Marvin

What's on TV?

I watched Eckleston, Tennant, and a little of Smith. I gave up on Doctor Who due to excessive Moffat doing Moffatish stupid long term plots and awful female writing. Might give the new stuff a try - I heard he's stepped down as lead writer. I rather like the actress chosen as the new regeneration, but writing is what really is what makes the difference to me. 

• Like 3

On 9/1/2018 at 3:59 AM, redambrosia said:

The good place is darn good. Though I have to disagree with Chidi's love of Kant. Dude was an idiot.

The season 1 finale - when suddenly the show had a plot, and had it from the first episode.

Hidden out in the open, where you would never notice it.

And the show suddenly became great. :blink:

Seriously, it is a freakin' half hour sitcom! And suddenly you realize that they have been building towards this moment since the first episode.

I was floored.

The Auld Grump

Megan picked up a bunch of early season Xena on DVD at a yard sale.

She has never seen Xena: Warrior Princess, but has met Lawless.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

So I have really been enjoying Magnum P.I. The two episodes since the premiere have had the right kind of pacing for the show. No big huge cases, just small stuff that spirals out of control, more or less just like the original did. 

In episode 2 they mentioned that Magnum's dad served in Vietnam, which got me on a conspiracy theory that this show's Magnum might actually be Thomas IV (Thomas is a family name)., and Juliett could be Jonathan Higgins' daughter. That would explain how/why Robbins/Higgins knows this Thomas and uses him as the basis of his books. But then while watching the latest episode last night I thought about Rick and TC having the same names and that seemed like a pretty big co-incidence.  However after checking a Magnum fansite, I was surprised to see that Rick's real name was Orville the III, so that's a family name too. However unlikely, I suppose it is possible that all three (Thomas, Rick, and TC) followed in their father's footsteps and served together during this war.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The season 1 finale - when suddenly the show had a plot, and had it from the first episode.

Hidden out in the open, where you would never notice it.

And the show suddenly became great. :blink:

Seriously, it is a freakin' half hour sitcom! And suddenly you realize that they have been building towards this moment since the first episode.

I was floored.

Me too. 

I gave it a chance because of the Kristen Bell / Ted Danson combo, and found quite a bit of humor, but I did wonder with no seeming direction, how they would sustain it.  The revelations during the finale were fantastic, and answered that question quite nicely. 

• Like 1

I have finally reached the end of the back episodes of the Murdock mysteries.  great show and a fun romp for most of the seasons.  there was a bit of a problem with some of the "big evil villain" plot that makes one season pretty much unwatchable as they try and force the characters to follow a trumped up plot line but other than that, I really have nothing bad to say against the show.  They did manage to recover and move on, not making the same mistake again. 

Show is a detective murder mystery series set in Toronto Canada at the turn of the 20th century.  they do a nice job of mixing history with the plot line and do a great job having fun bringing in famous people from what was a really exciting time in history.

But I am caught up now and have to wait for the new season to start and finish because its Canadian and I have not been able to find anywhere in the US that carries the current season while its airing in Canada.

oh well, on to other things, I guess.  Took a look at the new Sabrina:  that is a really dark take on what has always been light comedy.  But its better than lost in space. (okay, listening to cspan is better than the latest incarnation of lost in space, its not a high bar)  I will probably give it another show or two.

• Like 3

I've been enjoying the new Sabrina series on Netflix! I've yet to hear anything good about the new season of Daredevil so I've been watching Sabrina instead.

And I'm still following Magnum, and yay Supernatural is back!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chrome said:

I've been enjoying the new Sabrina series on Netflix! I've yet to hear anything good about the new season of Daredevil so I've been watching Sabrina instead.

I watched the new Sabrina. Mixed opinions on it, but it was at least interesting. I think there are some rather obvious reasons that the size of the coven is dwindling.... 

I watched the new Daredevil. It is slower than the other seasons. I kinda liked it though. It had an interesting dynamic between Fisk and Matt, more background on Karen, and more time spent with Foggy. 

Still need to find where to go to see the new Supernatural while in Canada. No CW website to use here, which is ironic, considering it is filmed here. Here, like.... this city and surrounding area. 

On 10/31/2018 at 6:23 AM, Kangaroorex said:

I have finally reached the end of the back episodes of the Murdock mysteries.

Have you seen The Frankie Drake Mysteries?

Made by the same folks behind Murdock and set in a similar time but with female investigators.

3 hours ago, Chrome said:

And I'm still following Magnum

Me too. I think I’m becoming a fan.

Really liking most of the supporting cast.

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Still need to find where to go to see the new Supernatural while in Canada.

What Zink said.

I have the Space channel on my cable package so I can watch the new Doctor Who and Star Trek Discovery when it returns.

• Like 2

We don't have a TV. We just got basic internet, and I don't think that includes any TV station sign-ins. Flash and Riverdale are going straight to Netflix it seems, but I haven't seen the other CW DC shows, or Supernatural there. In the US, Netflix doesn't have those until the next season is out, but the CW website is available. 

• Like 3

On 11/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, Chrome said:

Watching the new Daredevil now! Only 10 minutes in, so no opinion yet. 

• Like 1

Hubby and I watched the first Sabrina episode last night. We're both on the fence about it. For me, that weird distorted lens thing they have going on is annoying. It's so random. 

Also, Salem has yet to talk and be a sassy cat. If they had him do that, I'd probably like it better. We'll see.

• Like 1

New Daredevil is best Daredevil.

This season is a slower start, but it does a great job with character development on all counts. Kingpin is great, and I. Love. Dex. The way they've taken about 40 years of disparate Bullseye events from the comics and condensed it to a single coherent story is maybe the best comic-to-TV adaptation I've seen.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, Sanael said:

New Daredevil is best Daredevil.

This season is a slower start, but it does a great job with character development on all counts. Kingpin is great, and I. Love. Dex. The way they've taken about 40 years of disparate Bullseye events from the comics and condensed it to a single coherent story is maybe the best comic-to-TV adaptation I've seen.

I'm really enjoying it!! Half the season to go still...

Tonight looks like it'll be Cowboy Bebop!

• Like 3