knarthex

House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

On 3/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, Chris Palmer said:

Wow, what a game!   We just wrapped up about 30 minutes ago.  

It was areal nail-biter against my arch-nemesis, the Heritor Gregorius...and then the Monarch (T-Rex) appeared...

Full edge-of-your-seat report, with photos,  to follow in a day or two. ::):

As promised, the report is posted:  

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78871-our-ghost-archipelago-campaign-2018/&do=findComment&comment=1701379

• Like 3

And it is Ghost Archipelago day again...

F5F616C2-56BB-411B-9767-7FC6D5AA2190.thumb.jpeg.5177e3dd6eeca42f5a132b5032c4949e.jpeg

Today’s scenario is a sargasso of lost ships...

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

And it is Ghost Archipelago day again...

Yeah, losing 3 of you crew to a shark with a bad case of the munchies, on the first turn, is never a good way to start a game...  ::P:

fullsizeoutput_3318.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Yeah, losing 3 of you crew to a shark with a bad case of the munchies, on the first turn, is never a good way to start a game...  ::P:

The sharks were a serious threat this game; not like some of the wandering monsters have been.  I also ended up losing one figure to a combined talonjack/shark event, although I was luckier in dealing with my initial shark.

For others, we used a scenario Chris or Knabe pulled off of the Ghost Archipelago Facebook page, which cranked up the danger of the wandering monsters because it was written as a solo scenario.  Each player had to reach the main cluster of derelicts using small boats (vulnerable to shark attack :blink:) and then fight off talonjacks (pterodactyls) which could pick you up and drop you in the water.  Attempting to climb aboard the derelicts was a chancy business that could also throw you in the water.

When all was said and done, I was glad to get away with a treasure and a badly wounded heritor; it could have been even worse...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

For others, we used a scenario Chris or Knabe pulled off of the Ghost Archipelago Facebook page, which cranked up the danger of the wandering monsters because it was written as a solo scenario.

Just so correct credit is given, the scenario came from Wagames Illustrated, Issue 361; and was written by the core rules' author, Joseph McCullough.

And from personal experience, I can vouch for Rob's statement: yes, it could be much worse.  I know.  :wacko:

Full report and photos to follow later this week...

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

fullsizeoutput_3318.jpeg

*** I will have to write you all a ticket!***

*** Can't you people read?***

CzQWiLwXUAA7oWE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/7/2018 at 7:03 PM, Crowley said:

Very much looking forward to the writeup for this one. 

Your wait is over! ::):

E27CA98E-2AC8-454A-9E12-1908CE4F6D42.jpeg

• Like 3

Death or unbeliveable survival? 

So My RPG group is using the Genesis generic system,  and using it to playing Warhammer Fantasy.

Genesis uses the framework developed for star wars,  where we had finished several short campaigns. 

We lost a player and ended up with a celestial mage,  a halfling- two handed swordsman, and "Just a guy"  who was a small time hunter with a forgettable face.   - so no one with social skills. 

after barely squeaking out a social victory in the court of an elector countess (social system is cool, but we had no social skills) 

We bailed on the intrigue and politics and joined a mercenary band fighting beastmen. 

This was fun as the DM is a great tactical gamer, he can invent what feels like set piece battles almost on the fly ...

but this time he didn't run the math - to get outside help we needed 10 triumphs (.083) chance per die,  with 4-8 dice rolled per round. 

all three of the PCs were killed, (mine first) and only the NPC captain survived (@ 3 of 14 wounds) 

We were given the option for our characters to have survived (-2 health, -4 health and 0 stamina, and my halfling at - 6 health) 

im not sure of the rules but it felt like a TPK to me. 

Im making a new PC the others are keeping theirs, the mercenaries obviously disband. 

What would you do? 

• Like 1

On 16/04/2018 at 1:01 PM, Evilhalfling said:

Death or unbeliveable survival? 

So My RPG group is using the Genesis generic system,  and using it to playing Warhammer Fantasy.

Genesis uses the framework developed for star wars,  where we had finished several short campaigns. 

We lost a player and ended up with a celestial mage,  a halfling- two handed swordsman, and "Just a guy"  who was a small time hunter with a forgettable face.   - so no one with social skills. 

after barely squeaking out a social victory in the court of an elector countess (social system is cool, but we had no social skills) 

We bailed on the intrigue and politics and joined a mercenary band fighting beastmen. 

This was fun as the DM is a great tactical gamer, he can invent what feels like set piece battles almost on the fly ...

but this time he didn't run the math - to get outside help we needed 10 triumphs (.083) chance per die,  with 4-8 dice rolled per round. 

all three of the PCs were killed, (mine first) and only the NPC captain survived (@ 3 of 14 wounds) 

We were given the option for our characters to have survived (-2 health, -4 health and 0 stamina, and my halfling at - 6 health) 

im not sure of the rules but it felt like a TPK to me. 

Im making a new PC the others are keeping theirs, the mercenaries obviously disband. 

What would you do? 

If you play a band of slayers, then a TPK is a win.

• Like 5

On 4/15/2018 at 8:01 PM, Evilhalfling said:

What would you do? 

To me, I guess it just depends on how attached you were to the character. Its often easy for me to just make a new character, but that's primarily because I tend to usually be the GM and don't get a lot of chances to be a PC. The end result is that I ALWAYS have tons of character options dancing around in my head. Way more ideas than I will ever get the chance to play. 

I do think that death needs consequences (and it sounds like yours will here even if you bring back the old character). However, I don't feel that death needs to be permanent so long as there are consequences (without consequences then what's the point?) FWIW: In my current Pathfinder game that I am running, I have given the party a Ring of Reincarnation that does just what it sounds like. However, it only has one charge. To recharge it, a character has to burn a hit die of HP (roll for it), and of course, the dead PC will almost certainly come back looking different. Now, I also plan on giving them the ability to regain some of those lost hit points -- otherwise there will be significant issues down the road, but the idea is that they are in a fairly gritty game and adventuring in a very dangerous area. At the same time, I like the ability to keep a story line going and it helps if the PCs stick around a while. ;) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

And how'd that work out for him?

he killed 3 squads of guardsmen before getting cut down. I lost the game by 1 vp because I just can't crack tanks. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

he killed 3 squads of guardsmen before getting cut down. I lost the game by 1 vp because I just can't crack tanks. 

Ouch.  And people wonder why I pack meltaguns in every squad.  Oh wait, it's because Catachans >.> (sure does help for anti-tank though!) 

• Like 2