Auberon

KD: Monster Assemble! [Open]

Rather than continuing the Kingdom Death: Monster assembly discussion in the acquisitions thread I've created a thread specifically for that purpose.  Post your tips, tricks, and little things you've noticed here and make the lives of your fellow hobbyist a little easier.

To start I'm assembling the minis on the "prologue" sprue, which are conveniently numbered.  While this should keep people from mixing parts together, it's still nice to see pictures!  First up is the lion.  So for things I've noticed:

• The face doesn't want to fit very well.  I had to do some trimming to get it in place, and it looks like I could have still cut away a little more.
  • Attach the lower jaw before placing the rest of the lion's head. If you attach the main part of the head first I don't think it's the end of the world but you'll likely have to cut the tab off of the jaw to slide it into place.
  • The hindquarters didn't fit together quite as nicely as it looked like they would when I dry-fitted it.  You can see the gaps this created below, but they should be easily filled.
  • I'm sure most of you have been at this longer than me, but for the new arrivals an easy way to get the mini to sit flat is to put all three feet in place with a drop of liquid cement and quickly align them as best you can.  Then flip the mini over and press down gently.  Polystyrene does not melt together instantly so you have a window to make adjustments before it sets.  It will probably create a small gap at one of the ankles but it will ensure that your mini doesn't have a paw that is at an angle.  Obviously to do it this way you need to glue the legs to the body before you glue on the feet.  If you go feet first he'll just stand as he stands.

post-13211-0-93250000-1443143805_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-65704400-1443143808_thumb.jpg

post-13211-0-94013100-1443143809.jpgpost-13211-0-15823000-1443143811.jpg

Next up is survivor "C"  This time I remembered to take a pre-assembly pic.  She is pretty straightforward but since I'm at it...

• Her left leg has a nice groove to ensure the hanging fabric goes in place properly.  Doing this first makes it really easy to glue her right leg in place.
  • Her weapon arm is actually covering two sprue attachment points, and should not be glued in place until her torso is attached to her legs.

post-13211-0-65880700-1443143813_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-79225100-1443143815.jpgpost-13211-0-18233300-1443143817.jpg

• Like 18

Good idea, I'm pretty new to this much assembly and I've only put together one plastic kit (a KD plastic pinup), so some great tips there! I've got my first sprue separated and ready for prep/assembly: played my first game with Zombicide survivors and a Reaper P65 sabertooth tiger blue tacked on a Monster base as proxies :)

• Like 7

Happy to see my idea take flight here. I'll jump in here to watch and give my own feedback when my stuff gets to me from Dave. ::):

• Like 5

I'm mostly done putting them together, I didn't thing to take picture as I went. Just the hands on the phoenix and the watcher to go. The lion was the only one that really had any gaps like that once it was finished. Over all I was surprised at how easy and well they went together. Aside from figuring out where a few pieces were meant to go these went together much easier than the Shadows of Brimstone minis despite having more pieces.

Edited by cmorse
  • Like 4

More productivity tonight. 

Mini "A"

• His face didn't want to go all the way back.  I ended up trimming a bit on the backside and it slid into place a little better.  There's now a small gap all around his face, but it should fill easily.
  • His wrist is an attachment point to the sprue, which of course leaves a bit of plastic to be trimmed off.  I went a little too far and made a gap to fill on the backside.
  • I just couldn't get the piece of fabric that is hanging down his side to fit perfectly in place even though you can where it's supposed to go.  I looked up the resin version to make sure I wasn't totally confused.  In the end I just put it where I liked the look of it, which might be slightly higher than its intended location.

post-13211-0-37835200-1443238886_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-17981400-1443238888.jpg

Mini "B"

• Included for completeness.  If you can't fit this guy together I submit to you that it may be time to look for a new hobby.
  • Well ok, just for something the attachment point on his shoulder is also a tab to connect his arm.  Don't cut too closely when removing him from the sprue.

post-13211-0-79904200-1443238889.jpgpost-13211-0-45678900-1443238891.jpg

Mini "D"

• The attachment point for the fabric hanging between her legs has a small tab.  Unfortunately, it was too big to fit where it was supposed to and needed a little trimming.  This one's hard to screw up since you could just cut it off and still have plenty of surface area to glue.
  • Her right arm attaches to the sprue at the shoulder join.  More of the usual if you don't trim enough it won't align but if you trim too much there's a small gap.  As you can probably tell by now I don't mind a small gap to fix later.  The back of her right hand and the backside of the stone face are slightly concave which gives you a secondary attachment point if you want to glue it to her left breast.  Since she's for gaming I opted for a little extra strength.

post-13211-0-13902400-1443238894_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-77853500-1443238895.jpg

These will fully cure overnight so tomorrow I may start an assembly line with gap filling and more assembly and some pre-priming cleaning.

• Like 13

I'm quietly fascinated by KD:Monster =] so I'll definitely be watching this. The minis are quite lovely =] I'm especially fond of Survivors C and D, they're fabulously posed and arghhh, I wish I could get my hands on them, haha. 

• Like 3

I'm mostly done putting them together, I didn't thing to take picture as I went. Just the hands on the phoenix and the watcher to go. The lion was the only one that really had any gaps like that once it was finished. Over all I was surprised at how easy and well they went together. Aside from figuring out where a few pieces were meant to go these went together much easier than the Shadows of Brimstone minis despite having more pieces.

::o:

Well, I'm impressed.

Mini "B"

• [*]Included for completeness. If you can't fit this guy together I submit to you that it may be time to look for a new hobby.

::D:

• Like 3

::o:

Well, I'm impressed.

Er, maybe I should have said mainly done putting the main ones together. The armor kits aren't getting touched until I play the game a bit. The watcher is now pretty much done though. Those phoenix hands aren't happening until there is a guide...

• Like 2

Today I've only assembled one mini because, well, football.  Here is the King's Man.

• If you attach his left leg and left forearm before gluing the sword in place it will not fit.  Personally I attached the leg and sword first, but I believe you could attach the forearm and then slide the leg with the sword already attached into place.
  • The tab on top of his head was too tall and needed to be shaved down a bit for his crown to seat properly.
  • The plume does not have as large of a tab as it needs.  While i think it would take a bit of force, I'm still worried about it coming off during play.  I may actually go to the effort of pinning the four I have left to assemble.
  • On the plus side, he is very stable and, like the lion, could be used without a base if desired.

post-13211-0-84665500-1443324585.jpgpost-13211-0-56131800-1443324587.jpg

• Like 9

I am really liking the KD minis and the game so far - have built the starting survivors and Lion-o - as noted the cat's face is a bit of a hard fit but not too bad. Some gaps to fill but nothing huge...

Here we have the end of my first hunt/showdown phase - two survivors left though one has been disemboweled and not much help. The female survivor killed the Lion by throwing her starting rock for a critcal hit that took the Lion's last wound. The combat and hunt itself has left her with several mental disorders that will make it challenging for her to be an effective hunter in the future....

004_zpsxqhyoug9.jpg

• Like 8