knarthex

So What Have you Read Lately? And other favorite books!

I agree on the Wise Man's Fear recommendation. However, I will add the caveat that you will read 2 books, get completely engrossed in the story... and then be left waiting. The 3rd book has not yet been published. There is a small spin-off book that I sincerely enjoyed. I would suggest that you ignore the bad reviews, because it is exactly what it says on the tin. :)

Also, for people who enjoy indie authors, The Arinthian Line is a series of books by Sever Bronny, and they are fantastic. He continued the first 5 book series into a (so far) 3 book series. I have been part of his Advanced Reader Team for 5 or 6 books now, and they really are fun. He paints a picture with words that make his world super immersive. I love the way he does magic, and his characters actually do grow quite a bit. I hate stories where they beat the bad guy and then there's a new BIGGER bad guy they didn't even know about! And then they beat that one and there's THIS OTHER GUY.... ad nauseam. He doesn't do that. :)

( this thread is 53 pages long. I didn't read it all to see if these were already mentioned. Sorry, not sorry. :B): )

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Marineal said:

I agree on the Wise Man's Fear recommendation. However, I will add the caveat that you will read 2 books, get completely engrossed in the story... and then be left waiting. The 3rd book has not yet been published. There is a small spin-off book that I sincerely enjoyed. I would suggest that you ignore the bad reviews, because it is exactly what it says on the tin. :)

Also, for people who enjoy indie authors, The Arinthian Line is a series of books by Sever Bronny, and they are fantastic. He continued the first 5 book series into a (so far) 3 book series. I have been part of his Advanced Reader Team for 5 or 6 books now, and they really are fun. He paints a picture with words that make his world super immersive. I love the way he does magic, and his characters actually do grow quite a bit. I hate stories where they beat the bad guy and then there's a new BIGGER bad guy they didn't even know about! And then they beat that one and there's THIS OTHER GUY.... ad nauseam. He doesn't do that. :)

( this thread is 53 pages long. I didn't read it all to see if these were already mentioned. Sorry, not sorry. :B): )

Sounds interesting.  Added it to the list for when I get tired of trying to read my backlog.

• Like 1

Enjoyable in the moment, annoying in hindsight. There is a lot of "smart person who is always an idiot" trope that annoys me, and Rothfuss can't write female characters. Rothfuss does string together words most pleasingly, so reading is engrossing though. 

Just finished Deynari Rising by Katherine Kurtz.  It makes me want to read Camber of Culdi again.  When I first read Camber I did not like it (partly I suspect because the book was a lot different than I expected).  I enjoyed this one.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By paintybeard
      Does anyone else find that there are well-known works of fiction that they just CANNOT read?

I pride myself on reading quite a lot of books and having at least a passing familiarity with most of the major works of English literature. I've even managed to stumble through some of James Joyce and Thomas Pynchon.

However there are a couple of books that I find I just cannot get through: "Gormenghast" by Mervyn Peake and "Moby Dick" by Melville. I've started each book at least four times, but on each occasion I get about a hundred pages in and just grind to a halt; can't face reading another sentence and put the book down. It's not that I think they are badly written, or even that the subject matter is uninteresting. I just seem to hit a wall with these particular titles. And I know it's not the author as I've read both "Mr Pye" and "Billy Budd" with no problems.

Do any of you have "good" books that defeat you, despite repeated attempts to read them?  
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      This is not the normal gaming related stuff shown here, but I thought some of you might be interested (and moreover I really like the books) so here is a different sort of kickstarter for you to look at or ignore

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1434349549/magical-romantic-comedies-with-a-body-count-in-har?ref=user_menu

basically the books are written and available as ebooks (and at least initially on publication as paperbacks), but to make them available as hardcovers isn't in the authors budget at present hence the KS

amongst the pledges you can pick up a full set of the  Magical Romantic Comedy (with a body count) as  ebooks (10 books) [I recommend these]
      or as signed paperbacks (50 sets only)
      or as signed hardbacks (25 sets & 25 numbered sets only)

or even, if you're already a fan with deep pockets the original hand written copy of "Whatever for Hire".

• By Guyscanwefocusplease
      In the spirit of the new year, I am trying to pick up old healthy habits that went by the wayside in 2017.  One of those is running.  Another is reading.

My goal is not a specific number of books (in 2017 I only read 5), but to simply read more and enjoy it.  To that end, I'll be keeping a list here.  Note: I'm cheating a bit by including books I started in 2017.  Asterisk indicates started prior to 2017; Two asterisks indicates it is a re-read.  

Completed (in order):
      Breakthrough: Why We Can't Leave Saving the Planet To Environmentalists*
      The Golden Compass*
      Resolving Ecosystem Complexity
      The Investor's Manifesto**
      Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How To Correct Them
      Nod
      It happened in the Florida Keys
      Meditations by Marcus Aurelius*
      Annihilation
      The Subtle Knife
      How to Read Water
      A Wrinkle in Time
      The Wrong Stars
      Two's Company, Three is Complexity
      Lobsters
      The Dispatcher
      Old Man's War
      The Ghost Brigades
      The Last Colony
      Assassin's Apprentice
      The Human Division

In Progress: 
      Ecological Forecasting
      Untangling Ecological Complexity
      The Amber Spyglass
      Saga of the Icelanders
      Geographical Ecology
      Naked Statistics

I'll be updating as I progress!
    • By Inarah
      There's an old engineering saying: "Fast, cheap, or good, pick any two. " In this case I needed a bunch of 1920's investigators in normal street clothes, I wanted them ready in two weeks and  I didn't want to pay $5-$7 each for them.  So I got on Ebay and bought plastic clicky game figures for a dollar a head (shipping included) and did a little putty and paint work on them.   Finished everything Saturday morning, and then the game got pushed back to next week.  Which only means that I have time to paint more monsters. 

Here are the ladies:

The one in the blue dress is from Reaper. They all could use more detail, but I was in a hurry. 

Gentlemen: 

The one on the end is from Heresy, I think.  They could all use hats but I'm not that good. 

I made most of the bases out of putty, using texture stamps.

Before photos and WIP: 

• By SamuraiJack
      Some of you know I help run a convention call MarCon here in Columbus, Ohio  Marcon is held Mother's Day weekend in Columbus Ohio in the same hotel that Origins uses.  This year we have a few guests, some you might recognize.  Still working on media guests, but this is the group we have so far.  Marcon.org for more info..

Author Guest of Honor: F. Paul Wilson Young Adult Author Guest of Honor: Cinda Williams Chima Music Guest of Honor: Dandelion Wine Legendary Artist Guest of Honor: Larry Elmore Artist Guest of Honor: David Lee Pancake Cosplay Guest of Honor: Alexa Heart  Cosplay Guest of Honor:  Mogchelle Cosplay Guest of Honor: Charles Xavier Conley (Ebony Warrior Cosplay) Fan Guest of Honor: Todd Cameron Hamilton Miniatures Guest of Honor: Shoshie Bauer   Featured Author: Walter Jon Williams Featured Author: Eric Flint Featured Author: Walter Hunt Featured Artist: Andy Hopp Featured Cosplay Guest: Nerd Girl Cosplay Featured Cosplay Guest: Brit Bliss
  • Who's Online   35 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)