Did you find it good and durable ?

C.

#2 eastman

eastman

Mad Scientist

• Members
  • 3021 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

I've used the Armory grey primer and would rate it OK.

With all the praises I've seen posted, I will probably try Floquil or Tamiya next.

As to the question of how durable is the primer (and also the Reaper Pro Paints) - last Thursday, I brought my recently completed Tiki to our game session to show off. When one of the people was looking at Tiki, they dropped him on to the table (Tiki is a bit top heavy, so I'll believe that it was an accident - this time). He fell about 18-20" onto a table covered with other minis, paint bottles, a pair of scissors and directly on to a flat metal working file. Other than a half-millimeter square paint chip on the back edge of the head and a little wear on the base, Tiki still looks fine.

Just goes to show that all the extra layers of sealer really do pay off.
"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly" - www.Despair.com
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do" - attributed to Edgar Degas
"A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles" - Vorlon Ambassador Kosh Naranek, Babylon 5
"I see ... lead people" - me
"I love the smell of DullCote in the morning, it smells like ... VICTORY" - me
"Have you joined The Cult of Purple & TealTM yet? You know you want to." - me
"how many of YOUR club's members are in Masters? Hmm? ;-)" - Evil Sue

#3 Christopher777

Christopher777

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:37 PM

MAy I ask what you have used in the Past ?

Ive tried Floquil, Good but not so durable

Tamiya, Amazing Stuf!!!

Looking to try Armory.

#4 Kelcore

Kelcore

Hellhound

• Bones Supporter
  • 2892 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 08:50 PM

Every time I've used Armory stuff, the primer's come out looking fuzzy. NOT a great surface to paint over.

That's just the white primer, mind ye. I've never really had a problem with the black primer. On the rare occasion that I prime black, that is.
If you can't be a good influence, be a horrible example.

"The beauty of the internet is that it gives little people the chance to be a bad motherf***** without shooting up the school.

Have empathy and ignore em."

-Doug Stanhope

#5 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5596 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 10:01 PM

When Armory white works, it works very well, and would be one of my favorite primers. The rub, however, is when it WORKS. I have yet to buy a can that works right off the bat, and although a few cans could be saved, most couldn't. The problem is that the stuff comes out often very, VERY grainy. I'm not sure what their problem is (poor quality control I guess, or poor shipping/storage techniques) but I won't buy another can ever again...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#6 jrok72

jrok72

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:47 PM

I haven't had a problem with Armory black primer, but ran into a few problems with their white. Got a second can of white just to make sure I didn't get a bad can.

#7 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:34 AM

I would avoid armory primer.
I've heard enough people complain about it including friends who have said that it can be fuzzy or lumpy.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

http://www.artfire.c...nchantedRegalia

http://www.pinterest.../amandabielski/

#8 Jaligard

Jaligard

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:42 AM

I would avoid armory primer.
I've heard enough people complain about it including friends who have said that it can be fuzzy or lumpy.

I've got some Armory Gray now and it's not too bad. I don't know enough others to compare it to. The first few times it was very blotchy but the key is to follow the directions. Shake the can for 60 seconds, spray from 12 inches and then make sure to clean the nozzle afterwards.

#9 claymoore

claymoore

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:36 PM

I have to agree with Enchantra. Be leary of Armory White Primer. Both cans I've used (purchased at seperate times) were defective, producing splatter instead of smooth coats.

#10 pae

pae

The All-Seeing Eye

• Artists
  • 5162 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:43 PM

I had a can of Armory white primer. It went into the trash after the first 4 minis I primed with it turned out very lumpy.

I haven't had any problems with Krylon white primer. I'd like to try the Tamiya primer if I can get my hands on it.

Another Armory product to avoid is the Armory Matte Sealer. Their definition of 'matte' is 'so shiny it looks like the mini is completely wet'.

#11 Christopher777

Christopher777

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:21 PM

Hello,

I have a background in Chemcial engineering.

A little Chem info on primer.

Primer is made up of tiny little particles, microscopic actualy, of solid material. This allows the primer to grip the metal better than paint. Its the same with the Tamiya, its just the grain is much finer.

The "fuzzy" look everyone is describing here is a result of bad priming form, not bad primer. If you hold the can to far, or do passes to quick, the primer will actually dry in the air, and the particles will clump together sticking to the mini. This is what causes primer to flake or rub off when you handel a primer mini. It also explains why GW "primer" (which is actaully just paint in a can, I had it confirmed by the company) doesnt come off when you handel it, because it is made purely of liquid.

Give primers like that another shot, but make sure you read the directions. Hold the can no more than a fot away and make sure you primer in cooler, non humid conditions. Also if it is too cold it will distrupt it.

Chris

#12 claymoore

claymoore

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:37 PM

The "fuzzy" look everyone is describing here is a result of bad priming form, not bad primer. If you hold the can to far, or do passes to quick, the primer will actually dry in the air,

I have never had this with any primer except armory and I have used over a dozen different primers. My priming form is just fine. Their primer is defective. When the Armory failed I just picked another brand from my shelf and it worked perfectly. I have read the same experience from more than twenty painters on various e-groups/lists. They only had trouble with the Armory brand of white primer.

#13 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

I spray prime only when it is warm and not humid outside. Otherwise I use paint on primer. And the one time I did use armory because an ex BF bought it, I held it a foot away from the minis and I still found that it filled in detail and was lumpy or clumpy or just plain fuzzy. The day was beautiful and sunny so I cannot blame the weather for that one.

I've used Krylon primers and not had the same problem at all.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

http://www.artfire.c...nchantedRegalia

http://www.pinterest.../amandabielski/

#14 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5596 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:30 PM

As one of the detractors, I have to agree with the above. The problem is not with my technique, but with the primer. I've been doing minis and plastic models for probably close to 20 years. I have considerable experience with different media. The problem is that the primer is terrible.

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#15 Tonboko

Tonboko

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Good to know I am not the only one to have issues with this primer. Thankfully the stuff was able to be removed with nailpolish remover (the only thing I had handy at the time) and I was able to salvage my figures. I'm either going to try the GW stuff or stick with Testors from now on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users