Marvin

What's on TV?

13 hours ago, Beagle said:

Really disappointed in star Trek Discovery,

Out of curiosity,  how far into the season have you watched?

In my opinion the season started out disappointingly but things got real interesting around episodes 9-10 and has remained so.

Being "Mr. Current With The Times" that I am, I have started watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot from last decade.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I still haven't watched the entire series. Back when it was still on I didn't have cable/satellite so I only saw bits and pieces until right near the end. I got to see what upset everybody without having seen most of what made it popular. :wacko: It's on my watch someday list.

1 hour ago, Zink said:

It's on my watch someday list.

That's where it sat with me for a long time, then I noticed over the weekend it was available on Amazon Prime Video.

• Like 2

I just started to work my way through "The Shannara Chronicles" on Netflix.  I haven't read any of the Shannara books, so I'm wondering how close the TV series is to the source material.  Mostly, I had no idea the setting was post-apocalyptic fantasy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clearman said:

I just started to work my way through "The Shannara Chronicles" on Netflix.  I haven't read any of the Shannara books, so I'm wondering how close the TV series is to the source material.  Mostly, I had no idea the setting was post-apocalyptic fantasy.

I read the first few

books back when they first came out way back in the olden days.

Back then they were fantasy.

Still don't understand when that changed or when the author made the reveal or whatever the heck happened.

To be honest. Not interested enough to go back and reread them to look for the signs or clues, if any were even there.

• Like 1

I thought they were low-key far-future fantasy that basically presented as generic fantasy from the start. I only read one book though, and I was never sure if it was the first-first or first in a later series or what.

I really liked the first season of the show, as I'm sure I've stated somewhere already. Heard pretty bad things about season 2 tho 

• Like 1

From what I remember in the books it was essentially a fantasy world that had evolved from a post-apocalyptic one (Dwarves were the descendants of fallout shelter dwellers, Orcs were originally radioactive mutants etc.), and there was the occasional ruined city, but it was all very low-key background stuff. 

The forests weren't stuffed with rusty cars like in the TV series.

• Like 1

I've read a few of the Shannara books and the Elfstones is one of my favourites. The series seems to be mostly based on it. Not because it's a super book but it's a nice story and one of the first fantasy things I ever read as a kid. The setting was a far future where magic had returned a little bit and there were pockets of hidden ancient ruins of a high tech society. Pretty standard tropes for a fantasy novel and not necessarilly our world/future. The high tech and ruins were only really a part of one of the books I read.

The series made me cringe and I haven't watched the second season because of what it did to my beloved childhood characters. Will is an idiot instead of a well meaning but inexperienced young man grappling with overwhelming events. Eretria is a conviving beech instead of a basically decent person trying to get out of a nasty situation any way possible. They took a relatively straight forward young adult level novel about good, evil and sacrifice and tried to turn it into an edgey, adult fantasy soap opera. Just didn't work for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zink said:

The series made me cringe and I haven't watched the second season because of what it did to my beloved childhood characters.

The show is mediocre.  Not the best, but not completely horrible, and I gave in a thumbs up for Netflix's rating system.  If I would have read them, I probably would not have the same opinion.  Understandable why it hasn't been renewed for season 3.

20 hours ago, Clearman said:

When the first book came out there was a lot of snickering and eye-rolling in my corner of fandom because it was viewed as a pretty much scene-for-scene ripoff of Lord of the Rings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clearman said:

Understandable why it hasn't been renewed for season 3.

I hadn't heard that but I'm not surprised.

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

When the first book came out there was a lot of snickering and eye-rolling in my corner of fandom because it was viewed as a pretty much scene-for-scene ripoff of Lord of the Rings.

My friends and I had that reaction too.

But we all read the first few books anyway.

Well, it took nearly six months but I made it through all the Star Trek on Netflix.

I SEEN ‘EM ALL! 

Except for Discovery, because that’s still exclusive to CBS No-Access <_<.

I don’t know what to watch while painting now. My routine is broken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Well, it took nearly six months but I made it through all the Star Trek on Netflix.

I SEEN ‘EM ALL! 

Voltron.

2 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

I SEEN ‘EM ALL! 

Voltron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1