Marvin

What's on TV?

There's a new Magnum PI? :blink: I'm honestly scared to watch because I love the original. I'm not a huge fan of most reboots when compared to the originals. That reminds me I recorded the Lethal Weapon series on my pvr and never watched them. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Zink said:

There's a new Magnum PI? :blink: I'm honestly scared to watch because I love the original. I'm not a huge fan of most reboots when compared to the originals. That reminds me I recorded the Lethal Weapon series on my pvr and never watched them. 

I’m recording the new Magnum but I’ve got doubts and fears about it.

We’ll see, I guess...

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I’m recording the new Magnum but I’ve got doubts and fears about it.

We’ll see, I guess...

I never watched it but did a little reading which didn't quell my worries. Higgins is a young (~30) woman! Magnum is latino because racial mixing is good. AAHH! I'm all for racial equality. I'm all for sexual equality. I'm not for it being a must that you need your token whatever to make it "modern" or to change it up from the original. Original Magnum had friends of all races. Higgins was awesome and I'm not sure how the current actress could do something like the original. Shouldn't complain when I haven't seen it yet.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Zink said:

Lethal weapon was pretty good. The new actors managed to capture the spirit of the originals pretty well (though the Waynes brother wasn't Roger enough, if you know what I mean). 

Of course, they ruined it at the end of the last season, so we won't be watching it anymore.

• Like 4

I was excited about Magnum PI at first, but then saw they were making Higgins a woman, which makes me worry that they're doing it just to add sexual tension. But it was finding out that the director did some of the Fast & Furious movies that really has me scared. The clip of him spinning the Ferrari around 180 degrees while shooting, then jumping out of the car to grab a helicopter's skid made me want to puke. The original Magnum was good b/c he wasn't some unbelievable action hero.

I thought that Iron Fist S2 was excellent and one of the main reasons why was b/c Netflix fixed one of the biggest problems their Marvel series - they're too damned long. Every series has spent about 5 of its 13 episodes whining about feelings and rehashing the same broccoli over and over again. They did a better job of cutting that stuff out in IF S2 but even then they couldn't help themselves... Danny appears in Luke Cage S2 to tell Luke that he needs to calm himself and find his center, but then is totally out of balance in his own series? *rolleyes*

You know what I'd like to see for once? A super hero series where the hero is actually happy with themself and being a hero b/c that's what they want to do.

Also, Paradise PD on Netflix is hilarious!!!!

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Chrome said:

I was excited about Magnum PI at first, but then saw they were making Higgins a woman, which makes me worry that they're doing it just to add sexual tension. But it was finding out that the director did some of the Fast & Furious movies that really has me scared. The clip of him spinning the Ferrari around 180 degrees while shooting, then jumping out of the car to grab a helicopter's skid made me want to puke. The original Magnum was good b/c he wasn't some unbelievable action hero.

Exactly my concerns. It was their foibles that made Magnum and Higgins such interesting characters.

If they wanted to reboot the series by changing things then they should have made Magnum Canadian and base the show on Vancouver Island where Magnums signature vehicle would be a black Ford F-150 pickup.

It’d be Magnum EH.

• Haha 6

We live in the age of angst. Nobody should be happy with themselves. If you are you're some kind of freak. ::P: Not liking the over the top action being mentioned. Magnum was tough but not a super hero. His mistakes and having to pay for them was half the interest of the show. The other half was the character interactions. I got to really like the characters even with their quirks and felt like you could just sit down and hang out with them. I'd want something like that in any remake.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Exactly my concerns. It was their foibles that made Magnum and Higgins such interesting characters.

If they wanted to reboot the series by changing things then they should have made Magnum Canadian and base the show on Vancouver Island Prince Edward Island where Magnums signature vehicle would be a black Ford F-150 pickup.

It’d be Magnum PEI.

FIFY, eh!

P.S. For the non-Canadians, we pronounce each letter of PEI when speaking about our smallest province.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Watched the Magnum PI premier.

Wasnt as bad as it could have been, but there wasn’t much special about it either.

Lots of homages to the original series and the subsequent removal of some of them.

Jury is still out.

Also watched FBI. All I have to say is...

meh.

• Like 4

I watched Magnum last night too, and found myself enjoying it more than I expected. About 3 minutes into it I was kvetching so badly that my wife told me to change the channel, but at that exact moment they revealed what the intro was about and I started laughing out loud. The helicopter sequence at the end didn't bother me so much watching it live. Probably b/c I knew what was going to happen. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to see if that kind of "XXXXXXXXstreme!!!!!" happens every show or was just a one time thing for the premiere. 

I did shed a few tears for the 308 tho. :down:

I loved how they got the little stuff tho. His little voice. The foreshadowing to his ex-wife Michelle. The ring. 

• Like 3

Recent surprising Netflix binges:

Hollywood Weapons: Fact or Fiction. Testing weapons/stunts from various movies and TV shows. Surprisingly engrossing.

Car Masters: Rust to Riches. I'm not a huge car guy and be er have wat he'd shows like this, but I blew right through this. Ton of fun to watch them build cars. Maybe a little bland, in that it lacks the douchey personalities I've seen in brief glances at other, similar programming, and I can't speak to how legit their work is or anything. But it was fun.

Grand Designs. I got hooked on building shows there for a while. Some of that stuff was cray-cray.

• Like 3

A new South Park season has started. It is hilariously absurd and disgusting. I laughed, and probably shouldn't have. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

A new South Park season has started. It is hilariously absurd and disgusting. I laughed, and probably shouldn't have. 

That sounds like South Park :rolleyes:

• Like 4

What WILL be on TV, at least for those with access to Canadas SPACE channel, on Friday October 5th is the next season of Z Nation and on Sunday October 7th the new season of Doctor Who featuring the First Lady Doctor.

• Like 3

Hubby and I have been watching a cartoon on Netflix called The Dragon Prince. It's pretty fun, and the characters are well written. Seriously, the main baddie is a fully fledged person. In that, he's not a caricature of a villain. Which makes him all the more despicable to me. He's so gross. 

Anyway, good show. We're 6 episodes in so far.

• Like 3