TheAuldGrump

Kings of War

487 posts in this topic

Waiting for the hardcover of the second edition of Kings of War, and playing from the PDF....

Loving the game - it feels right. It creates the sweeping battles that I want, and plays out quickly - with a lot of depth because of how important maneuvering is in the tactics.

I am using Mantic minis for the bulk troops, mostly - Reaper minis are in use as character models and as monsters.

How do others feel about the game?

The Auld Grump

5 people like this

I have read the rules, and I am trying to find the time to squeeze a game in.  Looks like a much better rules set than Age of Takeallyourmoney.

6 people like this

I passed on the kings of war kickstarter, I may look into it later.

I have the first ed. hardback and have read through it numerous times. I haven't been able to find anyone interested in giving it a shot, though.

I like it,and it seems like it'd be pretty cool to play.

I have the first ed. hardback and have read through it numerous times. I haven't been able to find anyone interested in giving it a shot, though.

I like it,and it seems like it'd be pretty cool to play.

That's my situation too.

I was an early fan of Mantics from their first elven sets and have a large selection of their mini for various armies... Most of which are still in their boxes waiting to be assembled.

1 person likes this

I backed the Kickstarter for v2.

Bit of trivia,

My name is listed in the Special Thanks section of the Credits for the first Kings of War hardcover rulebook.

5 people like this

As someone who is just getting into collecting Second-4th? edition Chaos Dwarves, and looking for a proper army game, I love the abyssal dwarves (mind you, I have the free rules from Mantic).  Once I collect enough miniatures, since I play what I want to paint, I will likely purchase the KoW 2e rulebook.  I'm also going to get some of their abyssal dwarves because they have some that have the look I'm going for. 

I will also be using Reaper Miniatures for some of the characters.  It's an interesting system.

1 person likes this

Bit of trivia,

My name is listed in the Special Thanks section of the Credits for the first Kings of War hardcover rulebook.

As am I. :bday:

The Auld Grump

4 people like this

Backed the Kickstarter and am hoping to use my old WHFB High Elves, but haven't found any opponents yet. Reads like it'll play really nicely though.

Backed the Kickstarter and am hoping to use my old WHFB High Elves, but haven't found any opponents yet. Reads like it'll play really nicely though.

Easiest way that I have found is to ask people that have Warhammer armies to try it out. The free rules, the compatibility with existing armies... and the fact that you can get in two games during the same amount of time. (And a whole lot less time arguing rules - the actual rules of KoW are very simple, with very few special case.)

The tactics, on the other hand... you can mess yourself up hard in deployment. :lol: (This is a good thing - battles have been lost in the deployment of the forces.

Flanking, the use of screens, these mean something! (One of my favorite KoW battle reports on YouTube has the winning army facing back toward their own deployment zone... They had managed to come around and catch the rear of their opponent's forces. All that I could think was... dayum!)

I gather that Mantic's mailing list has tripled in subscribers since Age of Sigmar came out.... Kings of War is a mass combat game, with big blocks of troops moving as cohesive units - which is exactly what I want in a fantasy rules set!

Flexibility also means a lot, with my favorite armies being the most flexible. (Kingdoms of Man, Dwarfs, and Undead. okay, Herd isn't all that flexible, but it looks like so much fun....

The Auld Grump

6 people like this

I'm very excited about Kings of War, and haven't done more than a few mock-battles to see how the thing flows.  I'm still assembling various units (for various armies), and then I plan on trying to rope a couple of friends into trying it.  Both of them played Warhammer Fantasy back in 4th-5th Edition, so they're familiar with the general play of a "fantasy mass-battle" game.  There is absolutely no tabletop gaming scene in my area (and the local stores only cater to card games), but I'm hoping networking and stuff like GameFindr will make it possible to dig up a few more people.

Right now, I'm having a lot of fun multi-basing units.  I just recently finished a regiment of 20 Goblin archers using old figures from the Warhammer 4th Ed. boxed set.  I never thought I'd actually get around to using them because I hate units of identical figures, but being able to point them in different directions, cluster some while spreading out others, adding in scenery, etc., lets me vary things enough to create some visual interest.

My only problem now is trying to focus on a single army, rather than trying to put something together for Goblins and Kingdoms of Men and Abyssal Dwarfs and Ratmen.  So much for finishing my Bones I Vampire set by the end of the year...  :lol:

4 people like this

I've enjoyed every game I've played so far, as has everyone I've introduced to it. Best thing about it IMO is that people "get" the game in just a couple of turns. There's very little referring to the rulebook, possibly none if you've got all the rules written/printed out with your army list.

There's actually an excellent list builder over at easyarmy.com that gives you a PDF of your list with all pertinent special rules, spells, magic items etc.

Edited by Dai-Mongar
4 people like this

I've enjoyed every game I've played so far, as has everyone I've introduced to it. Best thing about it IMO is that people "get" the game in just a couple of turns. There's very little referring to the rulebook, possibly none if you've got all the rules written/printed out with your army list.

There's actually an excellent list builder over at easyarmy.com that gives you a PDF of your list with all pertinent special rules, spells, magic items etc.

I have been using Battle Scribe, another excellent army selection program.

There is a free version - which has advertising, and a paid version - which doesn't. (The paid version also allows you to save a unit for use in other armies, and record the history and battle honors of the unit - nifty, but not vital.)

I do not mind the advertising, so I use the free version.

The Auld Grump

4 people like this

The other nice thing about Kings of War - it makes me want to have more than one army. ::):

Well, more than... let's see....

Undead, Kingdoms of men/ League of Rhordia, Dwarfs, Orcs.... (Orcs are technically Megan's. Dwarfs are shared, KoM/LoR and Undead are all mine. But tempted to add Herd and Empire of Dust....)

And Ogres.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* I suppose that I should be glad that I don't want to add Salamanders, Ratkin, and Varangur as well.

Also - Here are the experimental army lists. The Bones Kickstarters give a good start for Empire of Dust....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
3 people like this