ladystorm

Bones You'd Like to See, thread #3

935 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2017 at 10:53 PM, Thes Hunter said:

Figures representing some of the heros from the 3 Kingdoms period. 

Maybe Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Xu Zhu, Yue Ying and Pang Tong.

That would be fantastic. There's literally hundreds of them to call from. I would love all the five tigers, plus all of the big bad mothers from the different factions. Taishi Ci, zhao yun, sun ce, Guan Yu, etc..

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Female orcs

Female hobgoblins

Female bugbears

Female ettin

Female cyclops

More female giants (the "new scale" fire giant gender ratio is 5 to 1 right now... )

Edited by Arikiel
5 people like this

Skulls-on sprues.

human, humanoid, animal and monster.

More than in the add on.

4 people like this

This idea from ewokskinner about clear mephits which can be customized. I think this is really the way forward for translucent bonesium whenever possible.

Okay, so this is an idea I've been agitating for since the last KS.  I love using mephits, but it can be hard finding cool minis for the different types.  BUt with transparent Bonesium, you could make some really cool and extremely versatile mephit minis.

To start, make 2 or three sculpts of three different 'styles.'  The first style will be all flowing and drippy, like a liquid-based creature.  The second style would by wispy, with points rising up from the upper surfaces of the critter.  The last style would be all jagged-looking with rough surfaces all over.  You then cast them in clear Bonesium, and release them in a blister pack of each style.

People then paint or simply wash them to use appropriately.  This allows you to make nearly any type of mephit you can think of (there have been many, many kinds over the years.)

Get a pack of the 'drippy' kind, and paint accordingly:

• wash it with blue, you have a water mephit
  • wash it green, you have a slime or ooze mephit
  • wash it red, then paint black on large parts of the surface, you have a lava mephit

Get the wispy set, and you get:

• Leave it clear and you have an air mephit
  • Wash it in reds and oranges and it's a fire mephit
  • Wash it in grey and you have a smoke mephit
  • Wash it in yellows, and you have a sulphur mephit (or, a mephitic mephit, if you will.)
  • Wash it green and you have a chlorine/poison/swamp gas mephit (acid mephit?)

Pick up a blister of the craggy style and:

• Leave it as is or drybrush it with white (and maybe some blue washing) and you have an ice mephit
  • Leave it clear, it is a glass mephit
  • Drybrush it white (maybe off-white) and you have a salt mephit.
  • Paint it in light, sandy earth tones, and you have a dust mephit
  • Paint it in darker earth tones, you have an Earth mephit
  • Wash it orange, then paint the craggy plates black and you have another type of lava mephit.

I'm just saying that it is a versatile idea and something that no one else is doing right now.  Any thoughts?

6 people like this

26 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

This idea from ewokskinner about clear mephits which can be customized. I think this is really the way forward for translucent bonesium whenever possible.

I think that would be brilliant.

2 people like this

I love that mephit idea! I've had so many times when the mini doesn't quite match the elemental, having something like that would make it super quick and easy to move just the right type. ::):

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Okay, so this is an idea I've been agitating for since the last KS.  I love using mephits, but it can be hard finding cool minis for the different types.  BUt with transparent Bonesium, you could make some really cool and extremely versatile mephit minis.

To start, make 2 or three sculpts of three different 'styles.'  The first style will be all flowing and drippy, like a liquid-based creature.  The second style would by wispy, with points rising up from the upper surfaces of the critter.  The last style would be all jagged-looking with rough surfaces all over.  You then cast them in clear Bonesium, and release them in a blister pack of each style.

People then paint or simply wash them to use appropriately.  This allows you to make nearly any type of mephit you can think of (there have been many, many kinds over the years.)

• wash it red, then paint black on large parts of the surface, you have a lava mephit

• Wash it in yellows, and you have a sulphur mephit (or, a mephitic mephit, if you will.)

• Leave it as is or drybrush it with white (and maybe some blue washing) and you have an ice mephit
  • Wash it orange, then paint the craggy plates black and you have another type of lava mephit.

I'm just saying that it is a versatile idea and something that no one else is doing right now.  Any thoughts?

>>>Ooops!  Didn't realize someone else had reposted this already.<<<

Edited by Ewokskinner
10 people like this

8 minutes ago, Ewokskinner said:

Any thoughts?

We all (okay a bunch of us) like your idea. And I have problems quoting people from my phone, so you didn't get the heads up.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Ewokskinner said:

It's always good to have it direct from the source. As I said before, I love this idea and buy the heck out of it!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

People of both sexes in lamellar armor (splint mail). It was used for thousands of years (tens of thousands of years if include the idea of mythical, Conan style, lost civilizations) all across the Old World. From North Africa to the depths of Siberia and everywhere in between.

In the history of armor full plate was a brief afterthought, in one corner of the world, that was pretty much obsolete as soon as it was invented. Yet for some reason full plate has been fetishized to the point that it's all we ever see on minis.

Stylistically it would be nice to have more warrior options then shirtless barbarians and knights from right at the very end of the medieval period. Full plate doesn't even exist in most of my settings (generally based on the periods between 1,200 BC to 1,066 AD for the most part). Which seriously limits my warriors options.

The same applies for chain mail and scale armor. Some Norman style knights would be a nice change of pace. Even in generic D&D worlds they can be used as lower level warriors. Not everyone you meet is going to be a high level PC.

Edited by Arikiel
3 people like this

31 minutes ago, Arikiel said:

The same applies for chain mail and scale armor. Some Norman style knights would be a nice change of pace. Even in generic D&D worlds they can be used as lower level warriors.

Have you checked out the Anhurians?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/anhur

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Have you checked out the Anhurians?

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/anhur

Yep. I like those. I've got all the Bones ones. I don't like metal minis though and their sculpts are a bit crude by modern mini standards.

1 person likes this

After looking at the Chronoscope expansion for Bones 4, I spent a lot of time wondering about the Andromedans (figures 314, 315, and 316 corresponding to 50131, 50220, and 50136).  I would love to see this line fleshed out!

3 people like this

I agree on the splint maile and chain maile over full plate. I'd love to see more figures in those please!

2 people like this

Does anyone but Fireforge and the Perry's make medieval minis in plastic? (28mm that is)

1 person likes this