knarthex

So What Have you Read Lately? And other favorite books!

582 posts in this topic

Oooh, I'd love to have more time to read! I'm following this thread so I've got lots of good ideas. I used to read all the time as a kid - during the summers, my mom would take me to the library every 2 weeks and I'd pick 20 books, which was the maximum you could check out at once.  ^_^ I don't have that much free time anymore!

I need to finish Cryptonomicon. I picked it up back in high school, but I didn't take it with me when I left. I love Neal Stephenson's work, though. Snow Crash was the first book I read by him. I only picked it up because it was a big book and I was tired of finishing books within a couple of hours. I was only 11, so there was obviously quite a bit of stuff I didn't fully understand, and some obvious humor that went over my head, but I was determined to make it through the book I chose! I've always been stubborn about finishing every book I start. I remember giggling a lot at the name "Hiro Protagonist." I reread it when I was around 15. It made MUCH more sense and I loved it! If my mother knew what was in that book, she probably wouldn't have let me read it....

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth are definitely my favorite classic books that I've read. Granted, I haven't read very many of them! 

I've also had Pratchett's work on my wishlist for a while now... I've really got to get to them. When he passed away earlier this year, I felt like I had personally failed him by not reading his books yet.  :down:

Favorite book series that I like to reread -

Harry Potter (currently rereading)

Hobbit + Lord of the Rings 

Dragons of Pern (Anne McCaffery)

Legend of Drizzt (which you can only reread so much... I get that the writing style lets readers jump in at any point of the book series, but I can only read "600 pounds of panther" so many times.)

Nearly anything by Stephen King

Edited by Morihalda
3 people like this

Currently re-reading Wizard War by Hugh Cook.  Had read it several times before but the last time was 20 some odd years ago.  It popped into my head on the drive home on Monday (mostly the bit about the magic bottle) and I found it at the library book sale later that day.

2 people like this

Morihalda, if you're looking for a more or less standalone Pratchett book, "Hogfather" is an excellent Christmas parody with enough background so you don't have to be familiar with who the characters are to follow and enjoy the story.

3 people like this

Morihalda, if you're looking for a more or less standalone Pratchett book, "Hogfather" is an excellent Christmas parody with enough background so you don't have to be familiar with who the characters are to follow and enjoy the story.

Thank you! I'll check that one out. Maybe in about a month, with some hot chocolate to drink!  ^_^

Also: Small Gods, which stands entirely alone. Here's what Pratchett said about it at one point:

- Do religious fanatics ever get mad at you for writing Small Gods?

"I may have posted something on these lines before, but a lot of mail about Small Gods is split between 1) pagans who say that it really shafts the Big Beard In the Sky religions and 2) Christians who say that it is an incredibly pro-Christian book.

I suspect the latter is because Brutha displays tolerance, compassion, charity, steadfastness and faith, and these are now considered Christian virtues (i.e., virtues that modern Christians feel they should have...)"

(From: http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/words-from-the-master.html)

I figure that's a neat trick. ::P: 

Just this morning I introduced my son to Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword. He's wrapping up the books he's currently got from the Percy Jackson universe, then I believe he's planning to tackle these books. I'm 99% sure he's going to absolutely love them. ::D: And if he decides to wait, the other book he's planning to pick up is The Hobbit. ::D: 

3 people like this

Most recent reads

The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker - it's a long awaited sequel to the Books of Blood series that the Hellraiser movies were based on.  A lot of fans were disappointed judging by reviews, but I thought the premise was pretty gutsy and really enjoyed it.

Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers - 2 of a 3 part series (3rd not yet published) by Stephen King - it's actually not what I would consider horror per se.  It's really a detective story with some chilling (but not really a lot of gory) stuff going on.

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh - a humorous book about depression.  Really.  Not my review, this is how they bill the book.

Rat Queens Vol. 2 by Kurtis J. Wiebe (no relation to Jason so far as I can tell)

3 - 5 random children's books a week, mixed fiction and non-fiction - stuff I read with my son that he checks out from school, or I check out for him from our library.

@Canuckotter - That is a great pair of books!  When my boy gets just a little bit older I plan to introduce those as well as the Narnia series (in the proper bleepin' original order)  Right now his reading level is good enough, but he's a bit young to really enjoy taking that long to finish a book.

5 people like this

On a recent trip to/from Minnesota, read The Martian, of Matt Damon-rescuing film fame. 

I have to say that I loved the book, and then I saw the film and I loved the film, which, while not 100% faithful, was at least 90% faithful and the very few things that changed were "acceptable" changes.

4 people like this

Finally got around to starting The Martian last night. Holy moley, why didn't people mention that it's freakin' funny? :lol: This is the most fun I've had reading a book in a long time. I'm almost exactly half-way through (and yes, I started reading last night after 10pm and had a full night's sleep in there - I read quickly, OK? ::): ) and not sure I'm going to be accomplishing anything else today... ::D: 

3 people like this

@canuckotter

absolutely right about Shepard's Crown.  I got exactly the same feeling. I thought the book ended weakly, but I will probably add it to my collection. 

but now I will never know if Moist will take over for Ventrari running the largest city in his world.

Added Ancillary Mercy to my hold list. 

Reading Shelby Foote "Civil War a narrative, Book 2" 

2 people like this

13069032.jpg

Fantastic collection. I'd read his Refusing Heaven but never his earlier stuff. The two preceding volumes are truly spectacular. Gilbert officially joins the short list of poets who aren't just enjoyable to read but who fill me with an urgency to write.

Just whizzing through "Step Aside, Pops", the new collection of Kate Beaton comics.

She's probably my favorite new cartoonist. Her site "Hark, a Vagrant" is full of smart, really funny commentary on history, literature, and pop culture.

1 person likes this

Well into my yearly reading of The Lord of the Rings

4 people like this

Currently half way through "Sword of the South" by David Webber.

It's good, but it's not grabbing me like some of the other books in the series.  I could be that I'm just not in the mood to be reading right now.  Saw it at the library, so I grabbed it.  I usually buy books and let them sit on the shelf until I'm in the mood to read and them tear through a dozen books in as many days or less.  I feel like I'm under a time obligation (so I can return it to the library), maybe that's it.

3 people like this

Been reading Michael Moorcock lately. Have finished the first 6 Books of Corum and 2/6 of Elric that one of my friends lent me. Started on Elric book 3 last night

2 people like this

Been reading Michael Moorcock lately. Have finished the first 6 Books of Corum and 2/6 of Elric that one of my friends lent me. Started on Elric book 3 last night

You can skip VonBrick I mean VonBek.

4 people like this