Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

678 posts in this topic

Anyone playing this game?  It just came out recently from Osprey, they of the beautifully illustrated guides to historical armies, and is part of a series of new games they are releasing.

Frostgrave is similiar to Mordhiem in that you create a warband, level them up through game play, and the whole game is set in a ruined city -- in this case, a city of permanent winter.  The big difference is that the leader of your warband is always a wizard, and only your wizard gains levels.  They have eight different schools of magic for your wizard, and he begins play with 8 spells, and can have an apprentice who casts the same spells.  The cool thing about the game is that you can use any models with it, and Reaper makes everything you could ever need -- in fact, the official line of Frostgrave minis, from Northstar Figures, is missing a lot of the units, so you'll practically have to turn to Reaper.

This is my warband:

vqxrE2v.jpg

You can have a maximum of 8 soldiers in your warband, plus your wizard and apprentice.  I have six because my wizard and apprentice can cast Animal Companion pre-game, which adds a summoned animal to your warband who takes up a soldier slot.

16 people like this

I just ordered the book.  I've heard some great reviews on a couple of podcasts.  It sounds like fun and gives me more reasons to paint up my Bones.

1 person likes this

Played my first game yesterday.  Great fun!!  My crew had models from Reaper, Heresy, Hasslefree, Games Workshop, and Black Cat Bases miniatures.  It was a motley crew.  They all got killed, but I expected that in the first game before we really learned the rules.  We will be playing this game a lot.

3 people like this

Sounds good, I am really tempted by the game as well, given the number of models required it makes life easy.

2 people like this

Must be some people playing it here, as it seems we get a request on the forums for recommendations for minis with fair frequency.

2 people like this

I've heard of it, but I haven't taken the plunge for the rulebook yet. I have heard a lot of good things about it, though.

2 people like this

They are playing it at my local gaming store.  I watched a game last night, and now I am hooked.  I have so many models that I am working on making 3 separate teams.  This looks to be my kind of Mini based game.  No need to buy expensive army boxes, when I can use the amazing Reaper Models I already have!

CAH

4 people like this

In the midst of my Mini exchange project, I have decided to focus on one band for my Frostgrave game.  I am looking at using Dwarves and Halflings for a complete company.  Then I can build my skirmish teams from there.  I have already selected my first two, which are going to be my wizard and his apprentice.

Wizard = 02371 - Nord Kegbreaker

Apprentice = 02601 - Greymane

I am looking forward to getting them all completed.  I have some other ideas for ranged and soldiers.  This is going to be a blast!

CAH

3 people like this

Looks like a fun game.  And since it is independent of miniature manufacturer, very affordable to buy into it.

3 people like this

Looks pretty cool, I think I'll pick this up next month.  I liked Mordheim and Necromunda and this looks like it will scratch the same itch.  Plus between the first two Bones Kickstarters I can probably build a 1000 20 teams.

5 people like this

I played a couple of weeks ago. We just pulled figures out of my Vampire box and threw down in a learning game. Reaper minis are just about perfect for this. The experience system seems a bit bias towards the wizards with big offensive spells but I really have not played enough to form an educated opinion yet.

buckyball

1 person likes this

I played a couple of weeks ago. We just pulled figures out of my Vampire box and threw down in a learning game. Reaper minis are just about perfect for this. The experience system seems a bit bias towards the wizards with big offensive spells but I really have not played enough to form an educated opinion yet.

buckyball

The Beasts of War review has some suggested house rules, one of which is:

Wizard experience is very much in favour of those who are offensive. Not only do they get experience for casting spells but also for kills. While this sounds great it means someone who made a very backseat Wizard, and cast the same amount of spells, just gets frozen out. To remedy this JUST give experience for casting spells and not for kills (unless its the other Wizard/Apprentice you took out)

2 people like this

My FLGS has been burning up...er...um...freezing up? Anyway, Frostgrave has gotten very popular here.  A lot of the SoBH crowd is moving towards it.  Watched a demo game the other day and haven't been burned by one of the Osprey games yet, so I've ordered the book.

Thanks to my Kickstarter rewards from Bones II, I've got enough (after what's left over from Warlord, etc.) that I've got two warbands ready to paint and maybe a third depending on how summoning rules work, etc. 

2 people like this

The more I hear/read about it, the more I like it and want to try it.

Problem: no  gaming group ::(:

2 people like this

Picked up the book and am excited to try it out.  Love the way initiative and activations work, definitely ups the value of an apprentice.  A bit disappointed that the soldiers are only differentiated by stat line and gear.  Would have liked some minor abilities for them.

3 people like this