knarthex

So What Have you Read Lately? And other favorite books!

Every one that has ever been to a Fantasy / sci-fi / gaming con HAS to read "Bimbos of the Death Sun", By Sharyn McCrumb. (ISBN 0345483022)  It is a Murder Mystery that takes place at RubiCon, a fictional con. You will meet every stereo-typed sci-fi con goer there is! It's a good mystery, and very humorous as well. The Motive for the murder will make you HOWL with Laughter!

A must read for Con Goers!

8)

George

I have 'loaned out' at least 3 copies of this book, I need to get another copy, again....

• Like 3

Every one that has ever been to a Fantasy / sci-fi / gaming con HAS to read "Bimbos of the Death Sun", By Sharyn McCrumb. (ISBN 0345483022)  It is a Murder Mystery that takes place at RubiCon, a fictional con. You will meet every stereo-typed sci-fi con goer there is! It's a good mystery, and very humorous as well. The Motive for the murder will make you HOWL with Laughter!

8)

George

I have 'loaned out' at least 3 copies of this book, I need to get another copy, again....

Glances at copy on shelf two feet left of computer.

Wonders how we acquired one with a tasteful cover.

Wonders where the original got to.

• Like 4

8)

George

Glances at copy on shelf two feet left of computer.

Wonders how we acquired one with a tasteful cover.

Wonders where the original got to.

Do you agree?

8)

George

Battle Cry Freedom : James M. McPherson.  

I picked up a random civil war book off the new arrivals shelfat the library it was dreck.

so I googled best book on civil war - and came up with this pulizter prize winner. 

It was terrific. 

• Like 1

Currently reading "Cast in Secret" one of the Elantra series. I didn't think I would like it, I tend to prefer Sci Fi to fantasy, but the books are a wonderful mix of deep characters, seriously complex plots and a really weird set of races. Besides, the emperor is a dragon who has chosen to consider the empire his hoard. That was a really cool concept!

I'm also re - reading the Ringworld series and Nightside City because I need some techno babble in my life...

• Like 2

8)

George

I have to dig out my copy and reread it again.

• Like 2

This summer I've been reading a lot more than I had been for a while (I read really slowly, so it typically takes me a month of reading before bed to finish a single ~350pg book).  So far this summer (since end of June) I've blasted (again, compared to my usual speed) through the following:

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Armada by Ernie Cline

The End of All Things (Old Man's War book 6) by John Scalzi

Redshirts by John Scalzi 

The Martian by Andy Weir

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

and I'm about half-way through Lost World by Michael Crichton

I re-read a few works every few years:

The Hobbit

The Lord of The Rings

The Dark Tower Series

The Old Man's War Series

:)

• Like 4

I've wondered off and on if this forum had a reading thread (and music thread, and games thread) since they were always popular off-topic fodder elsewhere. I did consider the possibility that I simply missed said threads since I spend so little time in OT.

My brother liked The Name of the Wind so much that he bought a hardback copy for me. I got about 100 pages in and couldn't make it any further. First-person narrative was never my favorite style, but I used to be able to handle it if the writing was good. I can't think of a first-person book that I've finished this decade though.

• Like 2

I've found a few "new to me" authors I really enjoy:

http://mackeychandler.com/

Mackey Chandler: Scifi, escapism, fun reading.  Prefer the April series, but the Family Law series is also great.

http://www.honorraconteur.com/

Honor Raconteur: fantasy fiction, one sci fi book, I think it might be intended for younger readers.... good escapism.  Kingslayer is my favourite....

I have lots of other books I like reading... but these are some recent fun ones.

• Like 2

I read Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice this summer. It's award-winning space opera whose narrator is a formerly gigantic ship's A.I. stranded in a single human body that it hardly notices is female. It's on a mission of revenge for being forced to kill its favorite officer by the immortal emperor whose consciousness is spread through thousands of genetically identical bodies scattered through the galaxy.

It's a fun piece of well-thought-out space opera with an amusingly skewed perspective.

I have this on my "to read" pile. 

I wanted to finish my civil war book first, and then there is the posthumous  Tiffany Aching book by Pratchett...

thankfully my lovely wife keeps waving all our library fines,

lucky for her too, it took her 4 weeks to start the Martian, 1 week to finish it. 

I read it in 2 days, finishing at 2am. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

I wanted to finish my civil war book first, and then there is the posthumous  Tiffany Aching book by Pratchett...

That's my next book to pick up. I've been delaying cause I hate it being the last one. Pratchett was so prolific I could pretty much count on always have a new book of his on my Christmas list.

Actually I'll need to pick up two copies, as my young niece has also become a fan of the Tiffany Aching stories thanks to her uncle.

• Like 1

That's my next book to pick up. I've been delaying cause I hate it being the last one. Pratchett was so prolific I could pretty much count on always have a new book of his on my Christmas list.

Actually I'll need to pick up two copies, as my young niece has also become a fan of the Tiffany Aching stories thanks to her uncle.

His last couple of books have been such shadows I have been slightly dreading this one, but with affection and interest too, the way one dreads and longs for a visit with a much reduced ill beloved old relative.

His last couple of books have been such shadows I have been slightly dreading this one, but with affection and interest too, the way one dreads and longs for a visit with a much reduced ill beloved old relative.

I thought Steam eventually picked up enough  steam to be good. But yah the first half was lacking. 

• Like 1

I've wondered off and on if this forum had a reading thread (and music thread, and games thread) since they were always popular off-topic fodder elsewhere. I did consider the possibility that I simply missed said threads since I spend so little time in OT.

My brother liked The Name of the Wind so much that he bought a hardback copy for me. I got about 100 pages in and couldn't make it any further. First-person narrative was never my favorite style, but I used to be able to handle it if the writing was good. I can't think of a first-person book that I've finished this decade though.

I loved the Name of the Wind! I can understand your POV though. He kind of drags it out. I absolutely refused to read the Slow Regard of Silent Things. 

Not.Interested.

However, I recently read a series of books by Sever Bronny, and I really enjoyed it. 

I also love the Black Company, and when I'm looking for something for a quick read, I like the Dresden Files or the Iron Druid Chronicles.