knarthex

Dragon Magazine- Issues 34-112

17 posts in this topic

article removed

Edited by knarthex
3 people like this

Hey folks!

I have the above issues of Dragon from back in the 70s - 80s, plus #22 @ Best of 1 & 2.

If there is a question that you have regarding an article in one of those, I will try to look it up for you as soon as I can....

No, I will not scan in a whole issue....

A single article.... well....

Nice!

But I also remember WotC made PDF copies of the whole collection a 10-15 yeas or so ago.

But Dragon Magazine in those days (pre-internet) were a monthly must for me and my school game club.

1 person likes this

removed

Edited by knarthex
2 people like this

Hey folks!

I have the above issues of Dragon from back in the 70s - 80s, plus #22 @ Best of 1 & 2.

If there is a question that you have regarding an article in one of those, I will try to look it up for you as soon as I can....

No, I will not scan in a whole issue....

A single article.... well....

Nice!

But I also remember WotC made PDF copies of the whole collection a 10-15 yeas or so ago.

But Dragon Magazine in those days (pre-internet) were a monthly must for me and my school game club.

I didn't know that!

I have seen indexes, but that's it.

Do You have a link?

I want to see #28, for stats on Jack of Shadows....

8)

George

It was something they sold on CD-ROMs (or was it DVD-ROMs). I haven't looked them up in years so I don't know if they're available online or not.

Edit: It was in 1999 on CD-ROMs. Dragon Magazine Archive, issues 1-250. Looks like it became a collectors item.

Edited by Cranky Dog

Got them here. Glad I did, too... they weren't available as long as I thought they'd be.

Got them here. Glad I did, too... they weren't available as long as I thought they'd be.

From what I can find, they were incompatible with Macs, though maybe not an issue these days with the modern PDF readers.

Also there were copyright issues with Phil Foglio and Wormy comics, so they weren't 100% complete, but complete enough.

I preferred Yamara comics anyway. :lol:

Do You have a link?

8)

George

I looked in 28 but didn't see anything about jack of shadows. I looked in the index and didn't see anything there either.

From what I can find, they were incompatible with Macs, though maybe not an issue these days with the modern PDF readers.

Also there were copyright issues with Phil Foglio and Wormy comics, so they weren't 100% complete, but complete enough.

I preferred Yamara comics anyway. :lol:

Nah, the files worked fine on a Mac (I know, I still have the collection) - the archival software was Windows only (I think up through Win2k), but the .pdf files opened just fine in Acrobat.

The collection was only available for a short while because some (perhaps unavoidable, since the entire collection series archived was basically done before digital archives were anything other than a "probably someday" pipe dream) shortcuts had been done, in terms of securing rights (or confirming they had been secured), etc. - so the initial batch of them went out, there was a kerfluffle (with, it must be said, some justification on the part of those doing the kerfluffling), and after the first imprint, I don't think any more were produced. So, yeah, if you have one, it's worth some money.

Which is too bad, because it was one of the first (still basically pre-Internet) attempts at a large-scale digital archive, and was pretty cool for what it was.

Do You have a link?

8)

George

I looked in 28 but didn't see anything about jack of shadows. I looked in the index and didn't see anything there either.

He's under "Shadowjack" in Giants in the Earth, in issue 29 -

I won't copypasta the whole article (it's a rights thing...) - but here's the precis -

Roger Zelaznys SHADOWJACK

25th level thief,

9th (18th) level fighter,

9th (18th) level magic-user

ARMOR CLASS: 4 or 0

MOVE: 9†or 18â€

HIT POINTS: 102 or 123

NO. OF ATTACKS: 3/2 or 2/1

DAMAGE/ATTACK: Normal or +9

SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below

SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below

MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil

STRENGTH: 13 or 18 (00%)

INTELLIGENCE: 18 (77%)

WISDOM 17

DEXTERITY: 18 (00%) or 19

CONSTITUTION: 19

CHARISMA: 17

HIT BONUS: Normal or +6

PSIONIC ABILITY: In shadows only

N.B. All information set in italics is applicable only when Shadowjack is in the shadows.

Note that the GitE characters were often, by modern standards, really really over-the-top in terms of power levels, for various reasons - in some cases rivaling or even exceeding the stats provided for some Higher Powers in the first printing of Deities&Demigods. As time went on, they did get somewhat more reasonable, as I recall.

The collection was only available for a short while because some (perhaps unavoidable, since the entire collection series archived was basically done before digital archives were anything other than a "probably someday" pipe dream) shortcuts had been done, in terms of securing rights (or confirming they had been secured), etc. - so the initial batch of them went out, there was a kerfluffle (with, it must be said, some justification on the part of those doing the kerfluffling), 

What happened was the New York Times company vs. Tasini case, where it was decided "in licensing back issues of the newspaper for inclusion in electronic databases such as LexisNexis, could not license the works of free-lance journalists contained in the newspapers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times_Co._v._Tasini

This was also why many Scholarly article datbases lost huge swaths of content as the ones running the databases would rather just remove the articles rather than track down and pay the original authors.

This case was WHY WotC  and Kenzer had an 'Amicable Agreement' that let Kenzer publish Hackmaster 4E as a humourous reprint of AD&D along with Preferential treatment for the Kingdoms of Kalamor line.

Here's an old bit of intel...

http://www.sfwa.org/News/news3.htm

January, 1999

Call for authors involved in the WoTC/Dragon Magazine reprint CD 

http://www.sfwa.org/News/classact.htm

Call to authors involved in Dragon Magazine CD

Science fiction and romance writer Rosemary Edghill (AKA eluki bes shahar) has called for authors whose works may be published in the upcoming Wizards of the Coast/Dragon Magazine CD to contact her regarding joining a class action suit against the publisher. Ms Edghill may be contacted at [email protected]

Wizards of the Coast intends to sell a CD Rom reprinting issues #1-#250 of Dragon magazine, without obtaining permission from the authors of the works. More information may be found in articles: 

New CD from Wizards will not pay for rights 

New CD from Wizards will not pay for rights

Wizards of the Coast intends to issue a CD Rom reprinting issues #1-#250 of Dragon magazine, without paying for the rights.

SFWA president Rob Sawyer has spoken to the CEO of Wizards, Peter Adkinson, who has said he will investigate the matter.

However, if you had a story or an article in the first 250 issues of Dragon, it is worth your while -- and a prudent step in the care of your career -- to write to WoTC and express your concern.

The gentleman in charge of the CD project is Anthony Valterra, Wizards of the Coast, P.O. Box 707, Renton, WA 98057-0707.

Sharon Lee [email protected]

SFWA Executive Director 

Copyright must be filed on upcoming WotC CD release Important Information for authors with stories in Dragon Magazine

Copyright must be filed on upcoming WotC CD release

Anyone contemplating legal action regarding the Wizards of the Coast CD (see previous article Wizards of the Coast to issue CD without paying for reprint rights) should be aware that Federal Registration of copyright may give certain benefits. You are recomended to file a FORM TX with the US Copyright Office. This copyrights your work - do not assume that WotC/TSR has done this through publication of the Work.

The form can be downloaded from the Library of Congress site:http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/. You will need to have Adobe Reader, available as a free download from www.adobe.com in order to do this.

When you send off the forms, include an stamped and self addressed envelope with the material. The Copyright Office will date-stamp it and mail it back. This will serve as your interim proof of registration, as there is currently a 4-6 month delay in processing applications.

It is important that these papers be filed before the CD-ROM is released. Having filed these papers could result in a stronger claim in any legal action.

From what I saw, Wotc announced and released the original dragon cd-rom AFTER the original state cases OKed the use of electronic reproductions without compensation and before the overturnings of that decision.

http://www.darkwood.org/sj/misc/sjml...v1999.n009.txt some discusion

1 person likes this

Wow. They reprinted all the content without getting permission from the original authors or paying them a cent?

Yeah, I can see why that was yanked.

Wow. They reprinted all the content without getting permission from the original authors or paying them a cent?

At the time some folks felt the the law allowed for electronic archival without compensation. A State Supreme Court agreed with the notion. Two US Supreme Court Justices even agreed,

Heck the text of the ruling seemed to indicate a PDF distribution might actually have BEEN close enough to Â§201© since that IS in the original context. But that would have taken ANOTHER court case setting to the Supreme Court.

Section 201© does not authorize the copying at issue here. The Publishers are not sheltered by §201© because the Databases reproduce and distribute articles standing alone and not in context, not "as part of that particular collective work" to which the author contributed, "as part of … any revision" thereof, or "as part of … any later collective work in the same series."

Bolding mine.

Makes me wonder how National Geographic handles their own DVD archives. It covers 123 years (1888-2012) and has tons of authors and photos.

Is it because they're a non-profit organization? Is it because of that "articles standing alone and not in context" vs "collective works" Frank just mentioned?

After thirty years of collecting, I'm sitting on a (nearly) complete run of Dragon magazines.  The CD-ROM collection (which I also own) totally cut down the value of the original magazines - which has made unloading them on the collector's market a next to impossible task.  FYI, the CD-ROMs are NOT complete as some of the content was left out for a variety of reasons.

The Egg

Makes me wonder how National Geographic handles their own DVD archives. It covers 123 years (1888-2012) and has tons of authors and photos.

Is it because they're a non-profit organization? Is it because of that "articles standing alone and not in context" vs "collective works" Frank just mentioned?

Or maybe they've always had an ironclad contract.