Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arutema

What does this cube need?

23 posts in this topic

So I started on this gelatinous cube by thinning some blue ink with MSP sealer and washing it across the figure. I feel like the results came out quite well for a first coat, but what would forumites recommend as the next step? I want to preserve the translucency of the figure as much as I can.

post-11679-0-31256600-1438415553_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-14609600-1438415554_thumb.jpeg

7 people like this

That is a good translucent coat.  The only thing I could think to top it off would be to... top...it off... with some sparing white.  The design of the cube reminds me of blue waves in the ocean, so you could give the appearance of the top of the cube sort of breaking with just a very tiny amount of white.  In this case you'd really be highlighting the shine on the bubbles and pseudopoda, rather than creating sea foam.  Besides that, if you're feeling froggy and confident with your washes, you could go a shade darker in the most recessed parts of the cube too, just for extra definition.

3 people like this

I think the next logical step would be to paint some layers of lighter blue highlights to the extremities but I am guessing that this may negate some of the translucency.

I was thinking you could maybe try dragging a damp sponge over the highlights in an attempt to remove the blue ink and leave the original clear plastic showing as the highlights? I don't know if this would give enough contrast (or actually work) as I have not painted any translucents yet.

Anyway good luck with whatever you do and please show us when you finish it.

1 person likes this

Id leave this alone! I like the fact that the natural translucence is still present and it retains the effect.

3 people like this

I may try thinning some MSP pearl white with some clear sealer to try to create a bit of a sea-foam effect, but I want to test that technique on a smaller bones slime first to see how it works, look for results of that test late tonight.

Edited by Arutema
1 person likes this

Id leave this alone! I like the fact that the natural translucence is still present and it retains the effect.

I wouldn't add any more paint, but I'd hit with a liberal coat of high gloss sealer to make it really shiny and wet-looking.

3 people like this

The use of highlights could work - sparingly, they'll not impact the translucency much. The idea of a high-gloss sealer would work as well.

What I'd do, mainly because I have a mania for these paints, is use Tamiya Clear Blue thinned down to a point where it largely matches the color of the Cube and brush it over the entire outside of the figure. It'll give more definition, effectively seal the figure with a high-gloss finish, and make the clear portions of the figure look more translucent.

Please note that's Tamiya Clear Blue, not RMS Clear Blue. Different paints altogether.

Edited by Laoke
2 people like this

I may try thinning some MSP pearl white with some clear sealer to try to create a bit of a sea-foam effect, but I want to test that technique on a smaller bones slime first to see how it works, look for results of that test late tonight.

Well that ended up cloudy and ugly.

post-11679-0-46738600-1438499187_thumb.jpeg

I wouldn't add any more paint, but I'd hit with a liberal coat of high gloss sealer to make it really shiny and wet-looking.

I like this, and even have a can of really glossy stuff sitting around.

3 people like this

Good test - its how we share knowledge, after all. That might actually be salvagable with an ink wash and potentially a hard gloss clear coat >.>

I was about to suggest sometyhing similar before I looked down the thread and saw the slime. However, done much more sparingly it could have a good effect on the cube's rougher surface. Zinc white and interference blue (maybe with some medium to keep it translucent) drybrushed over the cube's high points with some points painted more opaquely for emphasis is what I'd do

I didn't do anything to the cube itself. I may hit it with some gloss varnish to make it look wet, but that'll be about it. I painted the digested adventurers, though.

1 person likes this

Testing gloss sealer on another paint test ooze, this one with green ink. How's it look?

post-11679-0-93950500-1439057041_thumb.jpeg

3 people like this

This is an easy question to answer.  Obviously, what this cube needs is Lady Gaga.

post-13860-0-39557700-1439057362.jpg

1 person likes this

the green ooze looks... welll... like green ooze!

so perfect!