SparksMurphey

Homebrewed CAV: Swallowtail

The Swallowtail is a heavy recon chassis produced by Borsig-Spline for the Adon Economic Confederation. Roughly the size of the Mantis, the Swallowtail sacrifices armour for what is an impressive speed for a CAV its size, preferring to flank enemy forces for a surgical strike with its twin Herker heavy PBGs.

f0VUj6h.png

pmS5fMj.png

Click here for a 360 degree animated gif

Comments and feedback welcome!

Edited by SparksMurphey
  • Like 7

I have a lot of comments on this one. First off, the overall design is great; it clearly identifies as a Borsig-Spline CAV (hard not to with that cockpit) and looks both fast and threatening. One nitpick: the raised rectangles on the shoulder area are a bit unusual for B-S, they read more as Grundor House or RMI to me. They seem to work well with the overall design though. My only real issue with the design is the double cockpit. In many of their designs (Scorpion, Spider, Ogre, Recluse, Mantis), Borsig-Spline utilizes a unique cockpit configuration where the pilot and wizzo are seated side-by-side in a configuration akin to riding a motorcycle, rather than the traditional upright seating with the wizzo behind the pilot. This results in the distinctive short and wide cockpits on all those models.

As for the designation and description, I'm going to have to take issue with a few points. Primarily, anything with that much firepower and that many damage tracks simply isn't a Recon model. I would classify it as Attack in-game and designate it a fast-attack design (for comparison, see the Mantis FA in the Black Cobra army list in War For Sale). It actually has enough visual similarity that I personally would be inclined to describe it as a streamlined Mantis variant; the sticking point then becomes whether it mounts the Ogre's Herkers or the Mantis's Vartins. The Herker style gives the model a nice look but whether anything smaller than the Ogre could meet their power requirements is debatable; I might reduce their RAV by 1 and describe them as a lighter variant, given the shorter barrels.

Still, very cool model and nice job tying it visually to the existing line. Well done!

• Like 1

I think any model could be developed for recon. Earlier CAV constructs kept recon models in the lower end of the build size, but if its fast, why not build something that could shoot its way out of a bad spot? or provide protection for recon models with more devoted scanning and detection equipment?

With that being said, Im not wild about the double cockpit but with new manufacturers coming online the options and designs are unlimited. The days of cookie-cutter CAV models are over...unleash you imagination!

• Like 1

Fast enough to find the enemy - check
Able to survive finding a superior force - if it runs away fast enough, maybe.
Able to skirmish - with the pitiable range of the PBG, not a chance.
Cheap enough to be expendable - not really.

In my opinion, this is -almost- a recon design, but not quite. More a heavy cavalry  model; flank-turning, pursuit, rapid reinforcement, and shock

any chance of you putting that model on shapeways or similar; or is that banned because you posted it here?

Edited by Club

any chance of you putting that model on shapeways or similar; or is that banned because you posted it here?

I'd love to make this physically available. We'll see what happens.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Savage Coyote
      Thought I'd post my recently completed pair of Commander II Anti-Grav tanks painted up in the ADON Regiment 45 "Bone Collectors" scheme!

• By Savage Coyote
      A few nights ago I managed to get a game of CAV in with MiniAddict and is son at Texas Toy Solider in Carrollton, TX.  Because of the three player nature we were faced with, his son and I were a team with each of us taking 3k points and MiniAddict taking 6.2k or so points!  We set up long ways on the table and the only modification due to the terrain type we had was to play "true line of sight."  Our terrain wasn't leveled well as it was more 40k/Fantasy terrain so this seemed to work.  Forces were all "mercenary forces" by the rules due to composition/unit types"

Templar Mercenaries:
      2x Centurion
      3x Duelist
      Spartan

Spartan
      5x Javelin

ADON/Terran Mercenaries:
      2x Naginatas 
      2x Wolves
      2x Poltergiests

6x Chieftains

Ritter Mercenaries:
      4x Lion II's
      1x Cougar

Catamount (Jaguar model)
      3x Puma's (blue Cougar models)
      Thug

We also decided to use individual model activation with the cards as opposed to section activation.  

So Turn one was pretty much everyone rushing forward and/or moving forward and activating ECM to discourage target lock pot shots.  The Templar force was a little more cautious in it's approach than our side I think.

Turn 2 was really more of the same, though we had our first suppression with my Catamount suppressing the Spartan that had used it's ECM.  One of the Javelins Run 'n' Gun'd and dropped four damage on my Cougar while the heavy tanks dropped a Javelin on the far left side.

For all intents and purposes, the game ended on turn three.  We were positioned to be able to do a lot of damage and lucked out in the card deck draws.  We had five or six cards turn in row.  I took charge, activated the Catamount, and fired off his Active Phased Array 2, which netted all of the forward Templar elements.  Next, two Chieftains raced up to the center Spartan (he's behind the rock in the center of the board) and killed him with medium PBG's.  Next, my Thug moved over to put six damage on the far right Shootist.  The Shootist attempted defensive fire and did maybe one damage.  Everything else that shot at the Thug missed (honestly I thought I was trading the Thug to severely hurt the Duelist!). My Lion II's move up and gain line of sight to the second Duelist and kill it with one burn out (marked with a yellow 1.). Three chieftains peel left and kill the second Spartan while the other two Chieftains race over the left side Duelist and inflict some damage.  Our heavy tanks move forward and kill the brave Javelin, while wiffing on the other.  In MiniAddict's defense, his dice were about as cold as you could get.  All night.  It was painful for him and honestly for us because, in situations he should have inflicted damage or killed something (my Thug should have been dead) he'd only hit once or not at all.  The only glimmer of light was one of his Centurions putting six damage tracks on one of my Lion II's.  So there was that.  My Puma's all used their ECM 2 and we moved on to Turn 4.

Turn Four was mainly advancing and cleaning up for our side.  My Catamount activated APA2 again while my Thug brought down the Duelist (though he burned out and I retreated back around the corner before his Centurion could engage again.  My Lion II's advanced forward and brought the center Centurion down to six damage tracks while follow up Chieftain hits brought it to 12 damage tracks.  On the other side, the heavy tanks damaged the lone Javelin and the Chieftains played tag with the left side Duelist slowly wearing it down, though the Duelist did manage to kill one of them and severely damage the other.  I lost a Lion II to a Centurion but my other three soldiered on.

We called it after turn five, as the Lion II's and three Chieftains finished off both Centurions, the Duelist fell to the LBG of the Puma, and the Javelin was smoked by a Poltergeist or Wolf.  All in all MiniAddicts cold dice made this a lopsided game!  There were a lot of lessons and questions for this game and we look forward to playing again! 

• By Guildenstern
      Ok so, my aussie friends and us play RPGs via Roll20 every friday and we take turns GMing. After a bit of a hiatus we've come back to my game, which is based in my world I call the Land of Oden. It's essentially high fantasy, low tech (though some exists from the 'previous' world, it's considered anathema) - you've got your typical racial archetypes.

The basic backstory is there are a lot of independent type holdings, and most people belong to a Guild, if they have a trade. Guilds keep the areas safe, caravans going, food grown, and animals, well husbanded. Anyway, so the PCs are all Guild Journeymen off on their Journeyman's quest (a ritual they all have to go through before being considered full time Guild members). By tradition the quest is secret - they can ask for help, but not say "I'm on X quest, help me find Y" kind of thing.

Lots of random quests are easy enough to insert - but here's the thing. I didn't think too far ahead when I decided they were on their Journeyman's quests... and all of them are very different >< I'm having trouble tying them all together =/ I was hoping maybe one of you guys would have some ideas to help out!

Quests:
      Dariac - Dragon-Slayer (kinda defunct ancient order as Dragons no longer exist): find a red herring (deliberately made it so basically it can be anything)
      Althoniel (Healer): has to find a special plant known to flower perhaps only every 11 years (provided random pic)
      Mud - (Hunter): find the White Stag (not necessarily kill, just needs proof)
      Rosen - (Wanderer - essentially woods guide/surveyor type): needs to survey Khurash Dhenfor (an area no one's been in for a generation, give or take)
      Rincwind - (Mage) - survive to the Guild seat, at the top of the Mountain (planning a surprise for this one, once he gets there)
      Heldin/!s͎tchp - (Elf) - not really the same, his background is he was cursed somehow into the shape of a falcon (!s͎tchp) and ended up travelling with Mud as a companion for a long time, until a recent spate of magic in a Necromancer's Lair seemed to give him the ability to shift, at least temporarily back to his Elven form (it's still somewhat involuntary)

So while this can be an ongoing campaign for a while - and there will be a big Baddie slowing them down etc - I need some way to tie these together >< How do I get myself out of this pickle?! I am a little loathe to simply let them all find out everything they're looking for is in the same place... that seems... just wrong. Idk =/

Help? lol
    • By Arikiel
      Hello. I'm seeking to round out the pantheon for my custom world. While the major powers (greater gods) are known there's still a vast plethora of lesser gods that aren't detailed. As such I'm seeking your contributions. What would you be the god of if you were part of a pantheon? Create your own lesser god using the format below and I'll add you to my world.

Name
      Sphere of Control
      Alignment: ?
      Holy Symbol: ?
      Domains: ?
      Animals: ?
      Favored Weapon: ?
      Raiment: ?
      Color(s): ?
      Holy Days: ?
      Daily Prayers: ?
      Sacrifice: ?
      Place of Worship: ?
      Appearance: ?
      Details: ?

Here's mine.

Arikiel
      God/Goddess of Balance, The Walker of the Way
      Alignment: True Neutral.
      Holy Symbol: The sun and moon entwined.
      Domains: Darkness (moon, night), Sun (day, light), Weather (seasons).
      Animals: Water fowl (that fly, swim, and walk).
      Favored Weapon: Dagger (both a tool and a weapon that can be used in melee or at range).
      Raiment: A chain shirt or breast plate over scholar's robes.
      Color(s): Contrasting colors (black/white, blue/orange, green/red, or purple/yellow).
      Holy Days: The spring and autumn equinoxes. Special holidays during eclipses. Celebrated with wild revelry followed by quiet meditation.
      Daily Prayers: Meditation at sunrise and sunset.
      Sacrifice: Personally crafted items on the half-moon.
      Place of Worship: Anywhere.
      Appearance: Arikiel commonly appears as an androgynous, mixed blooded (half-elf, half-orc, etc), individual of indeterminate age.
      Details: To everything there is a season. Arikiel embraces all aspects existence. Seeing that there is a time and a place for all things but avoids being overcome by extremes. Followers of Arikiel seek to be well balanced individuals with a diverse range of skills. Both scholars and warriors they consider all view points and act as moderators in society. Most all are multi-classed in some way. Temples tend to be in places where elements are seen to meet. Such as sea caves, cliff sides, marshes, etc. The church has a loose hierarchy that honors tradition but remains adaptable.
    • By sirgourls
      So I currently DM a 5e D&D game. One of my favorite things to do is create my own magic items. The armory sets from Bones 3 seem to me to be perfect candidates to have accompanying RPG stats! To that end, I made up the following. Feel free to steal/tweak these if you like them!

Ashen Zweihander
      Greatsword
      This magic greatsword adds a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls. Its hilt is fashioned to look like the skull of a ram. When drawn, flakes of ash fall from the blade. When you hit a creature with the ashen zweihander, you deal an extra 2d6 necrotic damage. If a creature hits you, you may use a reaction to cast hellish rebuke. This power recharges every day at dusk. If you kill a creature with the ashen zweihander, its body is reduced to ashes. The only means of bringing such a creature back to life is via either a true resurrection or a wish spell.

Axe of Death
      Battleaxe
      This magic weapon is shaped to appear as if the wings of the Angel of Death form the axe head. It adds a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. Any creature you hit with the ace that isn't a construct, ooze, or an undead takes an additional 2d8 necrotic damage. In addition, if after you strike a creature it is reduced to 100 hit points or fewer, it must immediately make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or die. A creature that succeeds this saving throw takes 7d8 necrotic damage.

Bonesplinter Reaver
      Greataxe
      The haft of this greataxe is fashioned from the bleached bone of a long-dead creature. This magic weapon grants you a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. It scores a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. When you score a critical hit with the axe, the creature you hit must succeed a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or suffer a severed limb. Succeeding the saving throw results in no additional effect.

Crown of the Dust King
      Wondrous Item
      This crown was the possession of the King of Dust. It has absorbed some of that being’s power. While wearing this crown, you gain some of the properties of undeath. You do not require food or drink, do not need to breathe, and are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition. You are able to command lesser undead by your sheer presence. As an action, you may attempt to assert your control over any ghouls, skeletons, or zombies within 30 feet of you that you can see. Make a Charisma check. The DC is equal to 10 + the creature’s challenge rating. If you succeed, the undead is under your direct control. You can issue commands as a bonus action on your turn. Any undead within 60 feet of you, whether under your control or not, has advantage on saving throws to resist the effects of being turned.

Dust King’s Aegis
      Shield
      This magic shield once belonged to the King of Dust. The shield grants you resistance to radiant damage while you bear it. In addition you have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons wielded by good-aligned creatures.

Graveyard Shield
      Shield
      This shield is marked by the power of death. You can force a creature adjacent to you to fail a death saving throw. This power recharges at midnight. In addition, while the shield is in your possession you cannot suffocate as a result of being buried. Finally, when you kill a creature that is within 5 feet of you, you gain 10 temporary hit points.

Hammer of Doom
      Maul
      The head of this magic weapon looks like it is fashioned from a rough slab of a tombstone. The fangs of some creature adorn one end. You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. You may cast bane as an action. This power recharges at dawn.

Reaping Greataxe
      Greataxe
      This greataxe is cold to the touch, like a bone left out in winter. This magic weapon grants you resistance to cold and necrotic damage. As a bonus action, you can cause sickly green energy to wreathe the head of the axe, changing all damage it deals to necrotic damage. Another bonus action changes the damage back.
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)