Darcstaar

Carrion Crown Adventure Path - Part 1 The Haunting of Harrowstone

166 posts in this topic

"What is the point of reading it. If the books are of the nature the professor mentions do we really want there secrets known?" Says Zak, almost angiraly.

Nisha chuckles "Because others may hold the information and knowing it may help in defeating them. If no one else is interested I shall open the book up to read and see what it has to say."

Nisha makes the offer in all seriousness and is ready to pick the book up to read. She simply waits a moment to see if anyone else wanted to read it first. If no one makes that indication then she will will pick it up and open it.

"with permission, I would like to study the tomes. I have some training in arcane, and mundane lore. However, I would not wish to study them alone. Evil is after all, more than a concept, it is a reality, and one with power and at times will. I have no desire to put myself in danger." Setting down his very fine elven wine, and making a note to compliment his host on it, in the morning when such things are more likely to be appreciated, rather than at the end of a hard day, he rose and made his way to look at the books, and to check out the titles to see if there where any familiar to him.

Zak still adamant to not read the books huffs, and goes over to study the other tomes on the walls.

Edited by NightyKnight

Nisha and Saneriean open the first tome with the Read Me Now scratched on it.

It's Petros' journal.

Most of it is bland day-to-day accounts of his thoughts. He had gone back to several of his entries and circled them in red ink as follows...

post-13529-0-79444900-1440602793_thumb.jpg

The most recent entry, from 17 days ago, coincides to the day of Petros' death.

(OOC let me know if you can't read something).

The next book is untitled. It has a rich purple cover containing a brass scarab set with a single eye in its center. It has a note to deliver it to Embreth Daramid, a judge at the Lepistadt Courthouse, along with his home address so you can deliver it discreetly if you wish. The contents of the book, although written in Varisian, don't seem to make much sense.

The other three books have notes to deliver them to Montagnie Crowl at Lepistadt University.

On Verified Madness: this jet black book is a treatise on aberrations and other entities on Golarion with remote ties to the Dark Tapestry: the black void between the stars in the night sky

Serving Your Hunger: this text is a copy of one of the unholy texts sacred to the Goddess Urgathoa. Lorrimor's marginalia is liberally sprinkled throughout.

The Umbral Leaves: this lexicon is a translation into common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon.

"Interesting texts. Dangerous texts as well if I am understanding the subjects correctly. I know of only a few priests and priestesses back home who I would trust these to, but few others. That the Professor is willing to send them to these people I think speaks volumes about them. But his journal, now that is another matter. I say leave it out, and lock the rest of these away once more."

(what sort of knowledge check would info about the Whispering Way be?)

"Indeed, but his journal concerns me. He was working on stopping something. It could be that this work is why the town is so angry and have made assumptions about him. Also if he was so concerned then I would worry about what he was trying to prevent." Nisha looks concerned still about the journal 

Though the other texts especially the one on the Void intrigue her she is definitely more concerned about the journal. Though she does have to ask "Is it possible this one that seems to make no sense is actually in code or not actually in the language we think it is?"

Sorry.

RETCON. (missed a sentance the first time, in my rush to put out the journal bits).

The purple book is locked.  No key to be found.  It could be picked or broken if you like, or let it stay locked.

The various topics you can research will have different knowledge checks.

The Whispering Way will be Knowledge (Arcana) and/or Knowledge (Religion).

(OOC: Nisha has Arcana! And got a decent roll. 15 on the die. 15+9=24 

Also with the knowledge she would not comment on the locked book in that fashion, but say something else)

For the retcon...

Nisha looks at the locked book  "I would rather not break the lock of a book we are supposed to be delivering. The knowledge of how to bypass the lock though is not within my skillset."

"It is not one of my skills either.  I agree that the Professor's journal entries appear to point to a probable cause of his death. This is something that we should focus on while we remain here in town."

He then frowns.  "The contents of these other three texts concerns me.  I realize the importance of knowing ones enemies, however the cults of Urgathoa and Zon-Kuthon are vile and anathema to the Tender of Dreams.  I would caution you all not to be tempted by anything revealed within these texts."

(OOC:  Go go Inquisitor disapproval!  Knowledge Religion roll for Whispering Way: 15+6= 21 (if monster weaknesses are involved add an addition +5))

"Nothing good ever came of those two. It's true." Stedey spits on the floor. "That's dangerous stuff to be reading."

(Whispering Way general knowledge check: d20 + 2 = 5 great big ol' NOPEs)

Nisha ponders "Perhaps they were involved in what he was investigating and thus he wished to know more so he could better evade them. I have no interest in either religion. I may be viewed as being on the darker side of things, but I do wish protect people from things when possible."