Carrion Crown Adventure Path - Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

166 posts in this topic

Pathfinder Adventure Path

Carrion Crown

Part 1

The Haunting of Harrowstone

By Michael Kortes

Copyright 2011 Paizo Publishing, LLC

Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and The Advanced Player's Guide

Copyright 2009 and 2011 Paizo Publishing, LLC

Also uses Open Game License content, compliant with version 1.0a Copyright 2000 by Wizards of the Coast Inc

post-13529-0-59151500-1440297232_thumb.jpg

The five of you have been summoned to Ravengro by Kendra, the daughter of the late Professor Petros Lorrimor.  It is sad news: Professor Lorrimor is dead.  He had few friends in life, but counted each of you among them for various reasons.  You have been tasked with the honor of acting as pall bearers for the Professor's funeral.  You luckily all arrived around the same time, and were whisked to the Restlands (Ravengro's cemetery) immediately by a messenger boy.  You see Kendra as you arrive at the entrance.  She silently nods her head to you as a group.  As you get closer, you can clearly see her cheeks stained by tears and dust, and her sad eyes puffy and swollen from her sorrow.  She waves you each to your position on the coffin.  A sixth person joins you from the small crowd gathered in the cemetery.  She is a middle-aged human female who gives you a light appreciative smile as she takes up the rear left position.

You hoist up the coffin, and slowly proceed along The Dreamwake, led by Kendra Lorrimor, with the other attendees walking in step behind you, about 20 feet back.

As you turn right onto The Eversleep, you spot some potential trouble...

post-13529-0-78149700-1440298355.jpg

post-13529-0-80133100-1440298406_thumb.jpg

(OOC) I'm going to number each sentence below.  If you want to jump in and do anything before the full speech plays out, indicate at which number you want to do or say something...

As you turn onto The Eversleep, you notice the way is blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals.  The lead tough is an elderly but wiry human man.  Once they notice you, he steps forward and speaks.

1. "That's far enough."

2. "We've been talking, and we don't want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands."

3. "You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain't goin' in the ground here!"

4.  Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. "What are you talking about, Gibs?" She cries out.

5.  "I arranged it with Father Grimburrow."
6.  "He's waiting for us!"
7.  "The grave's already been..."

8.  Gibs continues... "You don't get it woman!"
9.  "We won't have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin."
10.  "I suggest you move out while you still can."
11.  "Folks are pretty upset about this right now."

12.  Kendra, infuriated, interjects "Necromancy? Are you really that ignorant?"

Zak's somber mouth twitches at the slander of his mentors good name. Regaining his composure Zak whispers "no that cant be."

Edited by NightyKnight

"Fall Silent Boy"  The elf said, his eyes narrowing on the elderly human. "If you believe the professor dabbled in necromancy you are a fool, and that you would halt the young lady in her burying her father, marks you a knave, now begone" (intimidate +3=13)

Interesting...

Intimidate was an interesting choice.  Your result was not high enough to scare them off.

Of the twelve, six sense trouble is about to break out, so they turn around to leave.

The other six brandish fists, clubs, saps, and slowly advance toward the party.

Gibs smiles: 
"I'm going to enjoy teaching you pointy-ears a lesson (he spits) and showing you some of our Ravengro hospitality."

Roll initiative: No surprise round.  You have your gear and armor on (since you luckily just arrived), but each of you has two hands holding up the coffin, so your weapons are sheathed/hung/strapped, etc.

"Listen, guys, there's no need for this," Stedey says, eyeing the group. "We're just trying to pay our respects."

(Init = 10)

Nisha nods in agreement "Our friend is showing his grief in his way. Let us pass without trouble as this is a day for grieving not arguing. I am certain the Professor was no necromancer. As certain as I am of my friend, Eran." As she speaks his name Eran pokes his head and claws out of her cloak briefly

(Diplomacy: 20; Initiative: 16 Nisha is not inclined to start fights)

Zak says "Neighbour, (addressing the lead human) I can assure you that the professor was no more a necromancer than you or I. So please let us past so as to not cause any more sorrow to the family and friends of Professor Lorrimor." (Diplomacy 20)

1 person likes this

(OOC since we had two successful diplomacy checks, and Zak was one of them, who originally acted before Saneriean, I'm going to have them supersede the failed Intimidate check).

One of the locals, a farmer with a rake in one hand, turns to Gibs, "See. I told you he was no Neck-Ro-mmmanncer. Let's go back to town and I'll buy you an ale. Let Kendra bury her dad in peace."

Gibs looks into the faces of the rest of his group, who have all sized you up and feel like they couldn't take you anyway, and Gibs senses they'd all rather be drinking, too. He turns back to you.

"Fine. But this isn't over. We'll keep our eyes on you. Do your business and go whence you came, if you know what's good for you." He spits, turns, nods to his men, and they leave.

Before he goes Zak reaching into his pocket pulls out a gold peice and tosses it to the lead man. "Have a round on me." When they leave Zak whispers to Saneiean, " that ought to keep them distracted."