Marvin

What's on TV?

1139 posts in this topic

I keep seeing that advertised but hadn't really put attention.

 

I just rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop. Both still great. The former still impressed me more than the rebuild has. I don't know. I'm old.

 

Ordered Ultimate Hellsing up since I found it reasonably priced. May rewatching the first series here soon, which, though it deviated far from the source material, I always thought was quite good. Alucard is the coolest always.

 

Watched Daredevil season 2--very good--and Luke Cage--quite all right, great soundtrack--and Iron Fist--meandering but not nearly as bad as people make out.

 

Nearing the end of Dark Matter season 1 now. Growing to really like it.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have finally seen the first episode of “American Gods.”

 

I only read the book once when it first came out so my memory of the plot is a little fuzzy. I like what they are doing with it.

 

Hmm, not gonna spoiler anything, so must be cagey.

 

Ian McShane was born to play Mr. Wednesday. He is smugly sinister and doing a pretty good American accent. They don’t name Shadow’s cellmate on camera, which is probably just as well (when reading the book my husband, who does not read by sound, didn’t get who he really was until near the end).  My son and I laughed at The Technical Boy, who is a nasty young punk who looks roughly my son’s age. There were some pretty steamy scenes which my son decided to go wash some dishes in order to skip. It’s not really family fare.

 

Thinking back on it, “American Gods” felt a little like a Neil Gaiman love letter to the United States. The show (so far) has done a good job of conveying that atmosphere.  Loving the soundtrack.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pingo said:

Have finally seen the first episode of “American Gods.”

 

I only read the book once when it first came out so my memory of the plot is a little fuzzy. I like what they are doing with it.

 

Hmm, not gonna spoiler anything, so must be cagey.

 

Ian McShane was born to play Mr. Wednesday. He is smugly sinister and doing a pretty good American accent. They don’t name Shadow’s cellmate on camera, which is probably just as well (when reading the book my husband, who does not read by sound, didn’t get who he really was until near the end).  My son and I laughed at The Technical Boy, who is a nasty young punk who looks roughly my son’s age. There were some pretty steamy scenes which my son decided to go wash some dishes in order to skip. It’s not really family fare.

 

Thinking back on it, “American Gods” felt a little like a Neil Gaiman love letter to the United States. The show (so far) has done a good job of conveying that atmosphere.  Loving the soundtrack.

 

Tried watching this a few weeks ago, just couldn't get into it, which is a shame because it looked quite interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the first episode when it first started, as my wife temporarily had picked up the Starz or whatever package it is to catch up on Outlander around that time, and, anyway, not being a fan of the book or anything, I thought it was intriguing but slow in that beating-around-the-bush sort of way.

 

Ian McShane is great in everything. True story.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't felt like adding anything new, so I fired up a re-watching of The White Rabbit Project on Netflix.  Kari Byron, Tori Belleci, and Grant Imahara (of Mythbusters infamy) take on various projects and provide some history as well.

 

I think it's a real shame that Netflix decided not to develop season 2.

 

I'm thinking about moving into Dexter--although I've had friends caution me away from it (facetiously).  They're afraid it will give me ideas.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been watching Legend of the Seeker and Blindspot.  Both are pretty good, but neither hubby or I are a 100% sold on either one.  

On the scientific front we are watching the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan, and it is as awesome as I remember from my childhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been watching Letterkenny at work during lunch.  This is now how I imagine all small towns in Canada to be.  I love the dialog especially between the main three characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Been watching Letterkenny at work during lunch.  This is now how I imagine all small towns in Canada to be.  I love the dialog especially between the main three characters.

 

Seen ads for this and was kind of interested but not enough to pay for it. If you want an accurate portrayal of small town Saskatchewan life watch Corner Gas. It's actually close enough to true to make it funny for those who live here.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giving "The Good Doctor" a shot. Seems like it might be an adorable medical drama. 

 

Not sure what to think about the continuation of Once Upon a Time. They were really drawn thin towards the end last season, and they had a good spot to chop it and call it done. But it seems some actors went "but we like being these characters" (understandable - looks like they had a blast) and others went "meh, I want to do other things now". I'm hoping that they more thoroughly change the show, because otherwise it is too much or a rehash. 

 

Still waiting on the CW haul to restart next week. Mmmm DC series and Supernatural. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-09-15 at 0:03 PM, Zink said:

I just found out Dark Matter won't be continuing. Bleep you Scify!!! :angry:::(: You've got money for Sharknado 50 and other crap but not enough for anything I actually want to watch. It wasn't the best show I've seen but it was interesting enough I want to see more.

Oh no! I hadn't heard this. I really liked the characters on Dark Matter.

 

On 2017-09-27 at 9:37 AM, Chris Palmer said:

I've been enjoying The Orville so far...   I just wish it would decided if it wanted to be Galaxy Quest, or actual Star Trek.   It seems to be having trouble finding a happy medium in between the serious storylines and the humor.

Exactly this. I'm enjoying it for the most part though.

The Orville seems more Star Trek than Discovery, which I'm also enjoying  for the most part.

 

 

Other shows I've been watching are:

-People of Earth which is pretty quirky.

-The Gifted, which I think has possibilities.

-Gotham. I hope they start to advance the plot. It's been getting kinda stagnant.

-ZNation. I like that they've had a bit of a time jump forward between the last season and this.

-Once Upon A Time. Jury is still out on this. I have to admit so far I'm mostly enjoying picking out the location shots as the area they're using for Hyperion is right across the river from me. About a 5-10 minute drive from home.

-Both Walking Dead series.

-And I just found out the new season of Mr.Robot is about to start. Yay!

 

Guilty pleasure is Fixer Upper. One of those home renovation shows. Normally I can't stand them but I got hooked while visiting family this summer and am actually disappointed that next season will be their last for the series.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Episode 5 of The Orville, and 3 of Discovery. Of the 2, The Orville feels more like Star Trek. Still going to watch both. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discovered both Home Improvement and Family Matters have come to Hulu. Good stuff.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Crowley said:

Watched Episode 5 of The Orville, and 3 of Discovery. Of the 2, The Orville feels more like Star Trek. Still going to watch both. 

I can't make up my mind on the Orville. I expected it to be more satirical, because Seth macfarlan, but it's proved to be much more serious than expected. I'm not sure the funny stuff goes well with the more serious stuff. I'm also not sure Seth macfarland is a good enough actor to pull off the serious tone he seems to be reaching for. 

 

Like I said, I'm not sure about it.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, Z Nation. Still weird as ever. And quite enjoyable. 

 

Though, it made me quite sad when Doc cut his long wizard beard & hair. They were awesome :ik_oops:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I can't make up my mind on the Orville. I expected it to be more satirical, because Seth macfarlan, but it's proved to be much more serious than expected. I'm not sure the funny stuff goes well with the more serious stuff. I'm also not sure Seth macfarland is a good enough actor to pull off the serious tone he seems to be reaching for. 

 

Like I said, I'm not sure about it.

 

That's just about exactly where I am. I think there might be two decent shows there, but I'm not sure there is one decent show.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now