Marvin

What's on TV?

Binge watched Stranger Things season 1 this weekend with our son who visited from college.  We all thought it was pretty awesome.  Started on session 2 after he left, have not liked it as much so far.  About half is season 2 to go.

Edited by Citrine
Misspelling
  • Like 3

On 10/28/2017 at 11:07 PM, Erifnogard said:

Wouldn't the showing listing just be 'Nevermore'?

The poem is called "The Raven" ::P: And there's also The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell Tale Heart, Annabell Lee, The Bells... 

• Like 5

Just finished Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for the first time. Whoever said it got better around season 3 wasn’t kidding.

Still, there were several moments I recalled from watching its original run before giving up on the show entirely. Apparently I made it all of three episodes back then. ::(:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of Star Trek, season 4 of Black Mirrors first episode USS Callister was a really good holodeck episode!

Also watched the first couple of episodes of The IT Crowd. Not bad. Good for when you don't want to actually concentrate on what's on TV.

Just finished watching season 1 of The Last Ship, about a Navy destroyer and it's crew after a global pandemic.  Very good show, seems very realistic in its portrayal of both the ship's crew and what would be going on.  Will definitely buy and watch the other seasons.

I'm watching Robotech from the 80s, Planet Earth and Myths and Monsters. Enjoying them all although Robotech makes you wonder what they were thinking at times. Ah, it's an 80s cartoon. You gotta expect some wierdnessbut kissing and music as the huge psychological weapon against the aliens made me laugh.

I recently discovered Happy on SYFY.  It’s about finding a kidnapped girl with an imaginary friend. Actually it is weird and funny in a twisted way without being grim. Also funniest martial art fight ever. It’s rated WTF.  Not for young kids tho.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Citrine said:

Just finished watching season 1 of The Last Ship, about a Navy destroyer and it's crew after a global pandemic.  Very good show, seems very realistic in its portrayal of both the ship's crew and what would be going on.  Will definitely buy and watch the other seasons.

The first two seasons were really good... I saw them when they aired. I haven't watched the rest of them.

Just finished plowing through season 5 of Leverage... Still one of the best series finales I've seen.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Flit said:

Actually it is weird and funny in a twisted way without being grim.

::o:

I dunno.

Yeah it's weird, funny, and twisted, but I thought it was pretty grim.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

::o:

I dunno.

Yeah it's weird, funny, and twisted, but I thought it was pretty grim.

Agreed. It may have been because we were watching it while I was sick, but it seemed pretty dark... especially the episode where you find out the event that led to the main character's marriage being ruined.

Watching the Last Kingdom right now. Historical series about ~ 850 AD England when the vikings were attacking and at the height of their strength. Focuses on a man born in Northumbria and raised by danes. He wants to become an english lord and regain his family lands but is conflicted because the saxon king and nobles aren't appreciative of him. I'm enjoying it so far and it makes me want to go back to playing Mount and Blade Viking Invasion which is set at the same time.

• Like 2

I’ve been busy, but am catching up on this season of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, the goofy misfit superteam with a time ship show.

I had not been in any hurry because the season’s first couple of episodes were pretty lame.

But it turns out they rapidly climbed back to the level of inspired lunacy and unexpected depths I had come to enjoy in the show.

Anyhow, I warched their Halloween episode, “Phone Home” the other night. It is a total E.T. homage, with riffs on Alien and Singin’ In the Rain for good measure.

Seriously, it’s a really fun episode.

And I just realized why Singin’ in the Rain was specifically chosen as the little boy’s favorite musical he shared with the cute lil’ alien he found.

It’s because the last musical number in the film is “You Are My Lucky Star.”

That piece of music is never used in the episode.

But in “Alien” it is the song Ripley sings to herself whenever she gets nervous.

Subtle!

• Like 5

I've had Last Kingdom queued up a long while. It's worth doing, then?

Also, how fast should I hop on Altered Carbon?

I enjoyed Last Kingdom quite a bit. Not particularly groundbreaking, but definitely a good watch.

Altered Carbon is, so far, enjoyable. It's a bizarre mishmash of a lot of good sci-fi, and although it never quite equals the sum of it's parts, it's been fun to watch. The hotel is the best character, IMO. We've watched about half of it so far, will likely finish it all out over the next two evenings.