Darcstaar

Carrion Crown Adventure Path - Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

Grimburrow is a Cleric of Pharasma.

Andari's speech was particularly well received. It moved some to tears. It made others smile and hug their loved ones. He earned a few pats on the back from complete strangers...

(+1 Trust Point!)

OOC (I would assume the trust point is only for Andari, correct? I just wanted to be sure.

Grimburrow is a Cleric of Pharasma.

Andari's speech was particularly well received. It moved some to tears. It made others smile and hug their loved ones. He earned a few pats on the back from complete strangers...

(+1 Trust Point!)

OOC (I would assume the trust point is only for Andari, correct? I just wanted to be sure.

What!?!

The WHOLE party. What's good for one is good for all. What's bad for one is bad for all.

• Like 2

Before following, he withdrew a snow white cloak from his bag. Far to bright and cheerful for a funeral procession, and flung it about his shoulders with a touch of flourish. Only then did he follow along.

Nisha nods "Lead on. I shall follow as I suspect the others will."

Nisha maintains her even voice as she speaks. Her eyes scan the area as she shifts to follow. She looks at Eran and hands him a treat as he indicates some hunger to her

The Lorrimor residence is a modest home with crowded bookshelves in every room.  Kendra welcomes you each in with a somber smile and a hug.  She uncorks a few bottles of wine: One Chelish red of a ice vintage.  The other a sweet white Elven wine.  "The reading of the professor's will requires the presence of Councilman Vashian Hearthmount.  He had some other affairs to attend to after the burial, but will be along soon."

(OOC The PCs take this opportunity to introduce themselves to each other and to Kendra, hint at each other's abilities and world-views, etc.).

An hour later, and precisely on time, Councilman Hearthmount arrives.  It's easy to sense that he doesn't approve of strangers being involved in local matters, but he keeps any such comments to himself, especially in light of how you handled yourselves at the Restlands.  He focuses his involvement entirely upon the reading of Petros' will.  He produces a scroll case.  He shows everyone that the wax seal is unbroken.  He then breaks the seal and opens the case.  As he does, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table.  Seemingly ignoring the key, he begins to read, eager to be done with this business to get home.

The will..

"I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament.  Let it be known that, with the exception of specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my daughter, Kendra.  Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child."

"Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs.  I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion.  I have two final favors to ask."

"To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask.  As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to al manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stan against it.  For knowledge of one's enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans."

"And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could hve led to an awkward legal situation.  While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home.  While invluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself.  As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously.  I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause."

"Yet, bfore you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor-please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound.  She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude.  From my savings, I have also willed each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins.  For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt-she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will."

"And the rest was his official witnessed signature," concludes the councilman.

Councilman Vashian looks to Kendra, who thanks him and dismisses him.  Putting on a brave face, she thanks you all gain for coming.  She says she'll need a few weeks to figure out if she wants to stay here in this house, or sell it and leave Ravengro.  She asks you all to stay with hope in her voice.  She offers rooms in her spacious house, promising free room and board for the whole month.  She instructs a servant to prepare the dining room for dinner.  Another refills your drinks.  She steps into another room and comes back with the locked chest mentioned in the will. 

The chest is a relatively small object of oak and iron.  Kendra, nervous about the contents, offers he key to Andari with a flushed smile. "Please, Andari, would you do the honors?"

"Certainly my dear."

Drawing a deep breath, he inserts the key into the lock and turns it. As nothing untoward happens, he removes the lock, placing it on the table beside the chest. Using two hands he opens the lid to the chest.

Nisha smiles softly "I shall stay. I could do no less for you. There is little that could drive me away as I have seen far worse in my life. You shall have my aid and support to for as long as you wish to have it.

The key fits the lock perfectly, and within are several old tomes and one relatively new one.  The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase "read me now!" scratched onto the surface of the leather cover.  The other tomes are four in number, and varying design all older.  Those four have bits of paper sticking out like bookmarks.

Who wants to do what?

Andari steps aside so that all can view the contents of the chest.

Pointing at the top tome, he offers a slight smile.  "Now why does this seem reminiscent of a story that my Grandmother would tell late at night around the campfire?  The kind of story that ends up being some sort of object lesson for children blindly doing what they are told."

Zak looks cautiously at the book " I believe I heard the same story, at one point or another." Zak steps back and looks at Andari "Well you are more of the expert on this sort of thing what do you think we should do with it?"

Nisha chuckles "It could be far worse. I wonder what it contains or any of them contain. I have an definite interest in the occult and how it can be used to strengthen my abilities and the bond with my patron through Eran. I would show caution, but it is newera nd perhaps written as information to us about the books? I know not right now."

"Eh, books," Stedey says. He taps a toe softly but quickly on the floor. "It's up to you all. I'm not much for the boredom."

• Like 1