knarthex

House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

678 posts in this topic

who doesn't love old school battletech.  alpha strike is fun too though

5 people like this

Sweet digs! Just popping in to say hi and drop off some snacks. We'll have to get together for a game sometime.

7 people like this

I have a regiment plus of painted mechs, plus about 6 stars of omnis, and 2 stars of elementals if you need any reinforcments...

Oh and 2 companies of assorted armor....

What year are you using, and can we design our own mechs / modify them?

Light Horse for the win!

8)

George

8 people like this

Going to try and organise some wargaming for the next couple of weekends. I'm hoping to get a few people interested in playing a Frostgrave campaign, and I still haven't had a game with 2nd ed Kings of War.

6 people like this

Fate Accelerated it is.

setting is partially based on what minis I have painted. (yes goblins, bugbears, orcs, dwarves, elves and halflings.  No elephants.

18th century europe with magic and science.  Trains, no blimps - Wands and Staves that shoot poorly aimed fireballs are the military weapon of choice, but better have a melee weapon handy if it runs out of charges or misfires.  

So I just have to learn the new system, define a magic system, and figure out how to run it. 

should be fun! 

5 people like this

So, should I bust out the Snow Ravens, Ghost Bears, or Donnegal Guards for this encounter, or can I go a wee bit munchy and use my vehicle heavy merc force?

2 people like this

High Time I posted something in my own common room I suppose.

I like to build the table top itself. Create the setting, build the giant mushroom forest, assemble the docks but,

besides Terrain Building... 

War Games I've played or am interested in are:
  • Warlord & CAV — games published by Reaper 
  • Victorian Science Fiction — (aka VSF)
  • HoTT — Hordes of The Things
  • Sky Galleons of Mars — (SGoM)
  • Chainmail (Gygax|TSR)  â€” the olde one from the silver foil books
  • Warhammer Fantasy  â€” RIP; a game formerly published by Games Workshop
  • Kings of War 2 — from Mantic Games
  • Naval Wargames â€”  especially ACW (Ironclads)
  • Dystopian Wars  â€” by Spartan Games
Edited by TGP
4 people like this

Hello Fellow Gamers!

So, my games of choice (that include miniatures)

Song of Blades and Heroes

Warlord

Warmachine

Kings of War 2, which is a game that I have yet to play but looks like a lot of fun

and anything else that would be fun to play.

I'm primarily a skirmish gamer, simply because I don't have the time to put into armies (once the kids are out of the house that becomes a possibility).

I also paint minis for others.  I have some sci-fi minis that are intended for others' use and they will be a lot of fun once they are done.  I tend to stick with Fantasy/Steampunk type things. 

I'm also a very very early stage terrain builder, nothing awesome yet, but I'm getting how I will work down before I start on my projects that will be crazy levels of fun done.

4 people like this

Hello Fellow Gamers!

Warlord

How do those two compare?  SBH & WL

New campaign day! 

I just set up my basement to game in tonight.  Vacuumed, added a leaf to the table, moved boxes of games and book shelves.  

I have been here 6 months, and this is my first time hosting. 

This is really to set up planning for the next campaign, I am not even sure what game we are playing, that will be the first decision. 

A: Fate core / accelerated

- needs setting

B:  4e / 13th age mash up : old setting, explorers with a flying ship. 

C: 5th D&D 

- set in low (but not rare) magic world with lots of humanoids. 

D:pathfinder - if we can't agree on a new system. 

Something my group tried last year was a Fate Core : Supers game based on the Cities of Heroes/Villains PC game.

Someone made rules on how to handle the powers based on the structure of the computer game's wiki page. Turned out to be extremely entertaining. The hardest part of the game was remembering how flexible Fate Points can be.

1 person likes this

I have a regiment plus of painted mechs, plus about 6 stars of omnis, and 2 stars of elementals if you need any reinforcments...

It's only recently when I moved and stored my minis that I realized that most of my old Ral Partha BTech Lances (medium, heavy and assault if I recall correctly) were sculpted by Julie Guthrie.

That lady has been a part of my life far more than I ever realized.

And as a true Procrastius, they're mostly unassembled and unpainted.

It's also with BTech minis that I learned that soldering irons and pewter are a bad idea! My Kraken has a "bulge" in one arm.

4 people like this

Hello Fellow Gamers!

Warlord

With Reaper, you activate a Troupe, a section of your army and all miniatures can act in that troupe.  With SOBH, you activate each model individually, and you can turn over your initiative even before any models act!   The magic system is definitely different in how it is used, but it uses a similar "spellcasting by skill check" type of mechanic.  SOBH also allows you to pre-measure except in certain situations (jumping a ravine/rooftop to rooftop).  SOBH is simpler, but it has a great deal of depth.  Warlord is moderate as far as complication (my opinion), but much less so than Warmachine.  The other detail is that many models in warlord have multiple wounds, whereas SOBH that is fairly rare (excepting the  monsters with the Regeneration or Tough traits).  The rules for both systems seem very intuitive as far as once you get to the actual gameplay.  I've only done a few solo battles with each system so I could figure them out.  And I break one Warlord rule, which is to use square bases (I use rounds) and I use slightly larger bases for things like Tre Manor's orcs and my Gnolls.

The Morale rules in SOBH can cause some terrifying results, including wiping the table if you slaughter someone in a particularly gruesome manner.  What I like about it, and it's advanced version, is that any miniature can be used.  The Advanced rules want you to use Round bases, but I frankly don't care and would play anyone with any type of base.  This is especially true with Cavalry models, which I plan to put on 25x50 pill-shaped bases (I hate square bases, I will admit).  I have a few minis that will go onto square bases, but I prefer to use round bases overall.

Edited by Darkmeer
2 people like this

Hello Fellow Gamers!

Warlord

With Reaper, you activate a Troupe, a section of your army and all miniatures can act in that troupe.  With SOBH, you activate each model individually, and you can turn over your initiative even before any models act!   The magic system is definitely different in how it is used, but it uses a similar "spellcasting by skill check" type of mechanic.  SOBH also allows you to pre-measure except in certain situations (jumping a ravine/rooftop to rooftop).  SOBH is simpler, but it has a great deal of depth.  Warlord is moderate as far as complication (my opinion), but much less so than Warmachine.  The other detail is that many models in warlord have multiple wounds, whereas SOBH that is fairly rare (excepting the  monsters with the Regeneration or Tough traits).  The rules for both systems seem very intuitive as far as once you get to the actual gameplay.  I've only done a few solo battles with each system so I could figure them out.  And I break one Warlord rule, which is to use square bases (I use rounds) and I use slightly larger bases for things like Tre Manor's orcs and my Gnolls.

The Morale rules in SOBH can cause some terrifying results, including wiping the table if you slaughter someone in a particularly gruesome manner.  What I like about it, and it's advanced version, is that any miniature can be used.  The Advanced rules want you to use Round bases, but I frankly don't care and would play anyone with any type of base.  This is especially true with Cavalry models, which I plan to put on 25x50 pill-shaped bases (I hate square bases, I will admit).  I have a few minis that will go onto square bases, but I prefer to use round bases overall.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting a hold of Advanced Song of Blades. Lots of potential to use awesome Reaper figs.

1 person likes this

I was thinking..

House Figmentius has a Mini of the day going on.

Maybe House Tabletop could post pics/reports of battles?

Frogwarts - conversion of the month?

Procrastrius - ehhh whenever you're ready, maybe rough sketches or blueprints for your plans?

Edited by Xherman1964
1 person likes this