Marvin

What's on TV?

1139 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, PingosHusband said:

I bought American Gods from iTunes and binge-watched it.  It's much bigger than the book. Neil Gaiman expects it will take 5 seasons to complete and describes it as being the book but 2000 pages long.  The two producers are major Gaiman fans, so they are trying to do it right.  Many things are fleshed out that weren't in the book, and everyone involved is doing an amazing job.  The care and attention are stunning, and the casting is absolutely brilliant, starting with Ian McShane as Wednesday.

if it weren't for GOT, I'd say that there is a lot of sex and violence in this, so on the GOT scale it's moderate.  But it all matters, none of it is there for the sake of it.  And it is what Gaiman wrote American Gods to be: a way of looking at the stories of immigrants in America.

Quoting this because it would otherwise be missed on the nerd girl Beekeepers thread.

2 people like this

19 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, Z Nation. Still weird as ever. And quite enjoyable. 

Though, it made me quite sad when Doc cut his long wizard beard & hair. They were awesome :ik_oops:

I like the new season. Would like to see the old gang back together again though.

I'm also really happy enjoying "Inhumans" which was a surprise.

When I first heard about it and saw the previews I was not impressed that there was going to be yet another superhero/mutant tv show featuring characters I'd never heard of that include a giant teleporting bulldog.

Turns out the show is quite good. Only 3 episodes in but It's one of the few shows that I'm eagerly awaiting new episodes for.

4 people like this

I want to watch Inhumans, but the time slot is killing me.  I game every other Friday night, and most of the other Friday nights will be spent on the local hockey team.

I was very surprised when I saw the preview--The wife was sputtering "was that a DOG?" and I was giggling "Lockjaw!"

1 person likes this

New seasons of Supergirl, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow appear like they'll end up fun. I'm a bit sad that Flash and LoT are doing such swift wrap-ups on the messes at the end of the past season though. Oh well, those are the feel-good shows. Arrow is there to do the dark 'n' broody stuff tomorrow. 

Inhumans doesn't get tossed onto Hulu, does it? That's what is stopping me from seeing American Gods. I don't have a streaming service with it, to my knowledge. 

Watched the latest ep of The Orville last night. At this point I'm really close to abandoning it.

I'm willing to cut quite a bit of slack to writers but there comes a point where the questionable stuff is just too much:

• Intact shuttle in the wreckage of the enemy ship? OK, it's the setup, I can go with that.
  • The protagonists can pilot the shuttle, which has been established as being the first such vehicle ever captured? Mmmm, OK. it's sketchy, but I'll grant that one for the sake of the story. (At least they didn't use an Apple computer to interface with the shuttle. :B):)
  • Convenient "cloaking device" to hide the appearance of the humans? Ehh, it's Star Trek*, so it's only to be expected.
  • Protagonists speak the language of the enemy undetectably? The what now?
  • In spite of speaking the language undetectably, the protagonists have no idea what the enemies' names sound like, even vaguely? Bzzzt.
  • And then we get into stupid Rental Car company jokes? Would I accept jokes about Crazy Falstaff's Palfrey Rentals in a modern police procedural?

I won't get into some of the more substantive problems I have with this episode, because they're too spoiler-y, but this is pretty much exactly the sort of episode that I have been both expecting and fearing from the start. I'll probably give it one more shot, but for me, this is on double-secret probation now.

* Yes, I know. :rolleyes:

2 people like this

On 10/11/2017 at 11:01 PM, Cyradis said:

Inhumans doesn't get tossed onto Hulu, does it? That's what is stopping me from seeing American Gods. I don't have a streaming service with it, to my knowledge. 

Hulu claims to have Inhumans.

1 person likes this

It's ABC, right? Should be included if so (at least for a while).

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Watched the latest ep of The Orville last night. At this point I'm really close to abandoning it.

I'm willing to cut quite a bit of slack to writers but there comes a point where the questionable stuff is just too much:

• Intact shuttle in the wreckage of the enemy ship? OK, it's the setup, I can go with that.
  • The protagonists can pilot the shuttle, which has been established as being the first such vehicle ever captured? Mmmm, OK. it's sketchy, but I'll grant that one for the sake of the story. (At least they didn't use an Apple computer to interface with the shuttle. :B):)
  • Convenient "cloaking device" to hide the appearance of the humans? Ehh, it's Star Trek*, so it's only to be expected.
  • Protagonists speak the language of the enemy undetectably? The what now?
  • In spite of speaking the language undetectably, the protagonists have no idea what the enemies' names sound like, even vaguely? Bzzzt.
  • And then we get into stupid Rental Car company jokes? Would I accept jokes about Crazy Falstaff's Palfrey Rentals in a modern police procedural?

I won't get into some of the more substantive problems I have with this episode, because they're too spoiler-y, but this is pretty much exactly the sort of episode that I have been both expecting and fearing from the start. I'll probably give it one more shot, but for me, this is on double-secret probation now.

* Yes, I know. :rolleyes:

The unlikelyness of the plot and the required suspension of disbelief doesn't bother me as the show is meant to be scfilite so I expect that.

I agree with you about some of the over the top and/or questionable jokes though. They do seem out of place.

However there was some clever writing regarding old scifi tropes.

Like when the first officer noted there were families on a planet under attack and the helmsman chimed in with there are probably a lot of single people down there too.

Or when the captain asks to open a hailing channel to an enemy vessel and then immediately starts talking only to be interrupted by the bridge officer who tells him oh, she hadn't done it yet.

Those were things I found funny anyway that were based on situations I've seen on more serious scifi shows a hundred times before.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
5 people like this

7 hours ago, etherial said:

Hulu claims to have Inhumans.

Appears it does. Don't know how it didn't pick up that I'd be interested in this, considering what I watch. It also missed Powerless, which is a big shame. I only caught that after it had been canceled, and it was adorable. 

Saw the season opener of “Legends of Tomorrow.”  It was pretty weak and annoying.  High schooler and I were squirming, watching the long slow lobs of characters forced to act out of character, bad jokes, stupid coincidences, and obvious telegraphed highly improbable plot twists.  Also they seem to have gone back to characterising the whole team as humiliated fig-ups.

Yes, the show is supposed to be cornball and goofy, but come on!

About three-quarters of the way through it we started reminiscing about the episode almost exactly a year ago, the Civil War one with zombies which was so unexpectedly poignant and strong and devastating.

Or heck, the one set in feudal Japan in which the  directors and the actors got to reenact all their favorite Kurosawa type scenes.

They can do way better.

2 people like this

Legends of Tomorrow entertains me more than Doctor Who (I know, perhaps blasphemy). It is cheesy and corny, and Pingo's complaints are pretty accurate. They just didn't bother me quite as much. I liked that it didn't take itself seriously in general. By being not-serious, I was able to get away from my dislike of time travel plots and stories. The goofball banter amuses me. They can go "whoops, we elfed up time again, better go fix it" instead of getting wrapped up in annoying drama usually. 

The new episode is a bit over the top on the team being losers though. It did seem out of place. 

Edited by Cyradis
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Legends of Tomorrow entertains me more than Doctor Who (I know, perhaps blasphemy). It is cheesy and corny, and Pingo's complaints are pretty accurate. They just didn't bother me quite as much. I liked that it didn't take itself seriously in general. By being not-serious, I was able to get away from my dislike of time travel plots and stories. The goofball banter amuses me. They can go "whoops, we elfed up time again, better go fix it" instead of getting wrapped up in annoying drama usually. 

I do like the elbow nudges and broad winks of Doctor Who references in LoT, up to and including casting Arthur “Rory” Darville as longcoat-wearing time traveller Rip Hunter.

Their nod to “The Doctor’s Wife” was not as good nor as moving as that Neil Gaiman-penned classic, but it was fun.

Edited by Pingo
2 people like this

I'll be watching the first episode of the final season of Star Wars Rebels tonight.  Started watching it with the kids and kinda got hooked on it.

TNG now while painting, seen them all so I don’t need to pay attention. Otherwise been making my way through the run of Cheers. I enjoy it but nobody else does so they leave me alone ::P:

Getting caught up on the new seasons of Flash, Arrow, and Lucifer as well.

Edited by Sophie was taken
2 people like this