rope dangles from the piton into the darkness of the shaft.

Those with darkvision can see easily the rope only extends down 5 feet where it was apparently cut. The shaft is of superior masonry and will not be easy to climb...

map

"let me have a look" Aakesh said, stepping forward into the darkness, pausing only a moment as his eyes shifted beyond the 'visible light' spectrum and the details of the room became clear "There's a rope here, going down, looks like it was cut off. I wonder if that was to stop someone from escaping, or to prevent pursuit from below. Either way I suspect our would be grave robber had a bad time of things down below. Anyway, I think it's safe enough, but again, I would like to check for traps before we do anything."

(d10+6 =17 on my 'spot them before they kill me' trap search)

2 people like this

"Aakesh, can you see how deep it goes?" Says Nikolis. He pulls out a Sunrod and lights it. He then begins knotting his rope for climbing.

He will offer up a suggestion...

"Friends, I'm a decent climber, but trying to free climb down this would be near suicide. With this knotted rope secured to the piton, and bracing against the wall, all of us should be able to climb down easily."

OOC knotting a 50 foot rope decreases it to 40 feet. Hopefully that is long enough. If anyone wants to volunteer to go first, please feel free. Otherwise Nikolis will wait for Aakesh to rule out traps, put the Sunrod into his belt and start climbing down, taking 10.

Aakesh can just see the floor. Its at the very end of his darkvision

(So it is 60 feet)

"Hmm, Aakesh, that is quite a drop. Anyone else bring rope?"

Nikolis will wait for another rope so we can get back up.

"Yes, I have a long length of rope  as well as a grappling hook, and some anchors myself. I was thinking we might have to climb up to a roof, not descend down a hole such as this. Still it all amounts to the same."

"That's a long way down! Ummm, how long ago was the rope cut? I don't want to be left down this hole, can we close the rolley door?"

Is there an alternate place to tie off to that can't be cut? Would leaving someone behind be a good idea?

"I could let you all down and follow after with the rope." He says after a moment of thought, "though it would leave me unable to float down later if we find any more pits...as for how long ago this rope was cut...probably decades, perhaps longer than any of us have been alive....I wish I knew the fate of the grave robber, it would make decision making so much easier."