knarthex

House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ouch.  And people wonder why I pack meltaguns in every squad.  Oh wait, it's because Catachans >.> (sure does help for anti-tank though!) 

yeah. interestingly enough I was fighting against catachans. unfortunately they brought a russ and a hell hound with, and necrons lack anti armor weapons other than destroyers, and really dumb looking vehicles (or huge things that don't fit at 50pl)

• Like 4

I've been getting some games of Age of Sigmar in at the local Warhammer shop lately, one last week and one yesterday.

Here's a pic from last weeks game, wherein my (mostly shamefully unpainted) dwarfs get slaughtered by the (quite awesomely converted and mostly nicely painted) Daemons of Nurgle.

5ae3d30608733_AoSgame.jpg.ea954fcd63c0fae9848979078941fa05.jpg

Big lesson learned here is that an all-dwarf army is incredibly slow, and thus terrible at capturing objectives. It forced me into rushing forward, which meant that I wasn't playing to the defensive strength of my army. Still, big units of warriors are actually pretty durable once they form a shield wall.

So last night I went for a mixed Order army and included some elves - two griffon riders and a unit of reaver cavalry - along with a token unit of dwarf warriors and an artillery battery of two organ guns and a human engineer ('cause dwarfs are going to love a human telling them how to shoot their guns better, right?).

I played against Daemons of Tzeentch and promptly got slaughtered again. :winkthumbs:

BUT the mistakes in this game were largely in deployment - I should have realised that my opponent would have ended up with the first turn because he had fewer unit to deploy and his army was fast and shooty, so he'd want to close the distance and get me within range, which means I should have deployed further back with just about everything. The cannons had the range to shoot over half way across the table, and the griffons and cavalry had the movement to threaten a similar distance. As it was, I deployed as far forward as possible and lost most of my ranged units on his first turn.

I'm going to try the same army list again next week, as I don't think I got a fair representation of what most of the units are capable of, and this time I'll try not to deploy like a scrub. Might swap one of the cannons out for more troops as well.

• Like 4

We played the Abandoned Watchtower scenario from the core rulebook today for our May Ghost Archipelago campaign game.  We had 5 of our regular 8 players. It was a brutal engagement in which Knabe mopped the jungle with my warband.  At some point a full report will follow, when I find the will to write it. ::P:

8B11FB56-AFBA-47B0-9B2B-E33CC4FDA8BF.jpeg

AC4C2807-B993-403F-8778-FD2985D6A3E1.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6

Gosh all these pictures. I miss playing wargames like these. Haven't played in a very long time. I need to find a new group, to be honest

@Chris Palmer: Those red/green/brown(?) rings? I'm assuming you use those to track hit points and what not? Could you go into detail? That is very clever. I really like that they just hang on the miniature. It seems a bit easier to manage then tokens on the ground next to them. 

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Arc 724 said:

Gosh all these pictures. I miss playing wargames like these. Haven't played in a very long time. I need to find a new group, to be honest

@Chris Palmer: Those red/green/brown(?) rings? I'm assuming you use those to track hit points and what not? Could you go into detail? That is very clever. I really like that they just hang on the miniature. It seems a bit easier to manage then tokens on the ground next to them. 

Thanks for sharing!

@Arc 724, we use those little rubber bands with a set of skirmish rules called Combat Patrol.  They signify: red = (wounds), black = (stun), green = (morale check), and white = (out of ammo).  They are available in any craft store and are sold in packs to use with a Rubber Band Loom

61YoeT39qGL._SL1024_.jpg

IMG_6990.JPG

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

@Arc 724, we use those little rubber bands with a set of skirmish rules called Combat Patrol.  They signify: red = (wounds), black = (stun), green = (morale check), and white = (out of ammo).  They are available in any craft store and are sold in packs to use with a Rubber Band Loom

Thanks you kind sir. The efficiency of it has caught my attention.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2018 at 3:30 PM, Chris Palmer said:

We played the Abandoned Watchtower scenario from the core rulebook today for our May Ghost Archipelago campaign game.  We had 5 of our regular 8 players. It was a brutal engagement in which Knabe mopped the jungle with my warband.  At some point a full report will follow, when I find the will to write it. ::P:

As promised, here is the report for game 5: The Abandoned Watchtowers

• Like 5

Looks like we’re still having picture problems...I pulled a Dragon Rampant game out of the portable set

today for my son and one of my

old friends. Bringing the boxes along was worthwhile. 

• Like 5

417B71CB-5CE4-478D-9814-610F01903D84.thumb.jpeg.51312b3132cad47d42e4cad383797035.jpeg

And here, finally, is a picture of the battlefield, assembled from the contents of my travel game kit. 

• Like 4

sw-legion-speeder-bike-1-160x160.jpg

Went to a new FLGS this weekend. Really nice on the inside with booths for eating and 3 really long standing tables for wargaming as well as RPG tables with comfy chairs. I really hope they do well. Their location is hit or miss and the city (the same one I live in) does not seem friendly to business. They Tax them out the butt and have all these rules. Makes me sick they would do that when the city has been on hard times for like 20 years now. 

Anyway, I meant to say, A guy there plays Star Wars Legion and gave me a super quick demo. I was impressed with it from the dice to the cards. It was a Fantasy Flight title you can tell. The only thing that bothered me was they switched to a 32mm scale. The models are more detailed and that's nice but I really wished they kept with the same scale as Imperial Assault. 

• Like 4

I’ve been playing a couple of Burrows and Badgers games with my son who is 7. I have painted up enough models for small war bands. Still more models to be completed but as a simple game it nice and easy to play and immersive. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Edsterdoom said:

I’ve been playing a couple of Burrows and Badgers games with my son who is 7. I have painted up enough models for small war bands. Still more models to be completed but as a simple game it nice and easy to play and immersive. 

That's good to hear.  My brother picked up a copy and has been after me to be painting a war band before Gencon.

• Like 3

I played gaslands for the first time last night. Results were mixed. Fun move system, combat was kind of a mess.

I was the pink car. I lost after getting exploded right before the finish line.

20180613_222054.jpg

• Like 3

5 fifth level characters (monk, wizard, 2 hex blade warlocks, and an alchemist) entered an aboleth's lair last night. The monk and warlock didn't make it, and the wizard and alchemist will be very sick until they get cured.

IMG_20180613_224138.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

5 fifth level characters (monk, wizard, 2 hex blade warlocks, and an alchemist) entered an aboleth's lair last night. The monk and warlock didn't make it, and the wizard and alchemist will be very sick until they get cured.

IMG_20180613_224138.jpg

Which one is "you"?

• Like 2