ladystorm

Minis we would like to see

286 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

• Cyclops Head

Okay, this one is weird and definitely requires some additional details. :poke:  So, we now have Bones Cyclops on the way, but as @Reaper Ron mentioned in the Kickstarter Update comments, there's no agreed upon scale between the two major F20 games.  As a result, the new sculpt is too small for 5E.  However, either Reaper's Golan or Krug minis would make a good 5E Cyclops if one of them just had a different head.  If we could buy a metal Cyclops head that could be used with one of those Hill Giant models, the scale issue could be solved for a fraction of the cost of making a second, Huge-scale Cyclops Bones mold.

Kinda feels like a win-win scenario to me.

Edited by Dr_Automaton
2 people like this

Given the Bones expansion Nagendra thing... I'll just repeat my wish for some more legged snake-men. ;)

(seriously did no one else grow up on that toyline with the muscley man with the magic sword who sometimes fought snakey men and would like some snakemen that evoke the same feeling?)

Also any chance of a more old-school style Owlbear? The one with the toothy longer beak and the feather-y "mop top"?

1 person likes this

Pathfinder mythic icons in metal.  

1 person likes this

How about some ninjas with oni or hannya masks? Maybe also some male ninjas that use more than katanas?

3 people like this

We absolutely MUST have a pewter representation of the reaper cat, Mrs Bigglesworth!

3 people like this

Can't remember if it's been mentioned before, but I would love to see more of those Kid adventurer's.  Maybe a female mage / cleric and thief / scout.

4 people like this

I would like to see an entire line of heroes/villains labeled as "epic"; now we have the iconics from Pathfinder, something like that, but focused to represent epic level characters, playable or npc. Most of what we have in Reaper's catalogue fits in what I see as "adventuring" characters; I would like "upgrades". For example Almaran; you can look at Almaran and say "he is op". Personalized armour with a theme, extravagantly carved shield, flaming sword: he doesn't just look as a "Paladin", but as a really powerful one. 

Well, that's something I would like to see: over the top characters. If a wizard, not yet another pointy hat Gandalf. More detail, more accesories, if needed bigger bases that can fit an unusual familiar. Just looking on pinterest two examples: 

314bbb5c61d9d1d6d879fe7f70254984.jpg

fd510d5cea4970b1d1d36201be01075d.jpg

3 people like this

I like that "epic" figure idea a lot.  Hmmm, I'll have to whisper in Ron's ear at ReaperCon!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yeah. I think that if you put something like the blacksting wyvern on the tabletop, sure, your psj will be astonished, frightened. Thrilled by the perspective of an epic battle. That's for sure. Number can also be a good way to recreate that feeling. 

But isn't it good when we can do the same with a single, human sized individual? Someone who's looks say "don't even try". Someone who has been there, done that, so many times he is now so much better than you. Now he plays on a different level. And you, dear player, are just a pawn on his scheme. He can be good and fair but don't test his patience. Or evil and demanding, prone to cruel punishments if you fail. 

Or he/she is what awaits on the end of the road. Now it seems impossible to beat. Will you be able to reach the level? 

So, something it can fit the role of the sage or the lord, the archnemesis or the deus est machina; but it can also be something I like on my games. A misterious figure. Obviously powerful. Obviously carrying a big loot. it will interact briefly sometimes on an incomprehensible manner. Will the group dare to test its strenght? 

Finally, the players themselves. I personally when I play I'm almost always a wizard. Not driven by good intentions or a desire to help. Just power thirsty. Wouldn't it be cool to have a miniature to fit that kind of character when finally has real power? 

I don't feel that right now we have many options for that kind of character. And I do think it could be a good line not only to fit the needs I described, but as a perfect way for painters to show their best works, on particularly detailed imposing miniatures. 

Edited by NyarlaBcn
2 people like this

I'd like to see some more adventuring wizard types. My two favourite wizard minis are Ezren and Elquin. Why? Because they look like they're going adventuring. Staff, potions, scrolls, spell component pouches, etc. Not just in a class room setting displaying spells. I don't necessarily have a problem with an adventuing wizard wearing a robe, but lets have one with the other accoutrements showing as well. And no swords! Many a useful mini has been ruined by the inclusion of a sword. Unless, you multiclass, or are a magus (in which case there should be some armor as well) you aren't going to be proficient in it. Yes, I know Gandalf has Glamdring but he's an outlier when it comes to designing adventuring wizards.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Mmm well, is not as much to re-inforce my point of view as to recommend some examples of miniatures I think fit your criteria; but I do think there is many of those. 

I love Elquin for example, for the reasons you mention. On a similar fashion we have Trathus Varr, all of the Gandalf-like ones like Amathor, Galladon or Loras. The different incarnations of Domur, Trista and Darius. Andriessa, Aran Ravin, Anirion, Nolevniss, Khalib, Dramorion, Alaznist... or on the evil side, Callus, Jos, Vulthus. Or the pathfinder iconic ones: Enora, Balasar, Estra, Rivani... 

Not all of them carry all of what you would expect from a traveling wizard, its true; but actually to carry wands, many scrolls, etc is to be already of a certain level pr experience particularly if we use the plural. To me all of the listed above are adventuring wizards, some more discreet than others, some fit better on your description (Trathus, Vulthus, Callus) others not so much. But no one of them carries a sword. And (to me) none of them says "archmage".

Edited by NyarlaBcn
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, NyarlaBcn said:

I would like to see an entire line of heroes/villains labeled as "epic"; now we have the iconics from Pathfinder, something like that, but focused to represent epic level characters, playable or npc. Most of what we have in Reaper's catalogue fits in what I see as "adventuring" characters; I would like "upgrades". For example Almaran; you can look at Almaran and say "he is op". Personalized armour with a theme, extravagantly carved shield, flaming sword: he doesn't just look as a "Paladin", but as a really powerful one. 

Well, that's something I would like to see: over the top characters. If a wizard, not yet another pointy hat Gandalf. More detail, more accesories, if needed bigger bases that can fit an unusual familiar. Just looking on pinterest two examples: 

314bbb5c61d9d1d6d879fe7f70254984.jpg

fd510d5cea4970b1d1d36201be01075d.jpg

I think we have enough old male wizards with beards. What we need is young male wizards without beards. 

And old lady minis of all classes.

4 people like this

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I think we have enough old male wizards with beards. What we need is young male wizards without beards. 

And old lady minis of all classes.

I kind of agree... I used that photo because he is, well, over the top. And that was my point, over the top characters. 

And totally agree with old lady minis of all classes. But since it's my main interest, sorceresses. There is a few but most are very old style or not very well sculpted (to my taste). One of the best, I posted my work with her on "show off" is Estra, but it's not enough... Also, I know its a cliche but I would love a nicely sculpted crone in the likes of Totenkinder from Fables or Granny Weatherwax from Discworld. 

1 person likes this

Would an experienced paladin have personalised armor?

They are supposedly fighting not for themselves, loot or glory, but for the will of their patron diety.

Sure, they may get better armor as they progress, and their church find him/her worthy of it(read: no longer a danger of running off and hocking it for boze money, or of getting killed by the first giant rat he/she encounters next).

But if there's any personalisation, I'd expect it to be minor. Maybe a family crest painted in the top lefthand area of his chest plate, or maybe on his pauldrons. You know, so that fellow paladins don't have to shout "3rd paladin from the left, the OTHER left, watch out for the ork... never mind... "

That those outside the faith can't see the difference between them may be a bonus in battle, and help make them look more formidable when doing guard duty or otherwise representing their faith.

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Would an experienced paladin have personalised armor?

They are supposedly fighting not for themselves, loot or glory, but for the will of their patron diety.

Sure, they may get better armor as they progress, and their church find him/her worthy of it(read: no longer a danger of running off and hocking it for boze money, or of getting killed by the first giant rat he/she encounters next).

But if there's any personalisation, I'd expect it to be minor. Maybe a family crest painted in the top lefthand area of his chest plate, or maybe on his pauldrons. You know, so that fellow paladins don't have to shout "3rd paladin from the left, the OTHER left, watch out for the ork... never mind... "

That those outside the faith can't see the difference between them may be a bonus in battle, and help make them look more formidable when doing guard duty or otherwise representing their faith.

That's a good point. 

I guess I tend to see paladins with a cynical eye. Kind of "I'm working for the greater good, don't you see? don't you see my shining armour? the tokens of my faith? I'm one of the good ones, can't you see I'm wearing white and gold? I shine with the purity of my faith, and if I'm golden, is because I must represent the greatness of my god" 

That or as "human billboards" of a certain church. I can see Almaran, for example, as the golden boy from a temple full of old (and rich) old priests who wanted to make sure everyone Almaran saves sees the trinkets and icons he wears and understands "ah, I've been saved by an agent of the church of X, I'll make sure to make them a donation". 

And when it's about epic paladins, I guess it could just be a matter of magic items. Which are usually very colorful. A sacred magic armour & shield for example.  

3 people like this