Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Phoenix Rising
These are my first two painted minis in I think several decades, with probably fewer than 10 total even including my old figures. Being me, I decided to start with easy figures but non-standard paints. These were scrubbed, then primed with Army Painter Anti-Gloss Varnish to get as strong a grip as possible on a translucent figure.
I decided to do the flat slime as a Crystal Ooze. For this I mixed Gallery Glass Charcoal Black, White Pearl, and Pledge Floor Polish in about equal parts. (It's hard to really dole out equal portions with the Gallery Glass sampler pots...) I gave the top a couple of layers - about 15 minutes between coats, since it takes a while for the Gallery Glass to firm up though it's a bit faster with thin layers and the floor polish added in. I decided it was a bit too pearly and not quite dark enough, so added some more Charcoal Black and a bit of water after that for the last three layers. With the top done to my liking, I added a few drops of MSP Black Ink to the remainder and gave the bottom a couple of coats. The result was a bit too shiny, so I gave it a final quick finish of the Anti-Gloss Varnish to dull it just a bit.
The rearing slime is an attempt at an Ochre Jelly. I used the same basic 2:1 Gallery Glass to Floor Polish formula, this time with Harvest Yellow and Cocoa Brown. Again after two layers I felt the color was a bit too "happy" and added some more Cocoa Brown. I did two more layers and then added a few drops of MSP Brown Ink to the mix (not well blended, so I could make adjustments) and did a thin glaze with that. I didn't bother with the final Varnish coat on this one - the Ink glaze provided enough of a dulling effect on its own IMHO.
The pictures don't really do justice to the transparency of the Gallery Glass paint; phone flash really killed the ambient lighting through the figures.
The fastest minis I ever painted! 15 minutes for two models, start to finish. Each got a single coat of Tamiya Clear Green/Orange and then glued to a base. I didn't feel the need to decorate the base for a puddle of acidic goo.
I should probably seal them though. That hasn't happened yet, and will probably add another five minutes of slopping brush-on sealer onto them.
When posting pics of two paintings I did to my facebook account found this pic in a folder of Wormpile from the Hell Dorado mini line. Love how the gooey, icky slimy feel really worked on it. Planned to use it in my Modern D20 game I was running. But the game ended before I got a chance.
In between base coats of glow in the dark medium for specter #2 I decided to unwrap and quick paint the slimes with ink. What follows is, to my belief, THE green slime recipe.
Who's Online 47 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Sophie was taken
- Lars Porsenna
- Green Eyed Monster
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Pezler the Polychromatic
- Generic Fighter
- Darius Glenwell
- Geoff Davis
- Chris Palmer
- Mr Melons
- Thes Hunter