Marvin

What's on TV?

I watched Eckleston, Tennant, and a little of Smith. I gave up on Doctor Who due to excessive Moffat doing Moffatish stupid long term plots and awful female writing. Might give the new stuff a try - I heard he's stepped down as lead writer. I rather like the actress chosen as the new regeneration, but writing is what really is what makes the difference to me. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2018 at 3:59 AM, redambrosia said:

The good place is darn good. Though I have to disagree with Chidi's love of Kant. Dude was an idiot.

The season 1 finale - when suddenly the show had a plot, and had it from the first episode.

Hidden out in the open, where you would never notice it.

And the show suddenly became great. :blink:

Seriously, it is a freakin' half hour sitcom! And suddenly you realize that they have been building towards this moment since the first episode.

I was floored.

The Auld Grump

Megan picked up a bunch of early season Xena on DVD at a yard sale.

She has never seen Xena: Warrior Princess, but has met Lawless.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

So I have really been enjoying Magnum P.I. The two episodes since the premiere have had the right kind of pacing for the show. No big huge cases, just small stuff that spirals out of control, more or less just like the original did. 

In episode 2 they mentioned that Magnum's dad served in Vietnam, which got me on a conspiracy theory that this show's Magnum might actually be Thomas IV (Thomas is a family name)., and Juliett could be Jonathan Higgins' daughter. That would explain how/why Robbins/Higgins knows this Thomas and uses him as the basis of his books. But then while watching the latest episode last night I thought about Rick and TC having the same names and that seemed like a pretty big co-incidence.  However after checking a Magnum fansite, I was surprised to see that Rick's real name was Orville the III, so that's a family name too. However unlikely, I suppose it is possible that all three (Thomas, Rick, and TC) followed in their father's footsteps and served together during this war.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The season 1 finale - when suddenly the show had a plot, and had it from the first episode.

Hidden out in the open, where you would never notice it.

And the show suddenly became great. :blink:

Seriously, it is a freakin' half hour sitcom! And suddenly you realize that they have been building towards this moment since the first episode.

I was floored.

Me too. 

I gave it a chance because of the Kristen Bell / Ted Danson combo, and found quite a bit of humor, but I did wonder with no seeming direction, how they would sustain it.  The revelations during the finale were fantastic, and answered that question quite nicely.