Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

678 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I haven't yet, but I will be.

A question for all you Frostgrave types:

I know there's no rule for this, but what is the opinion on changing figures in a warband?

Example: I have an archer. After a successful foray into the city, I find a large amount of gold. I 'upgrade' him to a ranger. Do I use the same figure and just tell everyone of the difference, or get a new figure?

I'll just add my agreement to what the others have said; I've done both. For my current warband, I've just promoted everyone and used the same figure, except for one who I chaned from a Thug to a Barbarian who uses a different weapon type. So I felt I should reflect the new twohanded weapon. 

I've also reused a figure for a warband that was killed, just bringing them back as their twin.   

1 hour ago, TGP said:

What significance does rolling 1 have in Frostgrave? Obviously, 2d10 eliminates that. 

I don't think there is any rule-based significance.   

Edited by Chris Palmer
2 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

What significance does rolling 1 have in Frostgrave? Obviously, 2d10 eliminates that. 

Rolling a 1 or a 2 is pretty insignificant in Frostgrave. Lets say you had a pretty tough fighter that had a modifier of +4 in combat and they rolled a 1 and lost to a soldier that had a +2 modifier who rolled say a 7. Even though that character lost by a 4 point margin (a 5 total to a 9 total), no damage will be dealt because the final total of the winning figure is below the base armor rating of 10. They would have scored a glancing blow and done no real damage. The losing figure would still be forced to back away of course.

What is significant is rolling high. A very high roll means you will probably win the combat even with a skill disadvantage. So in the above example if the tough fighter rolled a 14 and the soldier rolled a 20 the margin would be again be 4 points (an 18 total vs a 22) But when you compare the final total of the winning figure to the armor rating of the fighter, its very likely that more than 10 points will go through and eliminate the fighter that round.

2 people like this

Whatever works for you, but that would give a significantly greater advantage to characters with a higher Fight value. A wizard with a +8 fight is hard enough to beat on comparative d20s. If you're using 2d10, he will be nearly impossible to beat. Further, armor becomes much more important, since the number of really high rolls drops. And I would expect the game to run significantly longer.

For me, a part of the charm of the game is its speed and brutality. I wouldn't be interested in anything that would remove that.

But as I say, if you're having more fun, go for it.

4 people like this